PDA

View Full Version : Who rides on christmas day ?

maisiemoo
14-11-12, 09:30 AM
I remember last christmas day thinking it would be lovely to go and ride { well actually daughter ride me walk with dogs }
There's only the 4 of us on xmas day , and after the pressies were opened i was bored , not used to doing nothing , we don't eat till later so i can have a drink with dinner after pony has been put to bed .
What does everyone else do ?
Kids are not little anymore so i'm not needed to help put things together and put batteries in various toys lol .:)

Dizzydancer
14-11-12, 09:34 AM
I always did when was living at home with first pony as he was a Christmas present and it was tradition. Sadly stopped 6 years ago when met OH as we split the day between his parents and mine for breakfast then lunch.so only time to feed and turn out then YO fetched in.
This year tho we not going to our parents for breakfast doing lunch and tea- will be riding this year as long as weather allows!

Toby_Zaphod
14-11-12, 09:45 AM
We rarely do now but years ago, infact the Christmas the children had their first pony, I stood in a freezing cold arena whilst my children rode their new pony. We then went for a hack & I walked along with them. It was so bl@@dy cold but I was warmed by the glowing smiles on the faces of the girls. One of them has since lost interest in riding but the other still rides competetively & she's now 25 so the Christmas riding was many years ago. It was a magical Xmas :)

Fransurrey
14-11-12, 09:45 AM
Last year was the first year in about 16 years that I DIDN'T ride out on Christmas day (my arm came out of plaster only two days earlier and was useless)! I normally squeeze one in, even if it's only an hour.

amymay
14-11-12, 09:46 AM
A friend and I always used to ride on Christmas day, did it for years. Popped some tinsel on the bridle and our hats, and would go out for a quick hour. Stopped doing it when she moved yards :(

Antw23uk
14-11-12, 09:53 AM
I've only got back into riding over the last six months but when i was younger i would always ride on Xmas day and I hope that this year, now i have a wonderful share horse i hope to go out for a quick hack on Xmas morning this year :D

Mythical
14-11-12, 10:05 AM
I'll be doing my first Xmas day with the horse this year. Others who have been at the yard longer say YO arranges a Christmas day hack and everyone wears tinsel and flashing lights. Mum is saving Madam a couple of all the veggies, so she'll have a Christmas dinner, BUT I'm still expected to be at home in my Christmas clothes, NOT covered in hay and NOT stinking of horse for all the ceremonial nonsense my mother insists on at Christmas. So it's gonna be hard work with multiple back and forth-ing, but I can't wait for Christmas this year!:D

Crosshill Pacers
14-11-12, 10:07 AM
I haven't in the past, but seeing as Christmas Day is one of my few days off I will this year! Big Ears will love going for a spin I'm sure :)

monkeybum13
14-11-12, 10:10 AM
If you hack out on Christmas morning the chances are you won't see a car :D:D

I won't be riding on Christmas day this year, that time of the year is busy with hunting and Christmas day will be one of her days off in between meets.

Antw23uk
14-11-12, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=monkeybum13;11252017]If you hack out on Christmas morning the chances are you won't see a car :D:D
[QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly .... No cars hopefully and as im not hosting this year (only taking the starter to my brothers where we are all meeting) I can prep it all the night before and then have the whole morning down the yard Yipppeeeeee :D

Brightbay
14-11-12, 10:24 AM
Christmas Day hack is often the nicest of the year :D

No traffic, no sounds of traffic, just lovely still morning. It can be a slow hack, though, as when we pass houses, all the kiddies want to come out and pat the horsey (and feed him parsnips...)

Chaptertwo
14-11-12, 10:26 AM
If I get time I do :) but usually a nice quiet hack!! :)

Quantock-cob
14-11-12, 10:29 AM
Why are we having this discussion now - it is not even December!!

StarcatcherWilliam
14-11-12, 10:31 AM
If you hack out on Christmas morning the chances are you won't see a car :D:D

I would love to mainly for the above reason, but just don't have time :-(

maisiemoo
14-11-12, 10:39 AM

Cos reading the thread on what someone wants to get their foal for christmas reminded me ! ;)

Nannon
14-11-12, 10:42 AM
Don't usually, muck out etc in the morning and then back to help get lunch ready.
Working this year though 8 til 2.30 :( so mum will probably do the horses in the morning for me and I'll do them in the evening and give them their treats :)

PolarSkye
14-11-12, 11:04 AM
You've just given me a wonderful idea . . . pre-Kali we always took a Christmas Day walk with the dogs . . . I'm going to propose that we include Kali in that little scheme and drag the whole fam up to the yard for a gentle wander together :).

