Schoolmaster

Default Removal of splint bones

Would you buy/consider buying a horse that has recently had its splint bone removed? The horse in question had a large splint on the outside of its cannon that caused no problem for years, then suddenly caused lameness. The splint has now been removed and the horse is back in work with no apparent ill effects. I imagine this leg would now be exluded on an insurance policy. Would something like this affect the price? The horse would primilarily be used for dressage. Would welcome some opinions on this please!

Default Re: Removal of splint bones

must admit that this would put me off. why are they selling if horse sound? what does your vet think.

Old nag

My dressage horse had this operation done in July. He's now fully sound and according to the vets there is no reason why he should ever have any problems. But would I actually BUY a horse who has had this done? - I don't really know. From what my vets tell me, the prognosis is extremely good and nearly all horses who have this done never have any further problems. I would take careful vets advice and come to a decision on that basis.

Schoolmaster

It's a genuine sale as far as I can tell - the owner is giving up due to health problems. My vet says she would like the leg to be scanned before she would commit herself if I was buying the horse. She also says most horses have a good prognosis BUT it is still a difficult call to buy one with this problem. Her recommendation was that it would be worth a chance if the mare was VERY cheap.

Old nag

The price would have to be 50% lower than normal I'm afraid, as it is a gamble.
    henryhorn

Old nag

There are only 2 splint bones you can not remove (I can't remember which ones they are), but the rest you can pull out and the horse will be fine. Good point to bring down price, but should not be a problem.

Schoolmaster

I think one of my vet's concerns was that the lameness was caused by the offending splint bone snagging the suspensory ligament (I think!) which might therefore have some scarring which could be problematic at a later date.

i am sure that your insurance company will exclude this leg are you prepared to take on something that if you require futher vets treatment you will have to pay for. i know that sounds a bit mean but it will be reality if you buy this horse . is the price cheap are you just worried that if you dont buy the horse nobody else will. i always get emotional as soon as i've tried a horse and i know sometimes your head says walk away but your heart doesnt wont to my hubby would say look at other horses and if its still for sale and you cant find anything else then perhaps its ment to be however if something else comes up then it wasnt.dont know if thats of any help but good luck

Just backed

My pony had her near hind splint bone removed nearly three years ago, she competes regularly now and is ridden every day, even jumping, the splint bone snapped and stuck through the suspensary ligament yet still there is no difference in either her movement or her performance/stamina than before this injury and the op to fix it, she's 11 this time. I'd definately consider buying another that had had this procedure done as I can see no ill effects to my own pony resulting from the trauma. Yes, she may get some calcification of the bone later, arthritis or such like, but then most horses do at some point.