Sport horse

Default Field Shelters - Flooring

I dont want to apply for planning permission for 2 stables, i can round this by have mobile field shelters, what flooring do you use if any! and do i need planning permission for a concerete yard??
    xxX Proud member of the TB Injury Hotline Clique X xx

Just backed

Default Re: Field Shelters - Flooring

when we got planning permission for our stables we asked about shelters and he said as long as it is movable and does not have a perminant flour then it would not require planning permission,so i dont think you can have a concrete floor

Sport horse

how long did it take you to get permission?
    xxX Proud member of the TB Injury Hotline Clique X xx

If you can get hold of some rubber matting that might work...thats if the field is level enough!! Otherwise I wouldnt bother....unless its likely to get boggy and yuk!

As for a concrete yard, do you mean like a hard standing area?? Im not sure you might do as I think it could be classed as a permenant fixing, may be worth checking with your local council

i have rubber matting in mine, although tbh as long as they are carefully positioned so that the rain can't come in, and skipped out regularly, a dirt floor is fine.
    "...and I whispered to the horse: trust no man in whose eye you don't see yourself reflected as an equal." - Don Vincenzo Giobbe (circa 1700)
    "Remember, the horse has no bad intentions, he only reacts." Dr Gerd Heuschmann
    "Only ignorance! Only ignorance! Don't you know it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?" -- from Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

Sport horse

We've had a wet winter and having no flooring in our mobile field shelter would have been a complete non starter. Everything around the shelter is knee deep in mud, except the area immediately in front and the inside. We put plastic mesh sheeting down with rubber mats on top. Rubber mats on their own just disappear into the mud (as we discovered to our cost), the mesh stops them sinking.

We have a shelter dry enough to put shavings down inside, with a firm outdoor area in front. And as the sheets are pinned down they are still temporary and so no planning required.

I'd advise using rubber mats on their own. We have had good results with mesh sheeting on its own. Some mud does come through, but it creates a solid surface. Rubber mats on their own are expensive and do not work as well. Both together are very good, but if you have to choose go for the mesh.

We used this company who were very helpful
    http://www.horsemat.co.uk/

Sport horse

[ QUOTE ]
    i have rubber matting in mine, although tbh as long as they are carefully positioned so that the rain can't come in, and skipped out regularly, a dirt floor is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does depend on the soil, and how wet it is. We thought we'd be OK in the shelter which was carefully positioned and we have gutters to take the water away from the roof. We probably might be OK most winters, but not this which has been exceptional and the ground is literally saturated.

Veteran

I positioned my field stable (on skids) on a very flat area and put mats down. You can also buy as roll of rubber strip about a foot in width that can be tacked around the inside of your shelter to help keep the mats in place, bedding in and drafts out! I am on thick clay and have never had problems with leaks or wetness for the last 3 winters...the front gets muddy but that is fair enough. I use mine as a stable all year round and put my boy in at night. I have the mats and a proper bed of shavings with banks and it works really well. The shavings do sometimes get under the mats and lift them a bit but it is easy to clear out and flatten again.
    I also put guttering all round mine to collect the water in water butts and the excess is channelled away into a ditch with guttering pipe. Otherwise it would get very wet all around.
    You do technically need planning for a mobile shelter in some areas so be careful on that one.
    Welshie lover/owner Clique

Sport horse

When my dad did his 'field shelter' three stables and a hay/bedding store!!! He put it by the gate to the field and put down plainings (easy to get hold of just watch out for road work and ask for them. Depending where you are depends on how much they are). Not sure if plaining are seen as perminant but concrete is. They work well IF they are put down properly, his new yard is all plainings and as easy to keep clean as concrete.

It did make me laugh when he built them, 28 foot by 15 foot and loads of head room, all built on 4 inch box steel skids and really heavy duty ship lap timber. They are reallllly heavy but two hooks and a silly bit of chain sitting there (chain wouldn't hold the weight of towing a car!) past the planning. To move them you would need some some serious horse power!! We take them apart, all built in sections.
    Previously jpq but sold all of them