Sport horse

Default urine infection in horses

My horse started having problems passing urine yesturday so we had the vets out. She thinks its a urine infection - initial tests show a small amount of blood and protein. The sample has been sent away for more tests. He is on pain killers and anti-biotics.

Has anyone had any experience of this before???

Veteran

Default Re: urine infection in horses

Can you tell us what you are feeding him and his breed. Has he had colic recently? What pain killers is he on? Any more info you can give us will help

My horse is out-standing in her field.

Sport horse

Default Re: urine infection in horses

Hi, Yes, problems with this last year. I am going to try not to panic you but it is really important that you find out the cause and just dont let them clear it up and leave it. My mare had cystitis with all the symptoms you are describing last year - she was cleared up with anit-biotics and then got it again this year. She was scanned, scoped and a biopsy taken - still nothing other than infection. We hit it hard with Batril and still it didn't clear. Eventually we did a video-scope and biopsy and results came back with a flat tumour that was not visible with a camera. Having said that it could be stones. Just get the cause established!