Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buttercups

Default Buttercups

Hello, just a quick post from work (slap wrist!)

Our paddock at home seems to have had a bit of a buttercup invasion! It’s not covered by any means, but obviously I don’t want it to become out of control.

How much of a risk are buttercups to horses? I have read that they are poisonous if eaten in large quantities, how large are we talking?! DP is ignoring them but she is also a greedy piglet so she might start to nibble if hunger strikes.

Would pulling them up stop re growth? I believe it’s acid soil that causes them, is this right?

If this wouldn’t work I could split her field in to 2 and spray half at a time, however this means buying more electric fence posts/tape etc so will have to wait until after payday.

Would a “normal” weed killer work or would it need something like lime?

Many thanks for all suggestions [img]/images/HHThreads/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="purple"> Never put off until tomorrow what can be avoided altogether </font>

Default Re: Buttercups

I would spray with Broadsword - that will kill all broad-leaved plants without harming your grass. Buttercups are toxic to horses and even if they don't actually eat them, the pollen is a nightmare and gets up their noses and interferes with their breathing. My advice would be to get rid of them. Yes split the field in half and do one half at a time.

Ok thanks, will do.
    <font color="purple"> Never put off until tomorrow what can be avoided altogether </font>

Veteran

we have a dock leaf problem at our yard, would this work on them?

will let YO know he ought to do something about them!!!

Yes it kills dock leaves, ragwort and a heap of other "bad" weeds. It kills all broad-leafed plants. I think you have to sign a disclaimer at the store to say that you will be using it on farmland and you may have to order it in......but it is well worth waiting for. It is a proper farming weedkiller instead of being one of those targeted towards the equine market which cost about 2 or 3 times as much and in my opinion are rubbish.

I have mentioned this before but may help someone.Buttercups can give an allergic reaction which looks very much like mud fever.Took us ages to get rid of it after loads of treatment for mud fever etc which 2 vets had diagnosed.Just moved paddocks and it cleared up in no time.Dont know how it affects other horses but worth keeping a look out for if you have loads of buttercups in your paddocks.

I can't find Broadsword, where did you get yours from?

Old nag

Somthing in them builds up in the liver (apparently) and can cause damage and also causes *takes deep breath* photosensitisation (I think) which is possible the mud-fever type lesions described in another reply. Makes them very sensitive to sunlight, especially on greys.

St Johns Wort growing in the field does the same thing if eaten.

So I'd get rid as soon as possible.

Founder member of the "Not a freak - childfree by choice" clique and ruling Wicked Witch of the Northern clique, owner of the red shoes...

I get mine from Scats countrystores or a local farm supplies shop. If they don't stock it, then ask them for "Grazon 90", it works in a similar fashion again killing broadleafed plants and ragwort.

Grazon is much easier to find and is very good too. If you can't find it in your local store then do a search on google as there are a number of mail-order places that do it.

These are proper farm-use chemicals and are definitely worth buying over any equestrian ones in my opinion.

Is this the best stuff to use for ragwort? I have never really had a problem with ragwort (just a few bits so pulled them up) but an old lady my mum knows has been invaded and both her paddocks are covered. She has 2 retired ponies but is not well enough to walk round the field nor bend down to pull the ragwort up so mum has asked me for advice! Is it easy to apply and how long do you need to keep the ponies off the fields?
    Thank you