Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Veteran Halfpass's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,526

    Default PSD what would you do.....

    As you all know Alee got diagnosed with Bilateral PSD 3 months ago.

    She has now finished a course of shockwave therapy and box rest and although better on her left hind is still lame on her right hind.

    When I took her to the vets on Monday she was too naughty to be reassessed properly although the above could be clearly seen. The plan was to take her home and turn her out then reassess in a month. I lunged her yesterday just to get her used to behaving in the arena again and she is quite definatly lame and uncomfy on her right hind.

    I spoke to my vet who read through the vet report from the RVC which suggested she is reviewed after one month then again after 3 months even thought she is still lame this to me doesn't make sense as why would you not treat a horse that is still lame?

    I had a long chat with my vet who in all honesty is not holding out hope for Alee at all and said that if she was his he would cut his losses now.

    She is 4 and had this injury having only been in very light work of a month. My vets argument is that even with an op she probably won't stay sound for her to do the work I want her to. She isn't and never will be a light hack.

    Now my options are :-

    Send her to Twemlows to be a recipient mare - I have spoken to them and they are interested in taking her, They would keep her till 12 if she prooves useful and then PTS

    PTS now why prolong the inevitable.

    Have the op and take the risk that in a few months time it probably either won't have worked or she won't hold up to be in ridden work and then make the decision
    to do one of the above and run the risk of loosing the place at Twemlows.

    Obviously (as much as it shouldn't it has to) finances do play a part. I have, since Alee was 2, kept a horse that I can't ride. Obviously as a youngster you can handle this but she will be 5 next year and I feel like i'll still be paying out for a young horse that I will never get to enjoy!! Plus my insurance will pay out if she is PTS now but not in years time.

    If she goes to Twemlows I will get the pleasure of seeing her breeding but will have no control over who she goes to or what happens to her but she will have a purpose in life and will hopefully be happy.

    If she is PTS now I will know that she is pain free and will also know that no one will ill treat her - however although very slim there might be chance that the op could work although remember that I don't know how much work she will stand up to if she does ever come sound.

    I am in such a dilema my head says one thing and my heart says something else. It tears me apart having to see her uncomfy everyday and not know exactly where we are going and if I will ever enjoy her again.

    If anyone has opinions or ideas on this please help me out.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Leics/Northants border
    Posts
    1,099

    Default Re: PSD what would you do.....

    I don't get why your vets are so negative; As you know my pony was operated on last October; He is now not only back in full work, but doing more than he ever was, including jumping!

    The success rate is fairly good for hind PSD, and if he has a neurectomy and fasciotomy then he should be sound with the correct rehab after.

    Will your insurance pay for the operation; mine was about 1300 incl a weeks stay

  3. #3
    Veteran Halfpass's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,526

    Default Re: PSD what would you do.....

    As far as I know they are negative because she did it having been ridden relatively little and generally speaking this happens to horses that have done a lot more. Also she didn't come 100% sound with nerve blocks and the neurectomy only works aswell as a nerve block apparently.

  4. #4
    Old nag LauraBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    14,174

    Default Re: PSD what would you do.....

    Really sorry to read this, have been following your posts about Alee

    Based on everything you have said, I think I would probably PTS now. So sorry it has come to this xxxxx

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,229

    Default Re: PSD what would you do.....

    What awful news

    I would get a second opinion from someone at the Newmarket vet hospitals ( like Sue Dyson) before making any decisions.

    Is she paddock sound? Or only going lame when worked?

  6. #6
    Sport horse
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    433

    Default Re: PSD what would you do.....

    my mare is going for the OP on monday has done the same psd.

    i would for sure not pts unless you no for sure that is her only problem,as when you read up on it they say something like 80% of psd cases are a secondary thing to something else what diagnostics as she has?

    i would most defently get a second opinuon!
    my mare has been off since april and only last week was she actually diagnosed i have had three diffrent vets look at her includeing a partner of rossedales to all tell me there is nothing wrong with my horse until the last vet see her and she has finally been diagnosed psd is very tricky!

    i really hope there is an answer other than pts for this young lady. good luck with her.
    Twinkle ~ Amber ~ Ollie

  7. #7

    Default Re: PSD what would you do.....

    E, if Alee were mine, I would have her PTS now
    As hard as it is you have done everything you can for her.

    Once the descision is made and the deed done, you will feel much better.

    If you do decide to have her pts and you cant face it yourself, I will come and be with her for you if you like??

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,167

    Default Re: PSD what would you do.....

    I would have her PTS, if shes having problems at 4 even with the op her long term future is not going to be good.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    10,284

    Default Re: PSD what would you do.....

    [ QUOTE ]

    The success rate is fairly good for hind PSD, and if he has a neurectomy and fasciotomy then he should be sound with the correct rehab after.


    [/ QUOTE ]

    Not true for every case.
    We have had 2 inoperable cases at home

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    10,284

    Default Re: PSD what would you do.....

    I really feel for you, horrid situation

    If you think you've explored all options and gained the best opinions then I'd have her PTS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Find Horses For Sale