PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have fingernails and a horse?

Penny Less
10-05-12, 08:32 PM
Fed up with my broken soft nails, would love to have long glamourous nails. Anyone got decent nails? Whats your secret ?

ClassicG&T
10-05-12, 08:35 PM
Nails?! I haven't had nails in about 9 years!

Lintel
10-05-12, 08:36 PM
Have seen it done... but only by *poncey* horsey people as I would call them.
But no... I don't think it is :P

tallyho!
10-05-12, 08:36 PM
yes girls it is possible... get man to do nail-wrecking work like lifting buckets... rugs... saddles... feed bags... :D

Montyforever
10-05-12, 08:38 PM
Mine are strong and long but nothing can save them when you are around horses and when they are long when they break they break very very nastily! :( I actually cut mine now after a few horrible bruises under my nails when they broke off!

wildwoman666
Not onless u like having them riped off. As i found out twice the hard way . I grow long hard nails and twice when my girl had one on her it was my nail that got it. Hurts like mad and to think i though she was bleeding...lol

Goldenstar
My groom does I don't perhaps it's owning the horse that does it LOL.

Bikerchickone
10-05-12, 08:39 PM
It most certainly is possible. I have lovely long gorgeous nails and wouldn't ever be without them. I also have two lovely horses as well, and I'm definitely not a poncey owner! My secret is the best ever acrylic nails done by a lovely little shop near me for a very reasonable price. They NEVER break! :):):) totally cheating but totally worth it! ;) x

ebonyallen
10-05-12, 08:40 PM
Nails, what are Nails :eek: Not seen mine for more years than I care to remember :rolleyes:

ladyt25
10-05-12, 08:41 PM
No

That is all!

1Lucie
10-05-12, 08:42 PM
Nope! No nails here!

Penny Less
10-05-12, 08:43 PM
Even when mine are so short they dont extend past my finger ends they still split and break. My toe nails however, are like concrete !

dafthoss
10-05-12, 08:44 PM
I do :o:D. Horse is on completly diy and is in proper work and I still manage to have nails that I grew my self :D. Dont really have a secret have always had nails that grow ok and dont break to easily.

Littlelegs
10-05-12, 08:45 PM
I keep mine short, use decent fakes if I want to look my best, which isn't often. Hate it when horsey people have long grubby nails, that after any amount of scrubbing still look rank & awful. Fair enough if they come up clean, but I can only manage short neat nails myself.

ShowJumperBeckii
10-05-12, 08:49 PM
Yes, but keep them short and dark colours or you see the dirt underneath:o.. my naughty horse has very kindly ripped 3 off my nails off and it bl00dy hurts:o:p

OakleyEarth
10-05-12, 08:52 PM
Eat plenty of avacado's and nuts girls... My nails are long, strong, never break and my horse is on DIY... something to do with vitamins and oils I think... Who knows but it works :-) x

smiles24
10-05-12, 08:55 PM
Yep it's possible :) I have nails about 5-10mm long and very strong. Not a poncy owner and do everything also have toddlers so it is possible but I will say that I use Avon nail strengthener and ride and muck out in gloves.

me&Harvey
10-05-12, 08:57 PM
I do....

Stick on ones :p;)

I only use them when i go out but last time everyone thought they were my natural ones, i was like, no, sadly not :(. I too have the "horsey" short broken uneven nails!

Deffinately couldnt wear stick ons all the time though- once made the mistake of applying them before i went up the yard as was first time wearing them so thought I'd see if they were difficult to apply and i lost about 3 just mucking out and making feeds!

tallyho!
10-05-12, 08:58 PM
more milk anyone???? :D

coss
10-05-12, 08:58 PM
yes.. though i cut mine just recently - i forgot to trim them so a couple broke (ouch)
also shut my finger in a door which didn't help.
this is my thumb nail not as long as usual. I always wear gloves when working with horses - that helps a lot!
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q177/cosspb/pDSCF9077.jpg
P.S - don't drink milk.. only calcium i think is via yoghurt, cheese and ice cream for me :p

Tonibird83
10-05-12, 09:00 PM
Yes - managed horse at home and short acrylic nails for some years now. The only thing that threatens the pain of premature removal is tightening the girth which has to be undertaken with care :D

TallulahBright
10-05-12, 09:00 PM
No. I bite mine when working and at least that means nothing nasty gets caught underneath. Mmm

Jackson
10-05-12, 09:02 PM
Meeeee! But having cuticles that grow out carbonfibre is less of an advantage when you try and cut them though!

suey12
10-05-12, 09:14 PM
It most certainly is possible. I have lovely long gorgeous nails and wouldn't ever be without them. I also have two lovely horses as well, and I'm definitely not a poncey owner! My secret is the best ever acrylic nails done by a lovely little shop near me for a very reasonable price. They NEVER break! :):):) totally cheating but totally worth it! ;) x

I totally agree with this I also have acrylic overlaid on my nails, it might be cheating but it works !

depurple1
10-05-12, 11:15 PM
My nails are long, I used to always varnish them as a teenager and ever since that they've grown really strong, even though they've been bare for years.

