Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yearling

Default Splint treatments on show horse DESPERATE for advice!!

Has anyone successfully got rid of a splint? We have had Tom since november and he came with quite a large but flat splint halfway between his knee and fetlock. This doesnt affect him in anyway but as we are showing again now really want to try and get it down. He must have shown with it before and he was 5th at HOYS in the LW hunters so couldnt have made a difference but really want it gone! Have goose greased it all winter and it nearly went but now has come back up and is more golf ball like!! Any advice greatly recieved.

Old nag

Default Re: Splint treatments on show horse DESPERATE for advice!!

NEW magnetic boots helped a liveries show horse's splint go down
    “My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them.”

Yearling

I have had them on him but they blistered his leg which I cant have now were showing again. Maybe he is a bit sensitive as he is a full TB?? Anyone tried laser?

Yearling

We are new to hunters as well. Vet says it isnt a prob and to leave it but then hes a bit like that! Instructor has said laser but havent a clue how much it costs or what is involved however she is also a hunter judge and she says she would only pull him up for it if it was very close between two horses.

I can understand why you want it gone, but TBH, I have never heard of any treatment that will make a fully formed splint disappear, sorry. If they are still active it is sometimes possible to minimize them by icing, blistering, laser etc, but I actually think if it's settled you're more likely to make it worse if you start messing with it. The only thing that might work is actually operating on it I think, but then you're left with scars, which is just as bad, from a showing POV. I'd leave it for now and just see how you get on.

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

Veteran

You could try Splintex - it made no difference to mine (but we subsequently found out there was more to it than just a splint) but lots of people have had good results with it.
    Splintex Silver is for fresh splints and Gold is for more established ones.

DMSO doesn't do anything to splints in my experience, other than irritate the skin. Also, as far as I know you were supposed to use it while the splint was forming, not on an old splint.

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

Yearling

Thanks everyone. Tom had hunted for 4 seasons before his previous owners had him so is a true hunter!! Someone else has said splintex so may well be worth a try. Would say it would be old as you can see it in pictures of him showing last year and as I say he had excellent results but this was with some of the best people around and i just feel as an amateur i want to get as much right as i can to still geive him a good chance against the pros horses if that makes sense??

Yearling

Oh sorry he is 10 btw.

What does your vet recommend?

I'm no expert on showing hunters but if its a class where the horses are expected to have hunted surely there is room for forgiveness on minor blemishes?
    Keep Out.

Do you mind?! This is my own personal space where I actually live like an actual virtual hobbit, I meditate daily and harvest rainbow dust. Now that you've finished being nosy, get out before I set the Karma Chamelion on you!

My views are mine alone and do not represent those of any other organisation or individual.