Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Schoolmaster

Default THE DUTCH GAG BIT

Hi all

Can some one please give me some info on the Dutchb gag bit - ie. who it's suitable for, what it's action is, how it works etc.

Thank you :-)

Old nag

Default Re: THE DUTCH GAG BIT

Dutch gag in my understanding works with poll pressure to lower the head.

Thats as far as I understand it..... not sure how it acts on the bars or the tongue etc.
    MQ

Veteran

Welcome to the forum! For some reason this bit seems to be quite contentious! personally i quite like them, although i'm not keen on them with jointed mouthpiecces, prefer straight bar. Not wildly dissimilar in action to a pelham IMO and have never had a horse react badly to one - guess with any bit its only as strong as your hands! Many people use them for fast work/ jumping where a bit more stopping power is needed. you can also fit a strap (similar to a curb) on the back of these to limit the rotation of the bit and make it a bit milder.

Dark horse is as dark horse does.

the dutch gag generally acts to lower the horses head as it produces poll pressure. xx

a dutch gag bit is a very common option for a strong horse as it has a leverage action which exerts pressure on the horses poll forcing him to drop his head and listen (usually(!!) )

it is often used with younger riders who dont use their hands properly and it is then a very sharp bit

If a horse is using a dutch gag often they don't suit a horse and you can easily tells this because every time you take a pull the horse throws his head to try and get away from the pressure

whereas horses that it suits just tends to get on with it

you can get it in different severenesses as some are fatter than others, some have a link in the middle and you can also get happy mouth versions in white, pink, lilac and baby blue

hope this helps

Veteran

In the write up shop4bits says gags have a head raising action?!
    My pony's ridden in a Jeffries threee ring with revolver. I don't find it lowers his head at all.

Schoolmaster

I had a problem with my horse bearing down on kimblewicks and pelhams and generally being forehandy at speed. I find he keeps his head up with a 3 ring.

I started out, once or twice, using the bottom hole only for hunting. I then moved up to the second hole only. I am now toying with the idea of using the bit ring and first hole with a rounding. It has taken about 3 years to move up thorough the rings as he is more balanced and better schooled.

[ QUOTE ]
    Dutch gag in my understanding works with poll pressure to lower the head.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I notice several people say this (so nothing personal, you just happened to be the first ) I use a DG with A and I don't think it DOES actually have much poll pressure unless it's used with a curb strap in which case yes, it would. Without a curb strap I think the action is more one of raising the head. But that might just be me

“You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time."

Gags are for raising the head not lowering it