Old nag

Default Showing a Welsh B

Tips please? Am buying a havana in-hand bridle off ebay (the type with brass buckles) and a leather lead. Do I do the little plait behind the ear? If so, do I do it with ribbon? Its for a winter show held in a couple of weeks time. I want to look "correct". Because obviously the horses will all still have winter coats, nobody will look immaculate. Im planning to brush very well and wash his legs, tail and face - too cold to wash him all over. Do you think this'll be ok? He'll have a lycra neck cover on the night before to lay his mane.

Also when trotting up, is there anything they look for specifically for B's? I know that with D's you basically run as fast as possible as they're so dramatic but B's are more delicate?

Im used to showing a Welsh D under saddle so this is a little different!

Sport horse

Default Re: Showing a Welsh B

No clue as to correct turnout but I am in Scotland and my next door neighbours have a very good sec B who has been rugged to the eyeballs all winter and doesn't really have a winter coat!! Showing with little people is scarily competitive!!!

i'd be inclined to hot cloth your pony to get him clean and shiney.
    no idea about the plait. i think you can but have a look at whether it suits your pony.

Veteran

Trimming Guidance for Showing(see also Rules)

The Welsh breeds are a Native breed and too much trimming and pulling detracts from their native characteristics. Pure bred animals registered in Sections A, B, C, D & E must be shown in as natural a state as possible, manes and tails must not be plaited with the exception of a single long plait behind the ear.

Long hair under the jawline and those protruding from the ears may be trimmed off leaving as natural a line as possible. The whiskers around the muzzle may be trimmed.

If the mane and tail is very thick, they can be discreetly thinned to show off the topline and the hindquarters. The tail should look natural and should not be “banged” (leveled off square).

Welsh Part-Breds should preferably be plaited but this is optional.

This is from the Welsh Pony and Cob Society Web site hope this helps

Old nag

Welsh Sec Bs are a bit of an exception. They can be trimmed around the fetlocks and they also can have a trimmed mane. i keep mine at about 3 inches. You can also trim off a beard providing you do it carefully and subtley (not with clippers!). They are generally not shown with a plait, that is more often seen with A,C,and Ds.

You will find there may well be someone who has rugged up their Sec B for the winter but a lot who have not. The serious competitors seem to keep them in for 23hrs a day.
    http://www.freewebs.com/firstattempt/

Before you press the button...please look at the website! This is not advertising!

Veteran

Turn a section B out as if it was a show pony without the plaits, their manes are always about 3/4 inches long

Foal

Smile Re: Showing a Welsh B

hi iv just bought a secb 2 year old gelding by bunbury stud,can u clip off the fetlock hair and still show them as a b if their unplaited???was just going to do the shp with him instead but if its allowed then ill take him in sec b class aswell,also his tail has been cut at top and bottom?????