Nocturnal
11-05-12, 05:02 AM
My nails are long and strong :D. Have 2 on DIY, so not poncey either! I don't do anything special to them, and don't eat as healthily as I should... Perhaps it's all the milky tea I drink??

Super_Kat
11-05-12, 05:24 AM
In the last 6 months i've broken 2 nails around the horses (and I look after 9!), BOTH broke whilst moving wet slip rails :rolleyes: But on the whole most people think my nails are fake as they're that square shape and in good nick.
- Always keep nail polish on them, minimum of a base layer and a colour coat/another layer of base coat.
- Change polish at least every three days.
- Every time you change polish file them, top and sides to make sure any tiny splits are taken out and they don't get bigger.
- Always wear rubber gloves when doing wet stuff
- Get yourself one of those 4 stage manicure things (one side is a file, one a ridge remover, one a buffer and the last side is a polisher, use it every time you change your polish.

Good Luck :D

charleysummer
11-05-12, 06:00 AM
I do not have very long nails, but they hang over the edge of my fingertips- I have got used to using them for fiddly things around the yard and am useless without them :p !

elsielouise
11-05-12, 06:05 AM
Yes.

Gel nail varnish.

I've had mine a week now, it has to be done professionally by a good salon but is much more natural than acrylic, lasts at least two weeks without chipping or peeling and loads of colours including French manicure. Also protects nails.

I've not had gel before but am a convert having had usual week of dogs, horses and hens plus toddler.

Only thi g is convincing my husband to pay for a mani once a fortnight....

EmmaB
11-05-12, 10:14 AM
Before I would of said no...my nails were always wrecked from the yard, but I had acrylics put on for holiday, thinking I'd have them off afterwards because of the horses but even now they're getting quite long they're so strong that they haven't been a problem at all. Except for poking holes through the end of my gloves :o

I'd keep them on now I know they're fine at the yard, but I can barely use my bloody phone with them on and I'm a total iphone addict so guess they have to come off :mad:

Sameru
11-05-12, 10:17 AM
Yes! Mine are long, gel extended, beautifully varnished and they remain that way regardless - I have a horse on DIY, ride almost daily, teach etc - I re-paint them once a week or so :D

Patterdale
11-05-12, 10:30 AM
Yes - I have multiple horses and lovely long nails. Here is my step by step guide:

1. Get pregnant

2. Stop riding

3. Turf horses out to go back to nature and become feral

Horse owner + long nails = easy! ;)

My horse care duties now extend to looking at them twice a day, stroking them and giving them carrots. I've given up on grooming because now that they are wild again I think they quite like being covered in twigs and sheep s***.

I REALLY miss the riding but other than that it's AMAZING!

GinaGem
11-05-12, 10:50 AM
Mine are rock solid so don't cause any probs. I don't touch them except to keep them painted so they don't look manky before i can clean them. I have two horses on diy. I bit my nails for years so don't know if that made them grow thick but i do tend to try and eat fairly healthy so maybe that helps.

Excuse the manky polish:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/gb_babe/Other/d960affd.jpg

Chan
11-05-12, 10:54 AM
My YO sometimes gets some fab nails done! They last her a long time too and she has 23 horses to do everyday.

I also had loooooong nails for a long time and I only ever broke one at the stables. Mine were awesome and real though ;)

Lizzie0682
11-05-12, 11:32 AM
Yes! The trick as others have said is keeping them painted, think it makes you look after them a little more? I do a lot of training in my job and have to have decent (at least clean!!!) nails for lots of pointing. I have recently invested in a sensationail kit from boots, it's AMAZING! Gel lasts min of 2 weeks which you could extend by just topping up (makes it harder to eventually get of though), I haven't broke / snagged a nail since feb!! That's with 2 horse mucking out / poo picking daily and riding.

Lockie123
11-05-12, 11:38 AM
Yes it is! I'm not a poncey horse person - mine is on DIY. I have short acrylics that last anywhere between 2 and 4 weeks. As posted previously watch out for tight girth and also pulling haylage from round bales when it's got a bit stuck!

PolarSkye
11-05-12, 12:11 PM
Mine are strong and long but nothing can save them when you are around horses and when they are long when they break they break very very nastily! :( I actually cut mine now after a few horrible bruises under my nails when they broke off!

This. I keep mine short these days. I've had too many nails rip off well below where they should . . . plus, they're easier to keep clean when short.

Simples.

P

Pink_Lady
11-05-12, 12:14 PM
Go for acryllic tips tho don't have them too long .... cope fine with horsey jobs and especially handy for scraping any grease off whilst tack cleaning !

