Sport horse

Default When to stop riding a pregnant mare?

At what stage does everyone stop riding their pregnant mares. Shes been getting progressively more irritable when being ridden ever since she took in foal so have dropped down to hacking 2-3 times a week as schooling is totally out of the window (Would usually be ridden 5-6 days a week mixture of schooling, lunging and hacking). I was hoping to be able to just do some light hacking as far into her pregnancy as she was fit enough for but we seem to have reached the stage where she just wants to be left alone. Shes currently 5 months and has been particuarly hormonal for at least 2 months now, broncing more than usual and being an absolute tw*t to ride generally. Went out 6am this morning as normal and was greeted by her backside. Eventually coxed her out of the stable after lots of nasty faces and stubborn mule impressions to brush and tack up, wouldnt stand still to be brushed aparently every part of her body is tickleish now and lifts her leg to kick. Nightmare to tack up, mounted, threw an absolute thrombie in the yard.
    Consiquently got off and put her out in the field.
    I didnt ride her during her last pregancy as I was also heavily in foal so i cant really compare her but she wasnt this tetchy on the ground.

Schoolmaster

Default Re: When to stop riding a pregnant mare?

I stopped when the girth didnt fit

To a certain extent, some mares are the same as pregnant women; some sail through pregnancy all bubbly jubbly, others are the complete opposite and hate every minute. Sometimes a mare can be the complete opposite of how she was the previous time. This sounds to me like one of those times and in the circumstances I'd not even think about making her any more miserable than she already sounds and let her retire gracefully to the nursery. I'm sure others will disagree with me but that's life! However, if it is so completely different, it might be worth having your vet check her over just to put your mind at rest.
    Pat. Be a pauper - have a horse, preferably a British one

Deleted by popular demand.

I think you have your answer, your mare is telling you quiet clearly that she is not happy to be ridden. None of my mares behaved like that, but then only one got ridden upto 2mths from foaling & only because she was not supposed to be in-foal! I have stopped at 6mths as I think they have enough to contend with.

Sport horse

Hmm, think your right magic104. Im going to let her sort her issues out herself. Bringing her back into work will be fun!! (cringes)

Oh I agree with Magic here; I think your mare doesn't want to be ridden now. None of mine have behaved like this either and this year our pony was ridden up till a month before she gave birth, however my mare stopped being ridden within a couple of months of becoming pregnant because she came up unsound and grew enormous almost immediately.

Most mares are perfectly happy to be ridden right up till a couple of months before they drop - but obviously you have to just take gentle rides out; ie. walking, in the latter months.