PDA

View Full Version : Advise please - personal problem

filly190
10-07-07, 06:24 PM
I am currently splitting with my husband and we are going our seperate ways in about 10 days. I have a new job which involves 12 hour days, lots of travel.

I have a wonderful rotti bitch who is five and we have agreed that as I am moving to a new house I would be the best person to keep her. Hubby is having a mid-life crisis and going off travelling.

I have a friend who is aware of my situation and has another friend who has just lost a Rotti and has asked if I would consider letting my baby go to them. She feels that my hours of work are too long and it is not fair on my dog, which I agree. I would have to keep her in the garden during the day, alone with a kennel for shelter.

The other alternative to keeping her, is to find a dog walker and of course take her down to the horses twice a day. As explained my hours of work are harsh.

I feel that the suggestion of a new home where she can have one to one attention and proper care would be better for her, but am struggling emotionally.

I am prepared to do the right thing for my dog and feel torn and worried about her being 5 and having to be re-homed.

What are your thoughts on this, what would you do in these circumstances, any suggestions and advise, gratefully appreciated.

Oneofthepack
10-07-07, 06:50 PM
Yuck, what a decision. My third dog Pie, who's 3 years old, came to me as a result of a marriage break up in very similar circumstances. The owner felt she was being left too long and wasn't getting the attention she was used to so she put feelers out and I heard about it on the grapevine. One week later she came to live with me and although she was very loved in her first home she settled really well and didn't seem to pine. It's like she never lived anywhere else now after only a few months.

Perhaps you could meet the other person with your dog to see if they have a connection? Pies first owner brought her over and we all went out for a walk and when Pie nudged my hand for attention while we were walking her owner knew she would be fine and felt happy handing her over.

TheBlackMoth
10-07-07, 07:05 PM
I had the same dilemna 16 years ago - I was working full time, had two children under 2 and was offer a fantastic home on a farm for my retriever. In the end I let her go- it seemed unfair to keep her with me when I couldn't offer her the same advantages.

claire1976
10-07-07, 09:48 PM
Oh dear Filly190, you are having a tough old time of late. Why not see how your dog copes with the dog walker and trips to the stables first? If it still looks like she's not enjoying being left for so long then you could still consider the new adoptive home. At least then you know you've tried the only other option for you and you'll be doing the best for your do
I can't imagine how hard this must be for you. When I split from my ex OH I took the two dogs with me but was only working part time as I'd just had a baby so it wasn't a prob.
Hope you reach the right decision for you both.

Tia
10-07-07, 10:23 PM
Oh Filly, I had absolutely no idea. I am so sorry for your situation now.

You know in your heart of hearts what the right thing to do is - it is so difficult as your dog would be your anchor but I know you will think of the dog before yourself and I wish you the very best in coming to the right decision for you both.

fruity
10-07-07, 11:07 PM
I have walked for a number of clients in a similar position to yours.Getting a dog walker is a great idea as thats a good hour out of the day that she'll be getting exercise and affection from a human.Even going down the yard will be refreshing for her,definatley see if that works out ok and if you really think thats not enough then i would consider the new home as you do know them so you could still see her and get info on how she is which would be great.

filly190
13-07-07, 11:02 PM
Many thanks folks

fmay
14-07-07, 01:39 PM
I don't suppose a 'dog-share' would work with your friend having the dog in the week and you having him back at weekends?

Tia
14-07-07, 02:40 PM
Oh what a good idea! http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif