PDA

View Full Version : Mallanders scabby knees. Do you have photos?

jennie1000
27-11-12, 08:08 PM
As above really.
My cob suffers from this dermatitis behind her knees and was interested to see photos if anyone else has them. Also successful treatments but there are lots of threads on here for that already.

jumpingjasper
27-11-12, 09:42 PM
No pics sorry but i used a product from barrier. Cant remember the exact name but put it on thick as instructed and could comb the scabs out in 2 days. so worked really well! :-)

jennie1000
28-11-12, 12:17 PM
The scabs are very weird. They feel almost like the material chestnuts/ergots are made from.... Very rubbery. I'm making a guess that this is what my mare has. She has lots of skin related problems but this appeared for the first time last winter. Nee got rid of totally and is now back again as bad as ever. Was hoping photos would help me confirm mallanders.
Thanks for the reply. I will google that barrier stuff.

misterjinglejay
28-11-12, 12:29 PM
Mister Jay suffers with this, and has done for years. I keep it in check by washing with very weak hibiscrub once a week = really soaking it, and then smothering on E45 cream, once I've picked off the loosened scabs.
You are right though, the scabs do have a rubbery, greasy feel to them, and seem to grow perpendicular to the leg, if you know what I mean.

jumpingjasper
28-11-12, 03:58 PM
Sounds same as mine kindof start right in back of knee joint then spread up and down if not quick enough with treatment. starts to flake away on its own aswell.