PDA

View Full Version : Help! Which trailer for a 16.3 Sports Horse pulled by a Freelander landrover diesel?

Trish30
07-02-13, 03:36 PM
Can anyone give me advic:(:(e as to which horse trailer to buy to transport my Irish Sports horse of 16.3 hands? I have a 5yr old landrover Freelander 4x4 and want an easy to handle trailer?

Sprig of Mistletoe
07-02-13, 03:38 PM
I would not tow any horse with a Freelander and certainly not one that size. Not heavy enough in my opinion.

JillA
07-02-13, 03:58 PM
According to Autotrader the max towing weight (braked) is 2000kg. YOur horse will probably be up to 650kg, allow another 50kg or more for equipment, haynets etc and you only have 1300kg to play with. I don't know what the weights of various trailers are, you might want to research them. MY old IW Hunter is well over 1500kg.

sunnyone
07-02-13, 04:00 PM
I don't know what size engine the diesel has but our 3 door Freelander 2.3 automatic (Y reg) towed brilliantly and in all weathers. We have an Ifor Williams 511, so not a small trailer and it regularly took 2X 16h wherever we needed them to go. We also towed other types of trailers with no probs.
Was sad to see the Freelander go but it broke down at 99,000 miles and the potential repair bill exceeded its value by some margin.
I wouldn't expect the 1.8 Freelander to be in the same class though and have no idea how good the Freelander 2s are.

mon
07-02-13, 04:03 PM
IW 506 and 511 are no more than 1000kg we fit two 16 hh plus in 506 but I am going to swap for 511 soon as just upgraded from x trail to jeep but 506 is fine just like more size as we often travel both together.

smellsofhorse
07-02-13, 04:05 PM
Freelanders can you roughly 2000kg. Depending on model.

They are not great for towing heavy loads ie horses!
Really you Rse going to be better with a single or a small double. But for the size of your horse you a large double.

smellsofhorse
07-02-13, 04:09 PM
What model is your car?
Engine size etc?
Check your cars hand book and read this.
http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/towing_weights_law.htm

this gives weight of ifor Williams trailers.
http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/brands/1015

BillyBob-Sleigh
07-02-13, 04:09 PM
I was advised against a Freelander, the Ivor Williams HB511 that I have (new model) weighs a tonne and with 2 horses, us and equipment it just wouldn't have done the job. I got an old Disco for 600 and it was fantastic! Never ever let me down and towed with ease. Only just changed it for a Toyota Hilux Surf as lower mileage. Just be careful with the Freelander...

Wheels
07-02-13, 04:11 PM
Was sad to see the Freelander go but it broke down at 99,000 miles and the potential repair bill exceeded its value by some margin.

lol you probably wore it out by towing a load that is too heavy!!!!!

Jazzy B
07-02-13, 04:23 PM
the new freelander model is absolutely fine to tow one horse with, and doesn't deserve all the bad press it gets on here. I think people with old X trails probably struggle more than people with new freelanders!

OP get yourself an ifor or any trailer you fancy really, your freelander will be more than capable of towing your irish sports horse on its own!

I tow with mine quite happily and have never have any problems plus it doesn't cripple my bank balance...

Luci07
07-02-13, 04:34 PM
Freelanders are getting bad press.. that would suggest people are passing on commmentary whereas the comments have been from people who owned Freelanders!

OP, you need to check what your towing weight is. Search on here for ALL the posts by ROG who is a complete godsend in terms of information and then you can work out, a what your car can tow and b, what sort of weight of trailer you could use.

As an aside, I have a Bateson Deaville, about 900kg, will take upto 2 x 17 hands and is nice and airy. I have had tricky travellers in mine and they have travelled well in it.

Jazzy B
07-02-13, 04:36 PM
the old freelanders deserved bad press, not the new models.

McW
07-02-13, 08:34 PM
A freelander doesn't have a separate ladder chassis so regardless of whether it can tow 2000 kg you're shortening the life of your car significantly by towing that load. All top towing cars has separate ladder chassis.

Shysmum
07-02-13, 09:23 PM
Freelander + Rice Trailer + 14.2hh Cob =

at every hill we came to, I would have to unload pony and follow the trailer. I am NOT kidding.

SOLUTION = DISCOVERY !!!!!:D

CobsGalore
07-02-13, 09:29 PM
Freelander + Rice Trailer + 14.2hh Cob =

at every hill we came to, I would have to unload pony and follow the trailer. I am NOT kidding.

SOLUTION = DISCOVERY !!!!!:D

:eek::eek:

Out of interest, how much does your trailer weigh?

