Thread: Swollen withers

Just backed

Default Swollen withers

Hi,

My horse has swollen withers and they have been swollen for about a month now. I had presumed that he had been vigorously groomed by the other horse and bitten really hard so have left it to clear up by itself. The only problem is it hasn't. I will now take him for x rays but was wondering if anyone may have another theory?

There is no marks, the hair wasn't broken at all and it's the full trapezius muscle which is affected.

He is sound, still running around the field and can stretch long and low, no signs of discumfort except when you press on the affected muscle!

Any ideas??

Old nag

Default Re: Swollen withers

He hasn't rolled on something in the field has he? Other possibility is that he's been playing a bit too hard and reared up and fallen over? Best get them xrayed to be sure.
    Are you a showjumper, eventer, dressage, endurance or showing rider? If you're a professional rider, semi-professional rider or enthusiastic amateur rider looking for sponsorship we have a couple of spaces available to represent riders who are looking to increase the amount of sponsors they have. Find out more here: http://bit.ly/ZJ0Uz1

Just backed

yes it did cross my mind he had reared over, he does play a lot! I have to have him seperated because of it!! Just my luck as he's just got over a suspensory strain...

Assuming your saddle fits, could your numnah have pressed on the withers? or maybe the rug? sounds like fistulous (sp) withers- any heat? You need the vet to check as if it is FW then you need antibiotics ASAP
    All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about
    I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored
    You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Old nag

LOL - mine just came back to work from suspensory probs and has now got bilateral heel pain and is back on box rest till she can be surgically shod - it never bl**dy ends!!
    Are you a showjumper, eventer, dressage, endurance or showing rider? If you're a professional rider, semi-professional rider or enthusiastic amateur rider looking for sponsorship we have a couple of spaces available to represent riders who are looking to increase the amount of sponsors they have. Find out more here: http://bit.ly/ZJ0Uz1

Just backed

[ QUOTE ]
    Assuming your saddle fits, could your numnah have pressed on the withers? or maybe the rug? sounds like fistulous (sp) withers- any heat? You need the vet to check as if it is FW then you need antibiotics ASAP

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no heat just swelling, called the vet on phone and he said he thinks it's just a horse bite as I thought and giving him 2 bute a day for next week and if no improvement then he will come out!! I will let you all know - thanks

Old nag

At least you have an answer now hopefully! Hope he gets better soon

Just backed

[ QUOTE ]
    LOL - mine just came back to work from suspensory probs and has now got bilateral heel pain and is back on box rest till she can be surgically shod - it never bl**dy ends!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it never ends, I could write a book on my hroses injuries over the past two years, lol