Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Just backed

Default Best Car/4x4 for Pulling Trailers??

Hey all...

Im currenctly driving a wee black puegeot 206, which i obviously cannot pull a horse box with. So im looking for something which will!

What do you all drive??

I said to my dad about gettin a nice wee second hand 4x4 and he says it may not be a good idea as tax is meant to be going up and so will cost me a fortune to run! So what about a good car?

Bearing in mind i wont be spening a lot but could maybe afford to get one through finance and could maybe pay roughly 150 a month on that...

So what is the best car/4x4 for towing??

Thanking you all in advance for your kind help!!

Carrie

Old nag

Default Re: Best Car/4x4 for Pulling Trailers??

A 4x4 will cost you a fortune in fuel and tax but ultimately it depends on the size of your horse and trailer.
    Are you a showjumper, eventer, dressage, endurance or showing rider? If you're a professional rider, semi-professional rider or enthusiastic amateur rider looking for sponsorship we have a couple of spaces available to represent riders who are looking to increase the amount of sponsors they have. Find out more here: http://bit.ly/ZJ0Uz1

Sport horse

I've got an Isuzu Trooper 3.0ltr turbo diesel which is fab to pull a trailer. It's an R reg and cost me 2,500 to buy about 6 months ago. When I first bought it, was costing me about 80 to fill the tank up, put 50 in the other day from empty and just about went 1/2 way thats how much diesel has gone up !! Just taxed it for 6 months and that was about 118 I think. Insurance is about 600 for the year and i've had my licence for 6 years. Ace car but running a 4X4 is not cheap at all !

Just backed

oh my god..thats a fortune!!! i really dont think i can afford it!!

fuel is just getting terrible! how do they expect us to live?!

so what about any good cars?

i used to tow my 17.2 in a lightweight trailer with a n plate Vauxhall Omega, i was within my weight limits and never had any problems towed like a dream.

This was last year so obviously fuel prices were lower and tax wasn't cheap at about 100 for 6 months.

Have 7.5 tom lorry now and still miss nipping around with my trailer.

Old nag

You may find it cheaper to buy a 3.5 ton lorry. It will be cheaper on the insurance & tax & will do more miles to the gallon than a thirsty 4x4.

i would never tow a trailer with a car - they're just not designed for it and most of them aren't capable anyway. The law says the towing vehicle must be capable of towing the MAM of the trailer which for a 505 is about 2.5tonnes - dont know of any cars capable of towing that.

i've just swapped my Clio for a Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0TD. Payed 4000 for an M reg, but it's very low mileage for its age. You could get a higher mileage one for less. Tax is 180 a year (120 for Clio), insurance is 460 a month (260 for clio), it does 23mpg (Clio did 33mph but I drove it hard). Also now have to pay for MOT and when things go wrong (which didn't happen with Clio as it was new). No way could afford a new 4x4 - tax is absolutely horrendous.

Dan, 27yr old Welsh D, Llewi, 11yr old Welsh D and Monty 14yr old Welsh D x TB
    Welsh Cobs and dressage rule!
    Resident Vet

Just backed

Thanks for all your replies!!

well considering I am not a big competitor and will only be going to local riding club every week and hopefully a few local shows and riding club events i dont want to be spending too much.

a lorry wouldnt be an option with me as i also need a car to get about non horsey wise and will def not be able to afford two vehicles...

I have heard different opinions on towing with a car. my bf says it wrecks cars but if u have a decent one it would pull no bother, so considering i wont be doing too much towing i wouldnt think the car would have much stress on it!

im thinking a 4x4 wil be best option though, just goin to have to work harder to run it! and fingers crossed my sports massage service takes off well!!!

Veteran

land rover discovery

Yearling

Hi I am a bit new on here so bear with me. I tow with an Isuzu Trooper 3.1 TD. Fantastic vehicle but like every thing else very thirsty. In todays market you can pick them up pretty cheap. I would agree about cars not really being suitable. But alot depends on the trailer, horse and where you live, We live in Wales and have steep hills and distances to travel (and most expensive fuel 1.35 ) not funny, and the fuel prices really are effecting how much people are competing!