Default Rubber matting for field shelters

OK, I have placed an order for mobile field shelters to see us thru this winter pending planning application for agricultural barn....

I want to lay scaplings/chippings down (poss with sand compacted on top) to stop the whole area getting cut up and then inside the shelters, lay rubber mats.

So....any recommendations on rubber mats/suppliers - good/bad etc. I want to use these shelters as "stables" when it gets really grim, so matting/bedding required, and for my sheep, mats are a good idea too.

Thanks for your help, as always!

Catherine

Default Re: Rubber matting for field shelters

i have mats in my shelters. i've got the Mayomat ones, which are dense foam not rubber, so a bit lighter to move around, and better insulation. i don't use any bedding just the mats. as they're thicker than rubber mats, they cut out some of the low draught around the base of the shelter.
    i'd be wary of putting scalpings down if you've got unshod horses/youngsters, cos it might make their feet sore... just a thought.
    "...and I whispered to the horse: trust no man in whose eye you don't see yourself reflected as an equal." - Don Vincenzo Giobbe (circa 1700)
    "Remember, the horse has no bad intentions, he only reacts." Dr Gerd Heuschmann
    "Only ignorance! Only ignorance! Don't you know it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?" -- from Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

Thanks for yours! I have in mind v low grade (small bits!) scalpings with a top dressing of sand, like we use round the gateways - so no danger if someone (usually me!) falls over etc.

Will check out Mayomat - thanks!

C.

Just backed

Hi ya,

we use wood chipings inside the shelters which makes a super warm bedding/flooring which drains the pee really well and you just pick up the poo like a stable. We got our mats for the stables from an ebay supplier (sorry can't recall off hand which one) - 28 per mat + delivery but they are heavy - we cut them in half with a normal saw before we laid them in the stables.

Schoolmaster

I have got scalpings down in my mobile field shelter and they work fine.

Sorry to butt in on your post but I too am thinking about rubber mats in my mobile field shelter. I am worried that they will become slippery when the horses drag mud in (as they do). My horses often trot (and sometimes canter) into the field shelter at feed time jumping the metal and wood lip at the entrance.

Also as my shelter is at the bottom of a slope, it has sometimes had about an inch of water in it when we have torrential rain (it does drain very quickly when the rain eases or stops).

I have been told to get heavy mats as the lightweight ones can blow up in the wind - this was told to me by someone who was selling them for that reason.

have found some good/reasonabley priced heavy duty mats - they are v heavy tho so will need help manhandling them into position. PM for more details on suppliers if interested?

My OH is also on the trail of some heavy duty mats - he uses big mats in the construction industry to track the big diggers over when crossing roads etc so they don't damage the tarmac/surface, so we are looking into them too - likely to be cheaper if not aimed at the horsey market!!!

Cheers,

C.