Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default pads for horses feet?? protection for soles

am i right in thinking you can get pads to put on the soles of horses feet?? held on by the shoe??

the reason i ask is abby has very very flat feet, and she sometimes find it hard going on rough stoney surfaces, fine on even (tarmac etc) an grass, living in scotland its hard to get anywhere without having to go on a rocky bumpy road and she often gets sores if she stand on stones if you kno what i mean.

i'm sure i had heard of pads for there feet, but i don't kno if thats what there used for.... going to speak to farrier he's up in a fortnights time

any info on things like this to protect the soles of the feet would be greatly appreciated
    THERE IS NO GREATER BOND THAN THAT BETWEEN A HORSE AND HIS RIDER

Old nag

Default Re: pads for horses feet?? protection for soles

Hey, yes you can - I had them on my eventer for the majority of last season - they are a bit of a pain if you do not have a nice flat field - I found the pads were never still in by the next time he was shod.

Hope this helps!

Lv Lx

Thanks to Brontie for my lovely sig!!
    Member of Addicted To Rollestone / Sweet FA ...
    And Proud Member of the "Fan of Rollestone's Chooks Clique! "

Veteran

My flat footed, thin soled TB used to have plastic pads under her shoes when she did long distance riding due to alot of the tracks being very stoney. It did mean the shoes were not held on quite so well and we lost more shoes. I think you can get some sort of gel stuff to put in now which hardens to protect the sole?

Schoolmaster

Hi
    pads under my horse's feet (fronts only) have made my horse rideable. He has really thin soles, and the area is very stoney. He has had these ones in for 6 weeks and the farrier is due out next Wednesday, he has held them on with no problems so far. These ones are like very hard plastic that is nailed on under the shoe and cost me 5 per hoof extra. People do have problems with stones and mud getting in underneath the pads, although we had not had any problems so far.

You can also get injectible gel pads (called equithane gel I think)that are sealed so bits of muck etc cant get in but they are more expensive (I think about 25 for a tube to do two feet?)

good luck!

Veteran

My horse has these on http://www.horseshoes.com/supplies/a...s/dept_44.html

they made a huge difference to him. They're not too expensive either, 25 euro and they can be reused.

Yes our farrier fits leather pads on the front feet of some of the thoroughbreds on our yard who have flat sensitive soles. They stay on really well and apparently definitely stop those 'ouchy' moments when hacking on flinty/stony ground.

He only likes to fit them for a few shoeings though before a couple of months' break, as if left on too long the soles can become extremely soft. Our farrier charges 15 a pair. Jo x

she would only need them on her fronts aswell cause her backs aren't half as bad whens shes on stoney ground. i just feel terrible riding her out up the hills when u get to a stoney patch and she literally tip toes across.

do most farrier carry these sorts of thing with them?? to regular shoeings or should i phone and say??
    THERE IS NO GREATER BOND THAN THAT BETWEEN A HORSE AND HIS RIDER

Sport horse

The best ones are equi-pac. It's a gel that's injected into the foot after a mesh and the shoe is fitted. It's around 15 a tube, if your horses feet aren't too big you might get both fronts done with one tube. Another slightly cheaper method is to have rubber pads that go on under the shoe that are then filled with silicone. The silicone prevents mud and stuff getting trapped under the pad and adds more padding.
    I've never had a problem with either falling out or being lost in the field.
    I'd give your farrier a phone first just to check that he's got them in stock

Sport horse

My horse had pad following an abcess on his sole a couple of years ago. His feet were bad when I got him and the soles thin. I've been giving him a biotin supplement for the past two years and have had no trouble since. His feet are now in very good shape.

Best thing is to discuss it with your farrier and I am sure he will be able to sort out the best option for your horse. You could also give a supplement for feet which will help strengthen them up in the long term.

IMO equipack wasn't worth the money. Lasted 2 weeks before the whole lot (inc mesh) fell out. My flat footed sensitive TB is in horse trax pads..... brilliant things. Get them mail order from total foot protection
    a lycanthropic member of the board

'member of the Welshie lover/owner Clique', **Support Little Stig, the HHO Mascot ** ,
    One mans joke is another mans insult.
    member of the "We love Hovis (the horse not the bread)" clique and a Sinister Barefoot Cult.
    http://themusingsofru.blogspot.com/