Last at least 3 weeks before needing an infill

solly3066
11-05-12, 12:50 PM
Even when mine are so short they dont extend past my finger ends they still split and break. My toe nails however, are like concrete !

LOL! Same here....if only toe nails could be like finger nails eh!

imr
11-05-12, 01:51 PM
Not me!

But my friend Sarah has TALONS. They are really long and all natural + some polish. They honestly grow about 5 times thicker than mine and they are very good for scraping dirt off tack etc !

*Maddy&Occhi*
11-05-12, 01:59 PM
I have acrylic nails and always managed...they were always covered in horse poo + god knows what else half the time though, o and on the odd occasion when my mare would try and kill me, one would snap of :p since I've taken a break from horses they somehow stay alot cleaner...my nail salon dont complain as much anymore ;)

AprilBlossom
11-05-12, 02:08 PM
Yeowch reading of acrylic nails reminds me of when I used to have them and I fell off...and landed on my hand... An acrylic nail WILL break in half if you drop 10st of bodyweight onto it from about 6feet, and when it breaks it WILL take your real nail with it too!

Ohh that was prob one of the most painful falls I've ever had, and the weeniest injury!

Prince33Sp4rkle
11-05-12, 04:00 PM
if you keep them short(level with tip of finger) the ends dont bend and snap and your polish wont flake so badly!

Mine are ALWAYS immaculately polished as OH likes me looking glam at all times,he's nto a fan of the *farmer wife look* as he calls it, lol, have found maybelline clear nail polish works fab as a top coat, extends life of each polich by about 4 days :)

coss
11-05-12, 04:06 PM
Have to say that every time i use nail varnish it weakens my nails! so i avoid painting them unless special occasions :eek:

topclass
11-05-12, 04:16 PM
I have acrylic long nails and run a yard and I never break them even when im using the post knocker and replaceing poles the fairies have broken doesnt bother me ive had them for years and had no problems at all. Love them.

mulledwhine
11-05-12, 04:19 PM
Have never had long nails, can't stop biting them, but the one time I had false ones, literally on the end of my fingers, it was a nightmare, could not do anything!!!!

I suppose it is different if you are used to nails, my false ones were so short no one noticed, but I gel a bit too 'dainty ' with them :D

mulledwhine
11-05-12, 04:21 PM
Ps prince33, do you really keep yourself neat and tidy because your boyfriend won't like it ????

:D not critising just wished I could be bothered LOl

Luci07
11-05-12, 04:23 PM
I try but end up using gel. Still Gel lasted a week only but will look at the suggestion of polish and filing small nicks!

wits end
11-05-12, 04:30 PM
I manage having nails + horses (goats, pigs and all the other stud paraphernalia :rolleyes:) + being a dr - it is possible!

Firewell
11-05-12, 04:46 PM
I love this thread :D.

I have crappy nails, soft horrible nails.

I keep them painted and wear gloves but as my nails flake so easily the polish only looks nice for one day. I literally have to paint my nails every night if I want to keep them nice...

unless...

I go to the salon and get bio gel on my nails. Its amazing, it's your own nails so no nasty acrylics damaging them further and it lasts for 3/4 weeks easily. Also because it protects your nails so well they grow!!

It's fab, unfortunatly the only salon that does them near me is miles away so I don't get them done that often anymore.

nikkimariet
11-05-12, 08:06 PM
Yep!

My nails are level with my fingertips, always filed, polished and the cuticles pushed back. They're not perfect by any means, but if they're clean and tidy it's just one less part of me that looks as frazzled as I feel!! :p

Chestnut mare
11-05-12, 08:13 PM
Yes- I have Shellac it is guaranteed to wear with no chips for 2 weeks (mine lasts 4) it makes your nails very strong. I do the horses daily and it still wears very well. Look it up :)

Super_Kat
12-05-12, 06:33 PM
Yes- I have Shellac it is guaranteed to wear with no chips for 2 weeks (mine lasts 4) it makes your nails very strong. I do the horses daily and it still wears very well. Look it up :)

I looked at this but my nails grow quite quickly, I file them down and tidy the shape up at least 3 times a week, my nails would be crazy long if I left them for 2 weeks :eek:

gracee
12-05-12, 09:22 PM
My nails are a wreck!
I've recently got my new horse and before him my nails were really nice and strong/had a nice length as I wasn't riding, but now after about 4 days of having him my nails are awful. They keep breaking and catching as they are half splitting forcing me to then cut them. I suppose it's something you have to sacrifice if you want a horse :)

orionstar
12-05-12, 09:31 PM
Yes, mine currently have metallic green and white crackle glaze polish on them - looks like toothpaste:D, but I can point out after letting them get too long I have snapped 5 in the space of a week. It does help just keeping varnish on them, and it helps hide the black fingernails underneath when you go straight to work from the yard:eek: