Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran

Default Caslick removal - when?

What is the earliest I can remove Tills' caslick?
    One vet has advised me that they can be taken out 2-3 weeks prior to her due date (yes AP... there is no such thing as a due date!!! ), whereas another has said to leave them as long as possible...
    This is her first foal, so it's not as though I have an idea of what is a 'normal' gestation for her - meaning that I'm not happy to take my chances of leaving it in in case she drops earlier than expected

Advice?

Schoolmaster

Default Re: Caslick removal - when?

mine is due on 5th april and the caslicks are coming out on 13th march. this is when my vet booked it in for .

You only know the due date once the foal has been born. That WAS the due date

I would remove the caslicks at day 295 to 315 of pregnancy. No later, and the closer to 315 the better. Your vet may have a different idea though. Having a foal born through stictched vulval lips is something which you want to avoid at all costs!

[ QUOTE ]
    Having a foal born through stictched vulval lips is something which you want to avoid at all costs!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's one of the MOST hideous sights imaginable! I've only seen photographs, but O M G!!!!

Veteran

My T/B mare always has a caslicks and i removed hers what i thought to be 3 weeks before her due date cough* cough* AP LOL good job i didnt leave it any later as her foal came the following week! 2 weeks early!! cough* cough* again, gosh this is going to be fun on here now we are too scared to mention due dates, reabsorbtion etc etc LMFAO

Had mine done around 260 days, couldn't bear the thought of an abortion being born through stitched lips let alone a foal, vet said do it in 1st stage labour, not bl**dy likely!!!!!!

Maybe its a female thing but NOOO!!!

When you're young and you fall off a horse, you may break something. When you're my age, you splatter. ~Roy Rogers

Leave it as close to the anticipated arrival as poss. When you have your tetanus booster for foaling (approx 4 weeks before) is normally the most economical time as vet already on the yard.

If you are sending your mare away to foal down, experienced attendants can do it at the time of foaling but this is not recommended for the first timer or for those mares which are not monitored.

we did ours when we thought she was a few days off foaling but then she held on for 12days whether that was because of the weather or being unstitiched no one knows

Veteran

Thanks guys