My friend tows her 14.2 cob with her freelander often with no trouble, but it is a lightweight Bateson I think.

Jazzy B
07-02-13, 10:03 PM
Just buy another one when you've knackered the one you have with towing, the amount you save in petrol you'll be quids in..

Shysmum
07-02-13, 10:13 PM
Will have to get back to you on that, tho the Rice is a very solid trailer - she is an old girl, mind you so is our Disco - BUT with the disco you can tow two horses and not even know they are there. The difference is incredible. And so much safer with braking too.

I would never tow with any Freelander again. Ours was quite new.

holeymoley
07-02-13, 10:28 PM
We took the trailer out for the first time yesterday with a brand new freelander. It was fab, wouldn't know the trailer was there. Very light and smooth.

Trish30
09-02-13, 12:19 PM
What model is your car?
Engine size etc?
Check your cars hand book and read this.
http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/towing_weights_law.htm

this gives weight of ifor Williams trailers.
http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/brands/1015
Thank you so much for your info. My freelander 2.0 can pull max weight of trailer laden up to 18oo tons. I will have a look at the websites you suggested.

ROG
09-02-13, 01:12 PM
Can anyone give me advic:(:(e as to which horse trailer to buy to transport my Irish Sports horse of 16.3 hands? I have a 5yr old landrover Freelander 4x4 and want an easy to handle trailer?

No mention yet of what driving licence category you have ? B or B+E

That will make a lot of difference in regards to any answers

Trish30
09-02-13, 02:01 PM
thank you. it looks as if my freelander landrover will tow up to 1800 kg only. your website info very informative.;)

Trish30
09-02-13, 02:04 PM
Freelanders are getting bad press.. that would suggest people are passing on commmentary whereas the comments have been from people who owned Freelanders!

OP, you need to check what your towing weight is. Search on here for ALL the posts by ROG who is a complete godsend in terms of information and then you can work out, a what your car can tow and b, what sort of weight of trailer you could use.

As an aside, I have a Bateson Deaville, about 900kg, will take upto 2 x 17 hands and is nice and airy. I have had tricky travellers in mine and they have travelled well in it.

Thank you. My freelander can pull up to 1800 kgs. My horse is about 650 to 700, so your Bateson Deaville sounds like the type I should be looking at!. I will also look at ROG. As new to this forum do greatly appreciate all comments and help Forum gives.

Copperpot
09-02-13, 02:10 PM
I have a Bateson Deauville too. I wouldn't tow it with a Freelander sorry. Or an x trail or any small 4x4. We have towed it with a Nissan Terrano and a Nissan Patrol, both capable of towing 3000kg. Just about to get a new car so going for an L200. The Deauville is a lovely airy trailer thou.

Trish30
09-02-13, 02:15 PM
I have a Bateson Deauville too. I wouldn't tow it with a Freelander sorry. Or an x trail or any small 4x4. We have towed it with a Nissan Terrano and a Nissan Patrol, both capable of towing 3000kg. Just about to get a new car so going for an L200. The Deauville is a lovely airy trailer thou.

Very many thanks.

Trish30
09-02-13, 02:20 PM
:eek::eek:

Out of interest, how much does your trailer weigh?

My friend tows her 14.2 cob with her freelander often with no trouble, but it is a lightweight Bateson I think.

Am awaiting info on that but as oldish Rice trailer would suspect unladen weight aboout 1100

Trish30
09-02-13, 02:28 PM
No mention yet of what driving licence category you have ? B or B+E

That will make a lot of difference in regards to any answers

I have B+E driving licence category.:)

Trish30
09-02-13, 02:42 PM
According to Autotrader the max towing weight (braked) is 2000kg. YOur horse will probably be up to 650kg, allow another 50kg or more for equipment, haynets etc and you only have 1300kg to play with. I don't know what the weights of various trailers are, you might want to research them. MY old IW Hunter is well over 1500kg.

Jill, Thank you for all your info. Am researching this and also awaiting info back from the trailer I was interested in.:)

holeymoley
09-02-13, 02:44 PM
Search around for a Bahill. There's 3 on eBay just now. Love my little trailer! We pull a 14hh in it with no partition with a freelander. It's roughly 800kg without partition.

Trish30
09-02-13, 02:46 PM
Sounds good. Will look into it. Many thanks

Copperpot
09-02-13, 02:54 PM
I think you may struggle to fit him into a Bahill. One of mine is a 16.3 ISH and I found not many trailers had the headroom I wanted for him.

