PDA

View Full Version : Feeding other peoples dogs

LuanneCat
16-09-07, 05:13 PM
Was having a discussion with friends about this last night. My old boy was unwell at least several times because people slipped him things without asking and he had several alergies. When a friends collie escaped after a long time searching she found some woman had caught her, tied her up and was feeding her bits of liver. Another friend was saying how her Lab now has a reputation as he was a bit keen taking some cake someone gave him at a party, again without asking.

Any views/experience? Personally I would never consider giving anything to a dog without checking with the owner.

Hey ho just rambling, am in that kind of mood lol.

Selkie
16-09-07, 05:36 PM
I always ask but we have a lab who is a thief and will take anything that looks even the slightest bit interesting. Even lettuce and cucumber so long as its stolen it tastes great

Tia
16-09-07, 05:41 PM
None of my friends would dream of just giving my dogs food; and I wouldn't dream of giving theirs any either. My dogs are not fed human food from human fingers and are definitely not encouraged to sit near us when we are eating outside. If any of my dogs come too close to the dining table outside then they are put in their pen. I can't bear begging dogs or ones sitting staring up at you when you are eating.

Spot_the_Risk
16-09-07, 10:19 PM
I'm with you on that one Tia, our dogs don't live in the house, and we love them as dogs, not psuedo humans. And if anyone slips my lurcher anything with lamb in it, he'll be ill for days - strange how people just don't understand.

jumbyjack
17-09-07, 11:59 AM
Nope, you're not rambling at all! http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif One of my dogs has colitis and I have almost had to get nasty with people wanting to give him titbits. 'It's only a little bit, or 'don't be so mean' is the sort of response to me saying please don't feed him. I get the vet bill and Cecil gets the sore gut becasue of silly people. I wouldn't even think about giving anything to someone else dog.