Thread: bandaged hock

Veteran

Default bandaged hock

my horse had to have an injection in his hock yesterday (well 3 actually)
    anyhow, i have been told to keep it bandaged for 4 days and so far have only managed to keep it in the correct place for about 3 hours before it slips, the vets one slipped as well after the same time, Ive tried taping the top of it to his leg which is what the vet did but it still slips, someone suggested clingfilm round the vet wrap which also slipped and putting a stable bandage over the top but that slipped!
    Am currently trying just vetwrap with just the sterlie pads and no cotton wool under it which seems to be working but will go back and check shortly!

Any other ideas?

Default Re: bandaged hock

A nappy?

How about some of that human sticky bandage. Its really really sticky. I used it to keep a bandage in place on my nag as he kept stamping his foot and making it slip!

I have no idea what the stuff is called though. Just make sure you only put a bit on over the top of something like vetwrap and don't do it too tightly!

Rest in peace my darling James. Thank you for the most wonderful 17yrs. Forever in my heart. Cruelly taken 7th July 2009

Veteran

hmm, a nappy could work. Its just to keep it clean so doesnt mater what is is really
    will go on a hunt for really sticky bandage!!

Sticky vet wrap and can your vet not give you a pressage - a full length wrap that zips up and over the hock with pressure points to try and keep it in place and reduce swelling - although Donkey mastered the art of removing this too.

"All things that live have parallel, save one: The Cleveland Bay Horse, they alone have none - except the geldings which the Society disregard, so that is 50% of a rare breed gone."

Veteran

I got the sticky wrap when I was doing my mare's legs - she had sticky stuff all the way from her hip to toe! (She also I think got a bit of a bikini wax - I felt really bad doing her bandages every day!)

Sport horse

I've just been through a bandaged hock. Vet used elastoplast to the skin. Sticks like hell. We also used duct tape around the hoof and the feltlock joint to keep the bandage clean. For the bandage to stay in place it needs to be quite tight. Charlie's stayed in place for a week and this was from hock down to fetlock.
    Good luck

Old nag

[ QUOTE ]
    Sticky vet wrap and can your vet not give you a pressage - a full length wrap that zips up and over the hock with pressure points to try and keep it in place and reduce swelling - although Donkey mastered the art of removing this too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't recommend a Pressage Bandage. Dolly wore one after her Op, I left it on for 3 days ( this was how long I was told to leave it before the first bandage change) and her legs are now permantley scarred. They are really badly designed as the seam goes up the back of the leg and caused really bad pressure sores above the hock. She now has great big white hair scars and that is only from wearing it 3 days.

Maybe I was unlucky - but they were 76 and totally useless. I keep meaning to take photos and send them to the company that makes them.
    Note: This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.