Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default eucalyptus oil for hooves

My new farrier has advised that I use eucalyptus oil on my horses hooves to help kill any bugs/bacteria. My horse is shoeless and has excellent hooves, but his hooves are very short due to previous farrier. As usual I have thought of questions after his visit and wonder if anyone can advise me. Should I simply buy a bottle of eucalyptus and apply to the hoof - white line. I will call my farrier tomorrow but wondered if anyone could help me with any advice? I have tried looking for hoof oil containing eucalyptus but there doesn't seem to be any products with it as the main ingredient.

Old nag

Default Re: eucalyptus oil for hooves

You can use it neat or dilute in a carrier oil (vegetable or almond) for economy. It is anti bacterial and definitely effective

Old nag

Hum.. i have dim views of any oil being put on hooves and beleive you would be much better with hibishcrub if i am honest.
    did you ask about this as your horse is suffering from thrush?

Not sure how hooves can be 'short' if he has been trimmed by your current farrier.

Lou x

It's handy havin our own HHO farrier! lol

I heard its good but no experience of it tbh. I think one of ours would object, he hates the smell of the courcosine!

Veteran

Who's the HHO farrier? Did I miss something? I'm interest by this post as my girl has just gone barefoot and I'm worried about gravel etc getting int he white line

Old nag

Interesting info in this previous post..

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...87/an/0/page/4

My farrier always says that eucalyptus oil is good as a hoof hardener if you've run out of keratex. He really recommends it for the soles.

I paint my mares soles, frog and hoof wall with iodine and eucalyptus oil - 250ml strong iodine, 30ml eucalyptus oil mix together then water added to make 1lts. I started this last year when my mares feet were very soft, crumbly and thrushy on my farrier instructions. Intitally I did them everyday, then reduced to every other day, then once a week. Clear the trush quickly and hardened foot off really quickly.

Proud to hack out looking like 'Bertie Bassett'.

thank you for quick replies. My farrier said to use it to help harden hooves and because it is antibacterial. (Nailed - no mention of thrush simply to harden and protect) If i dilute with a carrier oil what quantites should i use mother hen?

Just read your post Christmassparkle I think you've answered my second question! Thank you!