P

Loulou2002
14-11-12, 11:25 AM
we don't hack out (horse has issues!) and it seems a bit pointless riding in the menage when i can have a day off! I used to with my old horse though .

Jess Hoss
14-11-12, 11:29 AM
Yeah - to try & forget it's xmas (bah humbug) ! Hate the social pressures of the day & spending time with my girls takes the edge off ! !

katiey
14-11-12, 11:42 AM
Christmas morning ride tradition at my house is a hack in our pj's!!! Me and my sister head out in our pj's (several layers and coats as freezing) and take our boys (who are usually decorated in tinsel!!) on a little pootle in the morning why Christmas lunch is prepared - good way to get out of chopping veg!!! Then its back for pressies and lunch.
The horses also always have guiness in their dinners for a Christmas treat :-) xx

Batgirl
14-11-12, 12:09 PM
Yup me and some friends have planned early morning to go through town to a piece of hallowed ground that is impossible to get to when traffic around in Harrogate :)

Also going out on New Years day morning, always V V quiet.

Grinchmass
14-11-12, 12:43 PM
First year with my boy, however I will also be making Christmas dinner. As much as I'd like to ride early morning it may just be a twice a day usual chores with some treats for good measure...

pottamus
14-11-12, 12:55 PM
Weather permitting I always hack on Christmas morning as soon as it is light, we go for a potter around the block in peace and quiet. Last winter we were knee deep in snow though so fingers crossed for this year.
It is easier for me as I have no children, OH is used to me going out first thing and accepts it as the normal whatever time of year and we dont need to be at my familiys house until midday.

Starzaan
14-11-12, 12:57 PM
I don't. I give all my liveries the day off, and have generally been hunting all day on my birthday (Christmas Eve) so my horses have the day off too.

I usually end up washing greys on Christmas afternoon though for hunting on Boxing Day. I quite enjoy an hour or so away from Christmassy things to be quiet and listen to the radio while I scrub muddy tails!

Bright_Spark
14-11-12, 12:58 PM
Yep, I'm planning to, for the first Christmas ever :D

We've got family over, so might be very early in morning, but looking forward to dressing us up in tinsel and being silly :o

Minnies_Mum
14-11-12, 01:55 PM
First Christmas with my lad this year so I'm hoping I can persuade my sister to come out for a pootle and cover the horses in tinsel... :)

monkeybum13
14-11-12, 01:58 PM

But the coca cola ad has been on the telly!!! :D;)

monkeybum13
14-11-12, 02:02 PM
I don't. I give all my liveries the day off, and have generally been hunting all day on my birthday (Christmas Eve) so my horses have the day off too.

I usually end up washing greys on Christmas afternoon though for hunting on Boxing Day. I quite enjoy an hour or so away from Christmassy things to be quiet and listen to the radio while I scrub muddy tails!

I may be completely wrong but I think you are in the same hunt country as me? Do you go along to the meets or just do all the hard work beforehand? If you do I'll come and say hi if I see sparkling clean greys :)

ossy
14-11-12, 02:14 PM
Not me i'm afraid I will 200 miles away from my horse at my mum and dads house.

POLLDARK
14-11-12, 02:39 PM
Always hack Christmas day, it's so quiet it's lovely.I've never met another rider out though.

