PDA

View Full Version : Thrush war

zoon
25-04-13, 08:13 PM
My 2 have a bit of thrush. Were out during day and in at night on wood pellet beds (which I'm a bit OCD about so always very clean and dry), now out 24/7 on a track system. Fed a blob of sugar beet with meta balance, extra magox and salt once a day.

I've been making sure they are picked out and smothering in a sudocream/canesten/tea tree mixture once a day. Hasn't made any difference really.

What else can I try. Don't want to spend a fortune. Farrier friend has recommended purple spray from the vets?

Archiepoo
25-04-13, 08:18 PM
you can get the purple spray for cattle from tack shops its much cheaper (around 10) . it works really well after a hard scrubbing with hibiscrub and a dandy brush to get in all the cracks ,rinse dry and spray:)

zoon
25-04-13, 08:41 PM
Is that the same stuff as what I'd get from vets? Farrier said what you can buy is not nearly as strong

victoria1980x
25-04-13, 08:51 PM
I use "petes goo" which is clotrimazole 1% (sp) mixed with the triple antibiotic ointment from pete ramseys recipe.

I syringe it into the central sulcas as that was the worst area on mine and it's been fantastic.

I've also used red horses field paste which was good for more widely spread thrush.

which part of their hoof is affected? the whole frog area?

are you on phoenix forum? think there was a recent thread on there about thrush.

Cahill
25-04-13, 09:03 PM
prob get slated for this but got rid of ours with domestos,applied it for about 4 days and worked it in with an old toothbrush,has never returned.

zoon
25-04-13, 09:06 PM
They don't look massively thrushy, but are a bit soft and sensitive over the whole frog. no deep sulcus

amandaco2
25-04-13, 10:24 PM
^^^
Neat domestos...?

Alyth
26-04-13, 05:51 AM
Does salt water aka riding at the beach and paddling help thrush?

Dab
26-04-13, 08:22 AM
i alternate between scholl athletes foot powder with Tolnaftate 1% (anti-fungal) that i dust on and brush/poke into any crevices.

and stockholm tar spray...

this combination is the only thing that has worked for a very very hard to shift case of thrush....and it doesnt break the bank.

shadowboy
26-04-13, 10:22 AM
I used hoof cleanse which was 14 for a bottle cleaned with 2x a day and it worked within a fortnight :)

MerrySherryRider
26-04-13, 10:30 AM
Another vote for Stockholm Tar spray. I'm a convert after a recent chance conversation. Cheap, old fashioned but has worked when some of the newer designer products haven't.

The sheep foot rot spray (purple) has been good in the past, which is quite cheap too.

touchstone
26-04-13, 10:39 AM
Scrubbing with diluted bleach, salt water, grapefruit seed extract or hibiscrub help, also drying well before applying cream.

Stronger treatments include iodine spray, purple spray or stockholm tar; some would say it's counter productive as they can be damaging, so causing more material for the thrush bugs to feed on, but I've usually found them effective.

ajf
26-04-13, 01:48 PM
Have used the Kevin Bacon Thrush stuff. Seemed to work really well on our boy but was quite expensive and the pot didn't last long! Thankfully (touch wood!) it's the only time we've had a problem with thrush

Nats
26-04-13, 05:34 PM
Just had same problem, farrier recommended scrubbing out with hibiscrub then using any spray containing Gentian Violet, so I bought a bottle of the Lincoln purple spray and it seems to have done the trick in a couple of days. Wasn't expensive, about 5 I think? Prior to that I was using Leucillin but it wasn't touching it.

Kikke
26-04-13, 09:58 PM
Hoof cleanse and field paste from red horse. Nothing works better!

brucea
27-04-13, 10:57 AM
Best thing I found was Alamycin spray - but unless it is severe I now use the Septi-Clense (farmer foot rot spray) - Triclosan and Centrimide I think?

http://www.net-tex.co.uk/animal-health/sheep/sheep-foot-care/footmaster

MotherOfChickens
27-04-13, 11:02 AM
Life Data Hoof disinfectant. I was pretty sceptical about it and had been using certain popular preps with zinc sulphate in. I was then told they were detrimental in the long run.It cleared my larger horses thrush up very quickly and his was not great in feb/march, am now using it prophylatically on the ponies.

Polos Mum
27-04-13, 11:48 AM
I use the off the shelf cattle/ sheep foot rot spray, it's stronger than anything horsey (and vastly cheaper) soaks right in and drys quickly.

You can get something even stronger from the vet but as a first port of call I'd try the sheep stuff.