Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran

Default Feeding eggs to horses?

Does anyone feed eggs to their horses? I read an article today that said how beneficial they are for them. Interested in your experiences? xx

Default Re: Feeding eggs to horses?

Are these eggs boiled, poached or scrambled?! How funny, in what ways are they beneficial? My horse eats most things so I suspect she would swallow an egg. (she once ate a snail that was in her feed bowl, I didn't remove it as I thought she would know what it was!) Not sure I would feed her an egg though.

Veteran

i've heard of powdered egg whites being fed to improve topline due to their protein content. Not sure I would do it though, way too unnatural for my liking.

Just backed

i wouldnt do it to much protein in an egg for a start would proberbly send them nuts (as if i dont have enough of that problem already!)

please excuse the spelling mistakes

Old nag

noooooooooooooo horses are vegetarians (despite trying to steal bacon sarnies!), I wouldnt feed them anything non veggie, topline or not. Even tho my chickens lay me free eggs I wouldnt !

Protein doesn't send horses nuts! It doesn't give them any energy, it is purely for growth and repair, hence improving condition.

But no, I wouldn't feed them, I don't feed cod liver oil for the same reasons, they are derived from animals. There are enough ways to give your horse protein without feeding egg whites.
    http://mallymusings.blogspot.com/

When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble; give a whistle...

Old nag

Am going against the grain here but I feed T eggs in the winter, along with chaff, Bailey's Topline (changed now) apples, carrots, garlic & black sunflower seeds and he looked great on it. It used to be the norm on hunting/racing yards. It was good enough for Arkle, who apparently used to have half a dozen a day!
    I feel sullied and unusual
    My name is muffinino, I'm a homoeroticaholic&Mistress of the Smutty Fan Fic clique
    Gangster Number One of the Chwaer Gymraeg clique

I have always believed they are very good for horses but have never fed them myself

[ QUOTE ]
    Am going against the grain here but I feed T eggs in the winter, along with chaff, Bailey's Topline (changed now) apples, carrots, garlic & black sunflower seeds and he looked great on it. It used to be the norm on hunting/racing yards. It was good enough for Arkle, who apparently used to have half a dozen a day!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand completely why people would feed them, egg white has a protien value of 1 (i think!) as high as you can get!
    Just personally I don't like the idea feeding them, plus my horse doesn't have an issue with condition on what he's fed on already.
    http://mallymusings.blogspot.com/

When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble; give a whistle...

Veteran

I used to feed my horse an egg a day- Purely because everyone else at the yard did so i thought it must be good!
    Didn't notice any difference or benefit though!