Chestnut mare
14-11-12, 02:41 PM
Once in 12 years I've had my pony. Always too busy :-/

ZoeF
14-11-12, 02:52 PM
Yes, its my first christmas with Tigger so we already have a hack out round the village planned with my friend. My husband has also agreed to cook lunch this year so I dont have to rush round :-)

HashRouge
14-11-12, 02:56 PM
My sister and I try to. She had to borrow a horse last year as her lad was out of action but we managed a lovely hack in the end. It helps that we have a very small family, so often it is only us two plus mum and dad for Christmas, and that they like going for walks so they don't mind us riding so long as they get a walk in. And so long as we aren't out for too long.

lesley j
14-11-12, 03:04 PM
Got our lovely boy in May and my daughter would love to ride him christmas day in all his new finery on her christmas wish list but I have heard that our yard closes down on christmas day and that the yard owners give the horses hay as no one is allowed in. Bit sad but I guess everyone needs a day of peace now and then:):)

Spanish Eyes
14-11-12, 04:01 PM
Oh, dear - all you lovely young things going out riding your horses whilst someone else prepares the Christmas Dinner.;)

Sadly in our family, I'm the one doing the preparing...................:rolleyes:

So, no riding for me, but as the horses are at home, I will escape the relatives after lunch for a bit of a horsey cuddle.

EKW
14-11-12, 04:33 PM
I get paid to : D :D :D

mcnaughty
14-11-12, 04:51 PM
I'd love to but with young children I feel it would be too selfish - Christmas is for kids - New Year for adults.

Should be going hunting on boxing day though so that is my jolly!!!

Polotash
14-11-12, 04:52 PM
Me - and I'm the one doing the dinner.

My day is like this...

Horses fed and mucked out, turkey in, presents opened, sausages, veg, spuds all prepared, spuds and sausages in oven, out for a hack (1 hour), sausages and spuds into bottom oven, veggies cooked, lunch served bang on 1 o'clock. Simples!

Afternoon is for dog walking on the beach, always loads of people doing the same and lovely atmosphere.

tinap
14-11-12, 04:58 PM
We went away for Xmas last year, but the year before my daughter asked me to take her out riding. The kids aren't little anymore & by 2pm she was stir crazy in the house so we went out for a nice hack while her brothers were scrapping over the PlayStation & the OH was asleep :)

Madam Min
14-11-12, 05:04 PM
We always ride Christmas Day as the yards usually nice and quiet and I'm lucky as never do Christmas dinner, always go elsewhere! :D

Shysmum
14-11-12, 05:05 PM
Definitely, round to the pub ! :)

carolineb
14-11-12, 05:08 PM
Always ride on Christmas Day unless we've been hunting the day before. Love it - so peaceful!!

mandwhy
14-11-12, 05:30 PM
Aww tinsel on bridles sounds cute, I will probably drag whatever family members want to come with me on the morning as parents house is only half an hour or so away, and make a family walk with me riding into a tradition!

mandwhy
14-11-12, 05:36 PM
Hmm I forgot about the cooking, will have to put the turkey in and hope its alright/not on fire when I return!

rolsterlady
15-11-12, 07:15 PM
Have done a few times :)

Definitely will be this year as i've now got my own car (for the first year), so i'll be able to sneak off and have a quick ride before the family wake up.. :rolleyes:

ebonyallen
15-11-12, 07:53 PM
I always do if the weather allows, its great hardly any traffic and everyone is in a good mood and wishes everyone happy Xmas, I love it. Only yesterday made arrangements to go out. If you get the chance go for it.

Starzaan
15-11-12, 08:13 PM
I may be completely wrong but I think you are in the same hunt country as me? Do you go along to the meets or just do all the hard work beforehand? If you do I'll come and say hi if I see sparkling clean greys :)

I am indeed - this year I think I'll probably be hunting on both Christmas Eve and Boxing Day, so definitely come and say hello! Who are you out with?

ETA - I'll get my morags out so you can recognise me.

Spotsrock
15-11-12, 09:53 PM
Always. This year will be 18th Xmas I've ridden L, we're now 32 :)

el_Snowflakes
15-11-12, 09:56 PM
I'd like to...but even if I do get the day off work my OHs family live abroad so I wouldnt leave him alone. We only have one horse but not sure he's be up for hacking on xmas even if we borrowed another.

monkeybum13
16-11-12, 08:30 AM
I am indeed - this year I think I'll probably be hunting on both Christmas Eve and Boxing Day, so definitely come and say hello! Who are you out with?

ETA - I'll get my morags out so you can recognise me.

Beaufort :) I'll definitely be out on Christmas Eve and maybe Boxing Day, if I'm not riding I'll be on foot. I'm not very easy to spot being on a 16.2 bay, the same as everyone else!

Haha, if I see any morags I'll know it is you :eek: