Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Re: EQUINE CRIME PREVENTION

Staffordshire police has just launched a new scheme for tack marking. If you are a horsewatch member in Staffs you will be given a unique reference number which consist of the force code (21), then the divisional code (CE) then it goes up in numerical order. This is then put on the 'watch' database which covers all watches (neighbourhood watch, rural watch etc) and can be searched on so if saddlery is recovered then it can be immediately identifiable unlike the postcode system, so if possible offenders are stopped with saddlery in the early hours the looser can be contacted instantly! They have also invented a 'cantle plate' which is flourescent so it glows in the dark in the tack room, so if anyone does break in they can see that the saddle is security marked instantly, not have to take it away only to dump it later on! a fantastic idea!! The idea is to stop them taking it to begin with and if they do then they have more chance of recovering the stolen stuff and getting the offenders!
    The tack marking is free but the plates are £5 for the first plate and £2.50 for every saddle after (for one owner, not the yard) cheap at half the cost!
    Contact Pc Kate Hardt at Hilton Hall stables 03001234455.

Default Re: EQUINE CRIME PREVENTION

Hi all;

I have been working with the Ascot, Windsor and Maidenhead neighbourhood watch team on a new IP CCTV system, which you can watch your camera remotely from your own home or anywhere via the internet.

It also records images, sends alerts and many more functions. It uses the internet to send the images, like an ADSL line.

If you are interested in trying this system out let me know (pm), as I am looking for volunteers (beta testers), can provide up to 65% discount on kit and nearly zero monthly fees for the brave person.

The web address is www.kaduco.com

It is a new system, a start-up company, not a scam, if in doubt you can call the Windsor police station during the day and ask for Jeff P. (neighbourhood watch coordinator), and he will tell you all the above again.

I can provide a demo account details if you would like to try it before volunteering for it pm for the details.

All feedback welcome, pls.

Thanks

LG

Red face Re: EQUINE CRIME PREVENTION

Hi,
    A warning to people in the Brentwood, Essex area to be extra vigilant. My horse had his mane tampered with yesterday, it was cut and knotted, two other horses in my boys field also had there mane knotted.Please report anything you are not sure about however small it might seem.

Hi. Just a tip really on peoples hay. We had loads of bales stolen last year from the yard and we now cut one string when we stack them, obviously the stack is then not as secure the higher you stack but the yard was targetted again last week and although they made a real mess in the hay barn they weren't able to steal much. Also our ponies are freeze-marked and chipped and have a sign from Farmkey stating they are marked but I couldn't find one from the micro-chipping company. I had some signs made up from a guy on Ebay, nice and cheap.

Just backed

Default Re: EQUINE CRIME PREVENTION SOLUTION AT LAST?

Quote Originally Posted by Iberiandressage View Post
    One of my pals owns a tack shop and they have had a preview of a brand new NATIONAL !!!!!!!!! equestrian crime prevention service. Finally we hope the answer to protecting our belongings has been delivered by the National Equestrian Crime Database at www.necd.org.uk.

You simply register everything on their website and get unique numbers for everything you own from horses to horse boxes. If anything get nicked, apparently it can be tracked by everyone public and police...... You also get SMS alerts and you can even generate these to announce to all your local pals if you see any suspicious activity. It looks like high tech and a really clever service.

I am told early adopters can sign up in July and it goes really big in September.

WORTH A TRIAL DONT YOU THINK?
    Wow - that sounds really great!

Old nag

Default Re: EQUINE CRIME PREVENTION SOLUTION AT LAST?

Quote Originally Posted by Iberiandressage View Post
    One of my pals owns a tack shop and they have had a preview of a brand new NATIONAL !!!!!!!!! equestrian crime prevention service. Finally we hope the answer to protecting our belongings has been delivered by the National Equestrian Crime Database at www.necd.org.uk.

You simply register everything on their website and get unique numbers for everything you own from horses to horse boxes. If anything get nicked, apparently it can be tracked by everyone public and police...... You also get SMS alerts and you can even generate these to announce to all your local pals if you see any suspicious activity. It looks like high tech and a really clever service.

