Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sport horse

Default Symptoms of Brain Tumor

What are the symptoms of a brain tumor in horses?

Thank you

Default Re: Symptoms of Brain Tumor

Lack of Coordination, nose bleeds. Probably more but that is what the pony up the yard showed.

Proud to hack out looking like 'Bertie Bassett'.

Sport horse

My horse suffered from a disease called Maries disease a few years ago which caused massive swelling on her brain and menigitis and sadly she was PTS.

Her symptoms were nose bleeds and pressing her head against walls, almost head banging. She lost control of her co-ordination and was very wobbly.

Pretty horrific.

Old nag

It all depends on which structure the tumour affects....common ones affect the pituitary which causes Cushings syndrome and laminitis.
    I have known different types...but there was no common thread apart from all of the horses demonstrated atypical and apparently irrational behaviour.
    S

Sport horse

I lost my previous mare to suspected brain tumour...she was head banging, thrashing around intermittently not constantly...when her bloods came back her liver was going in to failure and nothing would ease her 'fits'...she started on Monday and she was pts on the Thursday.
    She looked beautiful and as if nothing was wrong with her.
    Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend.

Sport horse

My pony would just go mental - first time I knew something was up was when we did a 20 mile fun ride in gallop because I just couldn't stop her (of course didn't know why at the time), she didn't even break a sweat which although she was fairly fit was a clear sign that something was up.
    She then started having nosebleeds and then having seizures which left her totally paralysed for up to 15 minutes at a time - not sure how long this was going on. When at it's peak she had 3 within a one hour period. She'd just seem very subdued or even relaxed afterwards with her bottom lip drooping.
    She also started producing milk.
    Ebony looked a picture of health when I finally said my goodbyes.

Sport horse

Oh god...Thank you for your replies and sorry to all who have lost horses.

My arab has always been a "stress head" and weaved but recently it's turned manic. It was so bad on Friday am that she was actually banging the left side of her had against the door frame. She was frantic and just totally wound up to high doe for no reason at all. All the other horses were still in and there was no change to her routing. When mum was leading her out Shiraz jumped on my mum and she is always sooo careful around people you could trust her with a child.

I've had someone else riding her but when I went to take her out last Monday night she didn't look like she was moving right in front, it eased off so put it down to age (nearly 21), stiffness, weakness/being so unfit, narrow chested/toe in and that the farrier had left her a bit toe long.

She had the signs of a very small nosebleed out her left nostril only (bloody mucus) on Sat am, Sun am and Sun pm.

She's always used me as a bit of a scratching post mainly when I remove her bridle after work and she's sweaty but the past month or so when I catch them in the field she's started almost headbutting me. I catch my 3 at the same time but as soon as I get anywhere near her she tries to rub/hit her head on me?? I was kinda putting it down to impatience/bad manners but all the little things are starting to add up.

I haven't noticed her producing milk or any change in her teats.

I got her blood tested last April as she dropped off quite quickly over a few days (had a long weekend away and she was left in mum's care but looked ill when I got back - put it all back on within a couple of days) but anyway the bloods came back totally normal?

I haven't seen an seizure type things.

I'll call the vet, she's not insured and is a 21yo stress head. Do they have to go to the local vet hosp to get scanned or is it something that my vet should be able to help with?

Thank you again for your help

Jill x

Sport horse

Poor you. My sympathies are with you, I know what a horrible time you must be having. I think you most definately need to get your vet out asap. I'm not sure if you horse would need to be referred to a hospital or not. If you have a good vet they may be able to advise on the symptoms alone.

My mare was admitted to hospital straight away as she was in such a bad way and after a few tests, I was told she had brain damage and would not get better so she was PTS that afternoon. Post mortem found tumours on pretty much every major organ in her body along with meningitis, but this was caused by the Maries disease.

Good luck and fingers crossed for you.

Veteran

[ QUOTE ]
    Poor you. My sympathies are with you, I know what a horrible time you must be having. I think you most definately need to get your vet out asap. I'm not sure if you horse would need to be referred to a hospital or not. If you have a good vet they may be able to advise on the symptoms alone.

My mare was admitted to hospital straight away as she was in such a bad way and after a few tests, I was told she had brain damage and would not get better so she was PTS that afternoon. Post mortem found tumours on pretty much every major organ in her body along with meningitis, but this was caused by the Maries disease.

Good luck and fingers crossed for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you give me some more info about that disease? We have a foal at work at the moment with suspected meningitis (symptoms similar to those mentioned above) although she seems to be on the road to recovery.

Sport horse

Of course, what do you need to know? I'll tell you Elli's story and if you need more info let me know.

Started with a strange bony growth on her foreleg which quickly made her lame. Vet x-rayed and thought she had a fracture. 6 months of box rest later she had a lot more bony growths, now on both forelegs but not so lame. Referred to the RVC who diagnosed Maries disease. It is incredibly rare, at the time (3 years ago) there where only 20 documented cases. Ellie was number 21. Prognosis is poor, all 20 horses had died/been PTS.

As she was well in herself and not in any pain, I decided to bring her home and turn her out for the summer so that she could have some happy time. No problems at all apart from occasional nose bleeds and more bony growths, now on all legs. After about 5 months she became a bit quiet and subdued and started to move a bit strangely, but not lame. This lasted for a few days. One morning I came to feed her and she couldn't move. We managed to get her to the field shelter while waiting for the vet and she started banging her head against the wall and having nose bleeds.

Vet arrived and said she was tying up. I said what utter nonsense ad referred myself to the RVC. Brave girl managed to get on the lorry and I travelled with her, trying to help her balance as she had now begun to lose her coordination.

They carried out a few tests, including checking the spinal fluid (showed meningitis) but I can't really remember all the details as I was in shock and distraught.

The vets said that the disease was now taking over her body (which was expected, we just didn't know how long it would take) and she had severe meningitis which had given her brain damage. She was PTS and the post mortem found massive tumours on her heart, lungs, kidney etc (pretty much every major organ) along with a massive swelling on her brain caused by the meningitis.

I'm in tears writing this as it is bringing everything back and I am remebering what a lovely, brave girl Ellie was. I sincerely hope that your foal does not have this horrific disease as they do not survive it. I was lucky to have had Ellie for 5 months after diagnosis.

If you have any doubts, mention Maries disease to your vet. The problem is that as it is so rare, not many vets have even heard of it, let alone know how to recognise the symptoms. You could always call the RVC, my vet there was called Gayle but I am not sure if she still works there.