Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran

Default Horse Free to Good Home - Why is everyone so far away!

I've recently been advertising a horse thats free to good home for a livery and had a lot of response. Many are wannabees!!! (children, want to ride her even though she is advertised as a companion etc) BUT, everyone who sounds decent seems to be miles away
    Its getting to critical stage, if she doesnt go soon, they will take the matter from my hands and she will end up in a tin, but at the same time, i cant see her making a trip to the other end of the country!
    I dont know really why i have posted, i guess i just need to vent a little! I deep down kinda know that i am prob going to end up with her, but its the future i worry about as it will mean i have a lot of horses!
    I can understand that many wouldnt want a shire as a companion but today when she was led down with my pony foal running around her and climbing on her it made me cry as she is such a gentle mare
    Minstrel Ridge aka Liath ~ Sir Just William ~ Trigger ~ Crazelbrook Eric ~ Crazelbrook Rubany ~ Ginger
    x Gone but never fogotton & always in my heart x

Veteran

Default Re: Horse Free to Good Home - Why is everyone so far away!

Just a little idea popped into my head not sure if it will help. . .have you thought about contacting draft societies (sp?) her being a shire. .

There are a few around me. . .not sure where you are. . but it might be worth a thought about contacting them see if they can help you or something. . .not really sure of your position but just an idea

Hope you sort it out

Oh dear, If I had my own place, I would have her like a shot. I have a thing for heavy horses. Could she hack out? I am a happy hacker.
    Hon. Member of the 'Narmul fuh Naarfolk' Clique!
    An adult who rides ponies!!

Veteran

I think the Shire Horse Society sometimes take retired horses as field ornaments for their visitor centre.

Old nag

I know someone who is looking for a shire to ride out about 3 times a year! It would be a glorified pet. Not really sure i would want to recommend them though Not that they wouldnt love her and they are lovely people but they dont really know that much tbh.
    http://www.freewebs.com/firstattempt/

Before you press the button...please look at the website! This is not advertising!

Veteran

I emailed all of the heavy horse societies a while back, the shire horse society suggested some places, but all were down south the few places closer to here dont seem interested as they cant breed etc from her.
    It really has suprised me how no-one from Cumbia has asked me about her, as well, there are loads of fields up there and its not far at all.
    Minstrel Ridge aka Liath ~ Sir Just William ~ Trigger ~ Crazelbrook Eric ~ Crazelbrook Rubany ~ Ginger

Veteran

why is she free?

Veteran

long story but owners aquired her, have never shown any interest and have got fed up of paying for her (she actually cost very little to keep despite her size) they are not horsey at all hence asked me to find her a new home. In their opinions, loads of people would want a free horse, but shes huge, older, and not really rideable... however, she is a fab mare, gentle and very loving

Have you tried contacting local studs? Quite a few of the ones round here have a few nanny mares that they don't breed from but go in the fields with the babies and nanny them
    Not all those who wander are lost

Veteran

She would be ideal for this, but there are none around here that would take her. There was one place that sounded ideal, but its at least 5 hours drive away. Plus, there are some i would not even ask as i wouldnt want her there! (currently having a lot of drama with a stud!)