Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lump on withers

Veteran
    Azerbaijan (or London and Suffolk - maybe...)

Default Lump on withers

One of our horses has a lump just to the left of his withers - it is slightly warm - and if you rub it it moves and crunches like a muscle that is tense initially - then it just is squashy... Horse doesn't like you to press it too much - but massaging it doesn't upset him.

Vet suggested physio - and physio came - gave us a witchhazel spray and said to massage it - which we are doing... He thought probably caused by ill fitting tack... (he had it when he arrived at our place two weeks ago)

Anyone had anything similar? It doesn't seem to be going away?

Schoolmaster

Default Re: Lump on withers

my mare had a few lumps come up under the sadle area, had the vet out and he said to keep it very clean and use natural washing powder when cleaning the numanahs they did get bigger but have now gone almost completly, shes is very sensitive the flies etc so i think it was the washing powder, however hers were never sore on paiful. hopefully they will just go after a while, x

Veteran

It might be that the numnah used on him wasn't clean... trouble is I don't know what caused it as he arrived with it...

Will carry on with keeping it clean and using the spray... Is just odd cos it is crunchy - if that makes sense... so almost like a muscle that is tense?

I`ve come across this a lot (I am a Qualified REAL saddler not retailer)- it sounds like a pressure sore/lump caused by the saddle sitting to one side - in this case to the right- and it digs in to the side of the wither- its either a wonky horse or saddle or rider or often a combination.
    Make very sure that the saddle is well fitting AND central. Dont go overboard on thick numnahs/pads as they can increase the pressure.
    Its the beginning of what was called a fistulous wither in the old days! Its most likely crunching because it is granulating as it heals. I wouldnt worry unless you get heat or it becomes very tender which indicates infection. They take AGES to heal as the fluid cannot easily drain from the damaged area as it can on a leg for example.
    I have also found many horses with random lumps UNDER the saddle cured by not using Persil washing powder- for some reason the non-bio seems to be worse than the bio!
    All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about
    I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored
    You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Veteran

Yes - that does sound like it....

It is a bit warm after he has been ridden... But that might be because of the exercise and saddle pad on top of it? Is not hot normally.

The well fitting saddle part is tricky... He is still growing and his muscles are not great as he is fairly unfit. The physio said not to buy him a saddle (properly fitted) until he was much fitter and had grown a bit more. He suggested waiting until the new year. So I have just bought a second hand adjustable wintec for the time being... I was using quite a thick saddle pad with another saddle (the one that fitted best from our yard) - but sounds like that could have increased the pressure? But that has only been for the first 3 days of riding him. The wintec arrives today - so can use that on Saturday.

So - should I continue to massage it? Or would that affect the healing?

Who knows what tack he had on him before - he spent 6 months in a riding school...

Wintecs are a fab solution to a changing shape horse! The clue is that his muscles are poor. Try standing on a bucket behind him -with a hat on and only if you are positive he wont kick!- and really look at his shape it can give you ideas on where you need to try to concentrate building him up.

Never feel guilty about using a thicker pad under a saddle thats slightly broad as a short term fix as that is unlikely to cause any major probs- if using thick pad under a slightly too narrow saddle-big slap on wrist!.

Most reputable riding schools have decent tack BUT they have novice riders who lack balance- this is most likely a wonky rider problem- good luck with getting him built up properly- massage wont do any harm- try witch hazel and arnica gel- its fab for this! Good Luck
    All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about
    I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored
    You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Veteran

Thanks v. much

the saddle wasn't too narrow - actually it wasn't too bad fit wise - I just put the pad on because I was worried it wasn't exactly the right fit - and didn't want to upset the lump.

He has a very weak back end at the moment and physio did say his back muscles are in need of building up. Will take a look from behind and have a proper look

Not sure how much he was used in the riding school - as he is so unfit... but it wasn't a UK riding school... it was in the ROI.

Going to carry on the massage - thanks so much for your help

xx

Just up from that street on the right.....

Beau had a lumpy withers. I used to use a normal numnah, but I felt that it was touching his withers so got a high wither one. A few days later and withers felt squishy so I squeezed it was ikky! Hole the size of a 5p, skin came off and puss came out. Its gone now though and I refuse to use the old numnahs as I blame them!!

Veteran

Yuk - that is vile

In some ways I wish this would just burst and be done with it... but not convinced it is infected in the first place... I have got a high wither numnah that I might use... especially as the new saddle has arrived now...

Just up from that street on the right.....

Oh it took a goot 3 weeks for it to burst! In fact I had forgotten about it and just like squished it! Was horrible! Guy at the yard made me douse it in vinegar to! Poor Beau - lol. He smelt like a chipper!