I am told early adopters can sign up in July and it goes really big in September.

WORTH A TRIAL DONT YOU THINK?
    Sounds like complete rubbish actually.
    Nothing is more identifiable than a post code, it costs nothing to put the mark on, it costs nothing to read it and you don't have to phone some call centre to identify it
    If you sign up to Horsewatch/Countrywatch/ NHWatch many schemes have SMS and email notifications

I agree. I am still at a complete loss to understand why people don't freezemark their horses and instead choose microchipping which IS NOT a visible deterrent. IMHO if the horse ain't marked don't moan when its nicked.

From WHW website as I thought it might be of use/interest:

Sadly, horse thefts do happen, but there are things that owners can do to deter thieves.

Things you can do:

Ensure that your horse is freezemarked or microchipped: This is easy to arrange and your horse’s details are put onto a central computer. Most companies will offer discounts on group bookings, so if you’ve got a group of friends who need their horses chipped it's worth getting together because this may be more cost effective.

Keep your passport securely locked away: It is illegal to sell a horse, export a horse or present it for slaughter without a valid passport, so keeping this safe will help protect your horse.

Your passport also contains details of your horse’s markings, which will help the police with their identification process should your horse go missing. It’s worth taking some good quality photographs of your horse for identification purposes too. Make sure you take some at different times of the year – just think how different your horse looks in the summer and the winter!

Keep your horse in a safe place: If you keep your horse at grass, make sure the gates are secure. Many people padlock one side but lots of gates can be lifted off their hinges. Simply putting another chain and padlock at the hinged end may act as a deterrent.

Unfortunately it is impossible to make premises completely secure, but World Horse Welfare Field Officer Jacko Jackson suggests some simple measures which can improve security for your horse:

* Look at where your horse lives. Examine the boundary - is it secure with solid fences and locked gates? Are there other owners in the vicinity who you could create a Horse Watch group with?

* Can you carry out or improve on any of the above? Can the horse be stabled at night? If so, the nearer to home the better. However, if you stable your horse it isn’t feasible to lock your horse in for fire reasons. This means you must look at the perimeter. Lights which are activated by passive infra-red sensors are a good investment.

* CCTV is becoming more cost effective – if your stables are close to home they can be monitored from the house, or you could install an old video recorder at the stables, set to run during the night. This will show you who has been into the yard overnight.

* If electricity is a problem, go to a car breakers and find an old battery, car horn, a door light switch and an old headlamp. Discreetly connect these up to the gates or even the stable or tack room doors, so that as soon as they are opened the lights and noise are activated (remember to fit an isolation switch for the daytime).

* It is also possible to modify a domestic alarm system for stable use, but it is important to use door contacts rather than sensors to avoid false alarms. Should your budget allow, you could consider active infra-red beams covering the approach to the stables; these can be connected to a radio transmitter and provide a silent alarm to your house.

* Last but not least, a dog may not be very high-tech, but very effective!
    Apologies for the spelling - autocorrect hates me...

My views are mine alone, and do not represent those of any other individual or organisation.

Veteran

The problem with passports and m/chips is that chips can be dug out (poor horse) and replacement or dup. passports can be applied for.

In France we have a second ownership document which should be kept separate from the passport. This paper is returned to Haras Nationaux every time a horse is sold. So the central database for all horses in France has a record of ownership. This paper is 'proof' of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by squirtlysmum View Post
    I am the Crime Reduction Officer for Shepway in Kent and I cover 144 square miles which includes a large rural area.
    My request is please report occurances of suspicious incidents and thefts. Many times I find attending premises people have not bothered to report things, if something is reported the police can act, something may be part of a crime trend.
    Also mark all your property and where possible make it visible this reduces the resale value and often will put potential thieves off.
    Thank you
    HI
    NEW to this forum need advice on situation with my sisters horse missing /sold without consent police not interested.