Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What IS a novice rider?

What do you consider the definition of a novice rider? This terms seems to encompass everything from someone who is slightly more advanced than a complete beginner, to someone who has ridden for 20 years but happily competes at prelim dressage and enjoys hacking. Does that mean about 90% of amateur horse owners are classed as novices??!

Just curious, as when listening to converstions between trainers, they refer to lots of good riders I know as being of novice standard. I mean, I appreciate the art of riding is continually improved over a lifetime and never perfected, but when does one ever leave the realms of a novice?

(From an eternal novice)

Default Re: What IS a novice rider?

Depends in which context, in the worlds of eventing a novice rider is capable of jumping a 1.20 track, whilst BSJA Novice classes are 3ft! But then In the terms of selling horses a novice rider would be someone who could not handle a slightly fresh horse, someone who was not experienced or had not been riding for long. Someone who was may be nervous, or did not have any feel.

In my opinion a novice rider is someone who is unable to improve a horses way of going, they are capable of riding a well mannered and trained horse. But not experienced or capable of bringing on a youngster or riding a sharp or difficult horse!

I would say that it refers to experience rather than ability. I know old boys who hunt, they have 50 plus years of experience but have lost the ability they had. There are kids who have been riding a couple of years who have massive ability compared to the old boys... but little experience! The kids are the novices and they could learn a thing or two from the old boys!

Schoolmaster

[ QUOTE ]

In my opinion a novice rider is someone who is unable to improve a horses way of going, they are capable of riding a well mannered and trained horse. But not experienced or capable of bringing on a youngster or riding a sharp or difficult horse!

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't find the words...

who needs to on here, somebody else always sums things up perfectly

So, do you think someone could.. start off as a novice, progress, become advanced/experienced... then due to injury/old age revert to being a novice again? This is where is all falls down IMHO.

Schoolmaster

Hmmm? that's a bit of a brain burner

I know time served/experienced riders and they are confident and balanced etc BUT they can look very novicey on some horses/tricky/unfamiliar ones etc.

Maybe thats just the difference between good and bad riders though???

[ QUOTE ]
    Depends in which context, in the worlds of eventing a novice rider is capable of jumping a 1.20 track...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree on your definition of training etc....but novice eventing you only have to jump a 1.10 track, with two fences at 1.15, and TBH it is far smaller and less technical than a newcomers track BSJA which is purportedly the same size!! (Just didn't want you giving us eventers more credit than we deserve )

Sorry, you know what I mean though... I'm not an eventer so that was a bit of a guess!!

NOT a troll

I find myself screaming 'I'm a novice' whenever anyone has some ****ty beast they want ridden.
    My days of being a crash test dummy breaking and schooling are well and truly over.
    S

Veteran

I think about 90% of us amateurs probably are novices to be honest.

Very few of us have the depth of experience brought by years as a professional and the fences we jump / dressage tests we do are generally at the simple end of the scale.

We may be able to produce nice young horses, but very few of us would profess to have the time or experience to take on a tricky one.

There are a number of notable exceptions of course.