Youngster

Default Cut coronet band . .

When I got back from our ride toay I removed horsey's overeach boots - which she had also been wearing out in the field before our ride - I noticed that she had like a flap of hoof, it looks as if it is part of the coronet band and underneath there is a small wound, probably out 2cm or so long that although is bleeding it isn't dripping out - if you see what I mean. Its as if she has managed to slice it. She doesn't seem to be in pain and there is no heat or lameness or anything!
    I am just wondering how on earth she has done it - her overreach boot was covering the whole area! And what can I do to help it heal, etc.. any ideas?
    Thankyou

Default Re: Cut coronet band . .

My mare did this after trying to kill another mare. Coronet bands take ages and ages to heal. I just made sure I kept it clean and put an overreach boot on (th back leg), while she was turned out.

Sport horse

Mine also had a tiny cut on her coronet band. Fortunately it wasn't deep but it grew down her hoof. Farrier said it wasn't anything to worry about and would grow out. It may disappear after the next shoeing as it's on her toe now.

I just tried to keep it as clean as possible and used a barrier cream in the mud.

x

Sudocrem is useful for this type of injury. The other thing you could get is Equaide which is a healing paint-on dressing that dries waterproof.

Youngster

Ok thats great. It seems ok this morning, I just cleaned it and put more cream on, overeach boots and threw her out. It doesn't seem to be bothering her and its looks better than it did last night!

Schoolmaster

i've just struggled with a similar injury- it's 8weeks old now and whilst the skin has almost healed there's a huge bulge from where the coronary band was cut that I fear is going to track down her hoof and cause real problems.

as for how she did it, a sharp stone gone up under overreach boot and sliced skin?

standing her in warm salt water may also help speed up the healing.