Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran

Default Would you buy a horse with a cataract?

If a horse ticked all the boxes but had a cataract would you buy it? Trying hard not to make an emotional decision either way after vetting today. Need to speak to the vet again as I was too upset to take much in.
    If yes hw much should the price be reduced?

Default Re: Would you buy a horse with a cataract?

how bad is the cataract and how old is the horse?

I have just had a vetting done on a horse and the vet said he had a tiny cataract but he didn't think it would begin to be a insignificant problem for at least 4 -5 years if at all - I have been reading up on them, and if a young horse has one it is called developmental and rarely amounts to anything, but in an older horse it can lead to blindness eventually.

ETS: I am still going ahead with the purchase as the vet was very positive about the horse.

Schoolmaster

Depends what you want to do, friend's mare kept stopping, especially at combinations, then found she had a cataract, so it may be that if you are planning to jump much, its not a good idea.

Ask the vet if it is likely to get progressively worse?

also bear in mind it will be discounted from any insurance, so you wouldn't be able to claim even if surgery is an option (I have no idea if it is).

Then on the other hand, you hear of wonder horses who compete including jumping with only one eye... so .. ?!?!?!?!

Chat with the vet.. he is impartial!

Veteran

i had a similar problem when a vetting turned out badly for a horse i was looking at - i was very upset but after a long chat with the vet and my family i decided not to buy the horse as if i had to sell it on in the future it would be difficult etc. The horse's problem wasn't a cataract but i think i would still decide against him DEPENDING on how much the price was reduced due to the possibility of huge vets bills in the future, however if the vet says that the cataract should not be too much of a problem for what you are planning to do with the horse then you would have to make the decision as to how much you really liked it or whether you were willing to continue your search for another horse.

^^^^^^My new horse and angel - Guy^^^^^^

Proudly orange founding member of the *Gingers 4 Justice* clique

Buccleuch Gundogs - Website on Profile Page

No...

Old nag

I certainly wouldn't...

First of all there are many different types of cataracts, some of which arnt progressive and in that case wouldnt worry me too much.

Do you know what type it is? If it is just scarring then dont worry to much, my mare had this and was classed as a cataract, we took her to newmarket to get a special eye person to certify it as non progressive, she then passed a 5 stage vetting.

Veteran

Head is saying no, heart is saying yes. Need that chat with the vet in the morning really

My boy was found out to be blind 8 week after buying him. Don't get me wrong, he's a sweetie but I'd never knowingly buy a horse with possible eye problems, it's really not worth the heartache - he won't jump and will rear if put into a difficlt situation - so I think you have to be able to deal with that and understand that blind horses can be more unpredictable. Realise that the horse you had vetted isn't blind but there are plenty of fully fit horses out there!

depends-- as cataracts can be cause by many things

for exsample - moon blindness or uv , if thats the case then the cataract is only part of the problem
    as with uv-- ie equine recurrent uveritis

cataracts ar sometimes developed by either a dengenative disorder
    or by decease
    with moonblindness or uv, it can come at any age, and is a most painful condition that will either effect one eye or both eyes
    you have to vet care asap

look it up and google it-- here in uk its not heard of very much as much as it is in usa

a horse thats grown up being blind, is normally used to it as to one thats just gone blind
    as with anything and everything to deal with a horse thats blind you have to be a more positive ie
    make clear of your signals and directions-- ie use your aids properly
    use your voice -
    bedding has to be one of sawdust
    and always have a water bottle sprayer to spray the dust particals before he comes into the stable and when you change his bed this keeps the dust down
    dampen all feedstuffs
    and use a fly mask and fly sheet

dont turn out in very hot weather ie direct sunlight
    and or windy weather

asthis will make the eyes run and be more painful
    horses that have a blind eye normally do well and you can continue work with them

but they will not pass a vetting -- if considering ask the vets if history known as to why horse is blind or ask previous owner
    if moonblindness or uv its ongoing and decease will either be the same or slowly over a epriod of time get worse there is no known cure

i have a horse with uv since 4mths old hes competed in p/c and r/c activities sj unaffliated and on a card and has won all his classes hes now 17yrs old and retired-- he completely blind
    he started with moonbliness on and off over a period of years
    then went competely blind in left eye which took 12 then got a cataract in left eye so completely blind then it started to effect his right eye the right eye

the decease can be managed but not cured

would i buy a horse with a blind eye - yes i would, but then i am like that and feel for the horse

but many horses compete with only one eye

the other thing if the horse has grown up with it then its a normal cause of events for them -- ie they dont often panic when being led out or ridden
    but horses that have just gone blind can be spooky and you must be aware that this is a a possiable dangerous situation
    ie when being lead-- always stay to the good eye side so not to be run into or over

and when being ridden-- you have to be a possitive, rider giving clear commands and signals of direction both from your aids and from your voice