Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran

Default Nissan X-Trail... anyone got one?

I have decided to sell my car - which I feel very sad about as it is fun and sporty, but just too expensive to run - stupid petrol prices

I have been thinking about a Nissan X-Trail and was wondering if anyone had one. On paper they look pretty good, good mpg, good size and able to tow a trailer - which you can't do in a TT! I would def get the diesel as the reports I have read suggest this is the best option.

So, anyone any thoughts?

Thanks!

Founding member of the British Hacking Consortium - Hacking is not for wimps

Default Re: Nissan X-Trail... anyone got one?

My sister has an Nissan x-trail and pulls her trailer every where with it, she rates this 4x4 as a good pulling car.. (for the horse trailer, that is..LOL

Old nag

Just remember that diesel is WAY expensive just now...... and a bigger car will use more!
    Are you a showjumper, eventer, dressage, endurance or showing rider? If you're a professional rider, semi-professional rider or enthusiastic amateur rider looking for sponsorship we have a couple of spaces available to represent riders who are looking to increase the amount of sponsors they have. Find out more here: http://bit.ly/ZJ0Uz1

Old nag

When not towing the Xtrail is the best off and on road balanced 4x4 iw pretty good at both. I loved mine but had to give it up as it was company car and I left! Now have LWB Landy!

Veteran

The problem is that my car is now really expensive, it is in a high insurance & tax bracket, a full tank is over 80 and lasts for about 4 days if I am lucky & drive sensibly and it is a pretty useless horsey car as I can't fit much in it - if I need to take my saddle home, everything has to be moved over to one side and I need to fold the back seat down and position it really carefully so the roof doesn't sit on it.

However it is so much fun to drive and having 2 nano seats in the back means that I can never take more than 1 person anywhere so I don't cart people around all the time! Oh this is so unfair! I want both!

Sport horse

I've got an x-trail, and I love it!
    Great fuel economy (diesel) even when towing. Manages one horse in an ifor comfortably and legally.
    Plenty room inside for all your bits and pieces, but most of all a great tow vehicle.
    Recommended.

Schoolmaster

I wouldn't recomend the Xtrail for pulling anything more than a trailer and 1 horse under 500kg. We had one, it struggled up hills and feels very lightweight - I'm afraid I swopped mine for a Terrano - much better.

Just what I was going to say. It may look good on paper, but in reality it is fairly gutless and lightweight. We had one and regretted it almost immediately - an expensive mistake, but it had to go. I would put it in the same category as a Rav4, it isn't even as sturdy as a Freelander. Having recently seen a caravan overturn a BMW estate, I am highly aware of the importance of sufficient weight in the tow car.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

No good deed goes unpunished.

Veteran

KittyKate & Sooty, what engine did yours have? I am thinking of the 2.3 diesel which should be capable...

2.5 petrol, 175bhp. Automatic. Truly dismal car! The diesel may be better. We are now on our second Discovery, and apart from the embarrassment of being seen in public these days in anything other than a Smart car, it is wonderful!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

No good deed goes unpunished.