Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Veteran

Default Re: Freelander 1.8 petrol for towing ???????????????

LWB are much better 'towers', they give a better ride for the horses. I wouldn't say SWB are useless as they are not, I've towed with SWB Defenders and they are fine, it probably depends which make of vehicle you go for whether it is LWB or SWB

NO NO NO NO NO NO !!! Haven't reaad the other replies, but I nearly killed the very same vehicle by towing too much! If you have a very light weight trailer and a light weight pony/horse, then may be, but be very careful (learn from my very expensive mistake!)

Veteran

But why would a 2.5 with less power (and particularly torque) than a 1.8 diesel be more able to get the driver out of trouble? That's what I don't understand.

I could understand saying "don't tow a horse box with a car with less than x bhp and y newton metres of torque". I don't understand what then engine capacity has to do with it.

For example. My car is a 2.5 and has 167 bhp. The BMW 520i has 170 bhp (and a 2.2 engine). A toyota celica has 189 bhp with a 1.8 engine. Of these 3, the one with the smallest engine has the most power to pull you out of trouble if necessary. Obviously none of these cars are heavy enough to tow with, they could make it go but would have trouble stopping!

Can't find torque figures online - not a car geek

But still not understanding why engine size is so relevant.

personally i wouldnt be worried about killing the vehicle from towing too much, more like killing the horse you are towing

Old nag

KIA sportage is your ideal vehicle for towing modest sized caravans, it isn't promoted as a heavy duty towing vehicle. I had one and it was great as a small 4WD, and it towed my empty trailer safely and legally.
    The Sorento however is a serious piece of kit, I think it won What Car towing car of the year in 2006. So if I was buying to tow again I'd definitely check it out, because with KIA's you get a lot of car for your money.
    Freelander 1.8 - forget it. Forget it being a 1.8 or a 2.5 or whatever, it just doesn't have the capacity to be legal.

Veteran

It amazes me how many people seem to think it is the size of the engine that matters...from a safety point of view rather than towing...it is about the weight of the vehicle you are towing with. If you tow with a car or light weight 4x4 (Rav, Freelander etc) the car is not heavey enough to be safe, so if there is an issue with the trailer whilst towing the trailer will start very rapidly to dictate the direction of travel over the car because the car is not weighty enough to keep things in line. The trailer will just take over and you will end up in serious trouble.
    It does not matter about swb and lwb vehicles so long as the vehicle is up to the job. I use a Terrano quite happily because they are built on a steel chassis and solid as a rock...they are megga heavey and therefore safe for towing with...in addition having a 2.7 diesel engine means it tows with ease up the steepest of hills.
    People towing horses with any sort of 'car' should be pulled by the police and have their licence taken off them...it is a short cut that endangers themselves, horses and everyone around them.
    Welshie lover/owner Clique

Veteran

No don't do it, I have one for sale at the moment, we towed with it once in an emergency, it managed it but with a struggle luckily we didn't have to go far. We tow with a Range rover at the moment , I know they are not everyones cup of tea but I find it gives a nice drive. Someone on our yard tows with a 2.0l xzantia(sp) citreon car, that scares me!

Time someone did a sticky about this. Police should be out pulling people up who are towing horse trailers with anything that can't pull 3 tonnes without noticing. End of. Hmph.

Google the car's spec. If the max tow weight is less than the gross laden weight of your trailer FORGET IT.
    Member of only the cliquiest of cliques - including 'Infractors Anonymous'

Old nag

This is a chart of towing weights etc.......don't go by the overall towing weight which is massively over the weight of the vehicle. The best & safest guide is to look at the 85% column & that will give you a realistic figure you can safely tow with the vehicle you are looing at.

http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/kerbweights.htm

By this chart, a freelander 1.8 has a safe towing capacity of 1240kg. An Ifor Williams 505 ulw is 905 kg, which leaves you only 335kg for your horse & that weight barely allows for a pony A freelander doesn't really have the power to do the job.

Veteran

As Caravan Club's tow car of the year in the heaviest towing bracket for god knows how many years, I don't think you need to worry about a Kia Sorento. They can tow 3 tonnes, and they weigh 2100kg so can tow 1750kg safely (85% kerbweight), which is easily a trailer and one horse. With a light trailer you could get two horses in there (but not much equipment).

Can you tell I'm picking up my Sorento next week?!

Cheap they may be,lacking in grunt they are not.

Depends whether you're a badge snob really!