Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Old nag

Default Re: equimax overdose??? help

[ QUOTE ]
    My brother in law always worms his small sectiona with a full syringe and he is still here with no major problems.]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think he had better stop, the pony will develop resistence.

Hope your pony is OK, don't get too cold tonight.

They give huge overdoses when they trial these drugs. Hopefully the horse will be fine. I would rather overdose with Equimax than Equest. Trying to look on the bright side

Same thing happened to Beano when he was younger, he got a double dose. I rang the vet, who was at great pains to point out that there is a massive margin for error. He was fine, and I hope yours is too.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

No good deed goes unpunished.

I have done this before to a shetland foal, accidently, the ring didn't lock and the pony was struggling so the whole lot went in. Nothing happened, kept an eye on him and no side affects.
    My OH once dosed his cows with over 10 times the dose, he misread the dosage, phoned the vet who said the overdose rate was about 100 times the amount. I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on him

Erray Larkspur * Caspian * Erray Damson * Moss-side Dorlach*Clansman of Tobermory*Bella

Schoolmaster

Just asked my husband as he is a Vet and he said should be absolutely fine, you have to give a lot more Syringes than just the one to overdose. Incidently I always give my shetland a whole tube of Equimax so I know its ok too but thought I would ask him on a professional basis!! Hope it puts your mind at rest.
    Horses are for life.......Men are just for Christmas!

I'm not surprised your vet suggested staying with your foal all night. I've just checked the Equimax guidelines and it says that horses wormed to 3X the amount suffered higher incidences of colic. In addition, elevations of GGT and AST were more frequent and enzyme levels were higher.

It also basically said that mares looking to be bred shouldn't have this wormer as it lowers the conception-rate and in some cases the mares actually failed to ovulate.

There were also health problems with the foals of mares who had been treated at 3X the amount.

Equimax is not one of those wormers where it doesn't matter how much you give, because with Equimax it does. Accidents can occur once in a while; I always always double check that my notch is in properly when I am doing foals or small ponies.

Your little foal has had over 3X the amount but I'm think he should be okay though; maybe a bit squitty through the night; just make sure he doesn't get dehydrated.

Old nag

I was told by my vet that it is underdosing not overdosing that causes resistance...... the worms cant survive an overdose, but if they survive an underdose then can develop resistance.

Not 100% sure as not a vet, but thats what she said to me
    MQ

[ QUOTE ]
    It also basically said that mares looking to be bred shouldn't have this wormer as it lowers the conception-rate and in some cases the mares actually failed to ovulate.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Blimey! I'm very glad I didn't worm PF with equimax before she went off to stud then!
    Hope pony is OK!

“You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time."

Sport horse

just popped home to grab another blanket im going to freeze!! touch wood hes eating hay and seems himself, im curled up in the corner and he keeps coming over and chewing my sleeping bag and trying to pull my hair band out of my hair , but i dont care what he does as long as he is ok , i think he will be under my blanket given a chance te he
    ok off back up there
    its now till midnite if somthing is going to happen , il let you all know in the morning , thanks for all your help
    and yes i do always check the notches , it was my dumb arse sister and in future i will do them and boy will i check and check to see that the notch is done!!

Old nag

Sorry meant to wish you an uneventful night...... hope the littleun doesnt poo on you
    MQ