Trish30
09-02-13, 03:02 PM
Thank you everyone for all your help. As new to this site was very pleased indeed to receive such info. Very many thanks and I shall now spend time with more intensive search now I know which sites to visit. ;)

ROG
09-02-13, 03:13 PM
I have B+E driving licence category.:)

Much easier in that case ...
If you have a 1800kgs towing limit then the vehicle SHOULD be able to tow that weight however as vehicles age many will lose all that ability

Regarding internal height .....
Put various trailers into a google searches and check out the dimensions

Tilda
09-02-13, 09:22 PM
I had an old shape freelander and it was fine towing 1 small horse 15.1 welsh D was the biggest horse with an old rice and an ifor 505 but I wouldn't have wanted to tow anything bigger more for going down steep hills than up as it could feel like the trailer was pushing the car! Can't comment on the new shape but they certainly look bigger and more sturdy!

biggingerpony
09-02-13, 09:57 PM
My mum has a new freelander, and towed my horse and others with no problem! I don't know what the fuss is about?! It towed my horse all the way from Kent to Nottingham and back twice with no problem!! She weighs about 450-500kg

ETA it was much better than my our old Subaru Forester!

smellsofhorse
09-02-13, 10:14 PM
Just to add.
Freelanders, or atleast the old one where in permenant four wheel drive.
So for driving round day to day the fuel costs add up!

Blythwind
10-02-13, 05:27 PM
You could go for an ifor Williams single horse trailer (401) if you need a lighter weight and are only towing one horse. I have one and I love it x

Trish30
10-02-13, 09:25 PM
You could go for an ifor Williams single horse trailer (401) if you need a lighter weight and are only towing one horse. I have one and I love it x

That sounds good too. I have been trawling and researching through net today, and came to that conclusion - or I have to get a better towing vehicle !!! :)

Trish30
10-02-13, 09:29 PM
Just to add.
Freelanders, or atleast the old one where in permenant four wheel drive.
So for driving round day to day the fuel costs add up!

Thank you for that. Yes the freelander is an old one - year 2006 although 2.0, and the towing amount it can pull is 1800, so definately feel now, after all advice and research, that it will have to either pull a one horse trailer - which is OK for me - or another car (not sure I can afford a new Freelander!). Cheers and thank you.:)

Trish30
10-02-13, 09:32 PM
Much easier in that case ...
If you have a 1800kgs towing limit then the vehicle SHOULD be able to tow that weight however as vehicles age many will lose all that ability

Regarding internal height .....
Put various trailers into a google searches and check out the dimensions

Yes, my Freelander is yr 2006 and getting on!! Will do my research more as you suggested. Many thanks for your help. :)

Dusty85
10-02-13, 09:35 PM

Hi, I just wanted to say that I have a 57 plate Freelander, and a iFor williams 510 (the big one that weighs 1000kg unladen). I tow my 16.2hh horse (weighing approx 560kg last time i weighed him), along with all the other kit that you need.

It tows with no problems at all, including up and down hills. I wouldnt want to tow two horses however, but only as it wouldnt be legal.

Lots of people say that 'they wouldn't want to tow with it' BUT, that is because they never have towed so they dont know! And, its perfectly legal.

I personally find the Freelander a great comprimise between driving a gas-guzzling 4x4 and being able to tow.

I hope this helps!

Trish30
10-02-13, 09:45 PM
Hi, I just wanted to say that I have a 57 plate Freelander, and a iFor williams 510 (the big one that weighs 1000kg unladen). I tow my 16.2hh horse (weighing approx 560kg last time i weighed him), along with all the other kit that you need.

It tows with no problems at all, including up and down hills. I wouldnt want to tow two horses however, but only as it wouldnt be legal.

Lots of people say that 'they wouldn't want to tow with it' BUT, that is because they never have towed so they dont know! And, its perfectly legal.

I personally find the Freelander a great comprimise between driving a gas-guzzling 4x4 and being able to tow.

I hope this helps!
Thank you. :) Think I will have to borrow a IW 510 and just try it, and with all the help I have got, then make a decision. Bye the way what do you mean by a 57 PLATE freelander:confused:

Dusty85
10-02-13, 10:13 PM
It was registered in the latter half of 2007. I think the model changed in 2006, so the newer type freelander came out from then on. The only reason it matters is i think the old ones can tow 1800kg, and mine can tow 2000kg

When i was researching what to buy i looked on all sort of websites and most people seem against it,(unless they have one anyway) but it actually tows without a problem. My one rule is that i wouldnt want to be towing near the limit of 2000kg.

My advice to you would be to borrow a trailer if you can and see how it copes!

Hope this helps