Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just backed

Default HELP...Leg Mites!!

Anyone got any advice...lovely little cob we've just got in has got bad mites on his hind legs poor little thing . I've not had any experience with this kind of thing before, gave them a wash with some antifungal/antibacterial shampoo, wasn't sure whether to sudocrem or not so left them for tonight. There's quite a lot of bald patches and scabs, but he doesn't seem remotely bothered bless him .

Oo and I named him Frank, just thought I'de pop that in!
    Mills xx

Veteran

Default Re: HELP...Leg Mites!!

Frontline spray is the only thing ive found that works, wash legs one day and spray them the next, its ingredient (trimethiprim) think thats spelt right!! is the only thing that kills them you can get it from your vet
    Riding, The art of keeping the horse between you and the ground!

Veteran

I second the Frontline treatment. Always worked a treat when we used it.
    2014 is going to be our year! Watch this space!!

Sport horse

When i got henry he had fairly bad mites. But when the vet came out to do his jabs they gave him a mite jab thing and they went within a week or so! might be worth a try...

When I bought a hairy with obvious feather mites, my vet gave Dectomax injections. Dectomax isn't licensed for horses, but sorted out the mites and also wormed the horse at the same time. If you go for the Frontline approach, your vet might recommend that you clip the feathers off which then can make your horse more suceptible to mud fever.

Put a dog flea collar on their legs.Cheap and cheerful!

[ QUOTE ]
    When I bought a hairy with obvious feather mites, my vet gave Dectomax injections. Dectomax isn't licensed for horses, but sorted out the mites and also wormed the horse at the same time. If you go for the Frontline approach, your vet might recommend that you clip the feathers off which then can make your horse more suceptible to mud fever.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree

I used the insecticidal (sp?) dog shampoo on my mare when she had mites - one full wash then another two weeks later to kill 'hatchlings'. The vet took a scraping afterwards and it came back clear.
    Not all those who wander are lost

I'll 3rd dectamax, my fine feathered arab got really bad leg mites (so bad he itched the skin and fur away) two jabs of dectamax sorted him out no problem!

*thanks to Ninja Noodle for the sig*
    Member of the 'Yes it is an Arab and yes I intend to jump it and no I am not mad' clique.
    'Be yourself and say how you feel, the people that matter don't mind and the people that mind don't matter'

i used insecticidial shampoo and make sure you clean all equipment etc grooming kits,boots etc