Veteran

Default redi grass horse feed

hi, posting on behalf of a friend, her horse has been off with an injury for a few months and has been in a small paddock now for about a month, at the start he had plenty of grass.

but now he has been out there for a while he has absolutely no grass left, there is no where else for her to put him as shes on a yard and was lucky to get him the small paddock, anyway she is allowed to give him a small haynet .

but he doesnt seem very happy and most the day stands in the middle of the paddock looking very sorry for himself. He comes in at night so gets haylege at night, but mainly wondering if theres something like redi grass etc she could put out in big buckets for him to munch on during the day, thankyou for any advice!

Member of the "Addicted to Rollestone Foal-Cam" clique

"Member of the We-Love-Rollestones-Chooks Clique''

Founding member of the 'Yes it is an Arab and yes I intend to jump it and no I am not mad' clique.

Default Re: redi grass horse feed

He could probably have readi grass, it is just dried grass. If he is very fat she shouldn't give him a huge bucket but a little bit would be ok.

We used to feed readi grass as a 'mixer' and the horses loved it - just be a little careful as I know a couple of people whose horses have had choke which they attributed to this feed.

Old nag

I feed it to mine if they're ever on box rest but you need to wet it - it's so fine and dry that I'd worry about them choking on it.
    Are you a showjumper, eventer, dressage, endurance or showing rider? If you're a professional rider, semi-professional rider or enthusiastic amateur rider looking for sponsorship we have a couple of spaces available to represent riders who are looking to increase the amount of sponsors they have. Find out more here: http://bit.ly/ZJ0Uz1

[ QUOTE ]
    He could probably have readi grass, it is just dried grass. If he is very fat she shouldn't give him a huge bucket but a little bit would be ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto this - also I'm sure that hifi can also be used as a forage replacement so that could also be used. Personally, I'd just chuck some hay out for him.

Old nag

I give it to mine damp, and for ponies that absolutely scoff it, haven't had any problems.