Youngster

Default Field gateway rubber matting

Hi - has anyone used the mesh type matting for field gateways? I was going to buy some sheets of it to go outside my field shelter. Does it work? Thanks

Default Re: Field gateway rubber matting

I havent, but I cant wait to read your replies as I am thinking about getting some too.

Veteran

My field gateway is about 6 inches deep in watery mud. I think matting would sink never to be seen again

Veteran

It is supposed to be very good for vehicles and things but you have to make sure you get horse friendly stuff. Also, you ideally should put it down before the mud appears for it to work, so the grass grows over it.
    Welshie lover/owner Clique

We've got in it 4 of our gateways, its brill. But as above, make sure you do it during the dry weather so it has a hard base to start from and to allow the grass to grow through. I really rate it!

Sport horse

We have used both plastic mesh and mesh combined with rubber mats in and around a shelter. The mesh worked fine even though it was already muddy when it went down. Rubber mats were useless on their own as they sank, but combined with the plastic mesh they give a very dry footing.

Youngster

We used the heavy duty matting last year for the first time and it was excellent. We put it down before the bad weather. The gateway absolutely fills with liquid mud and I have lost wellies in there before. We had no problems at all apart from my husband wrestling with the sheets putting them up and down. I can really recommend it.

Youngster

Thanks everyone.

Old nag

I have some, and it's brilliant

Old nag

I've laid some of the holey rubber mats bought from B&Q for about 15 a sheet on top of some thin membrane which I'm hoping will stop the mud squelching through into the rubber and the whole lot disappearing in the bog!

I've got them outside my field shelter which unfortunately is under the trees and the surrounding mud is like leaf litter and goes VERY deep in winter.

I've covered the whole lot with a sprinkling of woodchip mainly so the horses don't see the rubber and paw at it.

I'm hoping this will all work as last year was hellish!!