PDA

View Full Version : Clippers

Rosie'smum
28-08-11, 09:36 AM
What would you think would be the best quiet clippers that are cheap? They need to be quiet as poss as Rose is scared of them. I was thinking of the liveryman harmony ones, what you think?

Rosie'smum
28-08-11, 10:03 AM
Actually now thinking of these Wahl Artiko Mains Horse Clipper

Rosie'smum
28-08-11, 10:27 AM
or these now :)
Masterclip Royale?

Sorry coudnt find edit button

Lucy_Ally
28-08-11, 10:54 AM
I have the liveryman harmony and they're fab, really quiet. Will happily do a blanket clip on my large hairy IDx off the battery.

StormyMoments
28-08-11, 10:59 AM
i have moser avlon ones they are very good best clippers i have had but they are pushing 250 :/ have you looked at second hand ones? if not the liveryman ones are good :)

Shear Ease
29-08-11, 02:59 AM
Actually now thinking of these Wahl Artiko Mains Horse Clipper Dont buy these!! Great clippers but they are a moser max 45 (reviewed below) with a wide blade fitted and about another 20 added on top of the price!

Firstly you have Oster Golden A5 clippers. These come in single and twin speed models. They are one of the most robust clippers suitable for you. They have a 35w motor which should breeze through feathers and will knock out a bib clip with no problems at all. It takes all A5 blades, is fairly quiet and still holds its position as number 1 clipper for vets. We see them in for repair having been used on horses and they are in no worse shape than when they are used on dogs. The handpeice is bulky and no consideration is made for the shape of the users hand. The armature sits in two solid brass bearrings which means it is prone to get warm easy. Oster did make an unbreakable case which lived up to its name but seem to have gone back to the bakelite cases which break just by looking at the floor. A single speed can be found with a blade for about 110. Add another 20 or so for the twin speed version. Ask to get the standard blade supplied swapped out for a wide blade which may cost extra.

You then have a moser max 45 clipper. These are a twin speed clipper with more than enough power and guts to cope with your needs. Although it is not quite as awkward as the oster clipper, it is not much more compact either, however consideration is given to the shape of the users hand which makes it fairly nice to handle. There are no design faults with the clipper and it comes with a 2 year warranty. The only thing to be said is that occasionally a brand new one will stop working and for some unknown reason, the motor goes, which burns one of the fuses on the board. This repair is expensive, but is balanced with the favorable length of the warranty. Moser changed the design of the drive lever to a very nasty one which broke all the time, generating unwanted reviews from those who it snapped for. They have since changed the drive lever back to the original and is now as good as ever. The clippers casing is of good quality and will survive most drops. You should expect to pay about 110 for this clipper which you would expect to come with a blade. Ask to get the standard blade supplied swapped out for a wide blade which may cost extra.

The most expensive but best clipper for you is the Aesculap Fav5. It takes the same blades as the above 2 clippers. As with all Aesculap clippers everything from tip of the the drive lever to the earth pin on the plug sing beautifully yet stands solid as anything you can buy. It is quiet, powerful, designed with the users handshape in mind and is slimline. The armature sits in 2 ball bearings meaning there is almost no heat generated by the clipper itself. It is by far the most reliable clipper in its class. The case is unbreakable. We have tried to break the casing on this clipper - it really is impossible, the case bends in the vise and a lump hammer bounces off it. As with all A5 blades, if the clipper lands on the blade the tongue guide on the blade will probably bend making it wobble. You will need to part with 250 to get this clipper, which is costly, but great for someone who is willing to pay for luxury. I'm not sure whether that includes a blade or not but either way you would want a wide A5 style blade fitted.

Finally, (well maybe not the only clippers but as many as I can recommend/review!) there is an Andis AGC. It is light, lovely to hold and operate. We've never had one in for repair or service with evidence of use on horses but previous posts on H&H show it is not unheard of. It is a dog clipper, the same as the 2 above are. It is quiet and powerful. It has a ball bearing on both ends of the armature meaning it stays cool for longer. I'm sure it is more powerful than the Liveryman harmony clippers and has a higher build quality. The clippers come in a single and twin speed version costing 110 and 125 respectively. Again, ask to get the standard blade supplied swapped out for a wide blade which may cost extra.

Hope that helps!

Shear Ease
29-08-11, 03:01 AM
I have no experience of Masterclip Royale sorry!

Shear Ease
29-08-11, 03:05 AM
Sorry! Liveryman harmony clippers are pretty much similar to the Andis AGC clippers, slightly more slimline but lower build quality and I couldn't back it up with figures but certainly feel less powerful.

Rosie'smum
29-08-11, 09:03 AM
thanks very much for your reviews i shall go have a look into those. :)

ISHmad
29-08-11, 09:12 AM
I've got Lister Liberty clippers which I love and they are very quiet. Quite pricey but might be worth looking for a secondhand set if in good order.

Shear Ease
29-08-11, 09:37 AM
The problem with 2nd hand clippers is that with all the best intentions of the seller, they are not to know the condition of the clipper internally.

You could be buying your clipper from someone who's been dunking them in WD40 or diesel their whole life...yes, they may have been great and currently work great but without taking them apart you would not see that the inside is awash with grease and oil. This can cause the armature to burn out rendering the clipper not worth the purchase price.

If you want to buy 2nd hand clippers make sure they have been serviced in the last couple of weeks and that you can see a repair technicians report or job sheet on them.

Better still inquire at a company who repair horse clippers. They often have piles of 2nd hand spares for the borderline expense job. Ask if they would be able to build you a clipper from them spares.

And as a final note, a clipper that has had a bunch of parts changed is a better buy than a clipper that has 'been ultra reliable and has never needed any spare parts' In this situation if the make and model are a given, the one that has never had spare parts is alot more likely to need spare parts in the future, its time could be up. A clipper which has had spare parts is closer to new and therefor likely to last longer.

JenHunt
29-08-11, 10:26 PM
i have liveryman harmony and wahl avalon.... they are basiclly the same but the wahl is battery and the liveryman is mains. both really really quiet and easy to use.

Shear Ease
30-08-11, 08:16 AM
i have liveryman harmony and wahl avalon.... they are basiclly the same but the wahl is battery and the liveryman is mains. both really really quiet and easy to use.
Agreed. The (Moser) Avalon is the cordless version of Moser Artika or Moser Max 45, unfortunately you usually have to add another 100 on top to get the same clipper in a cordless version.

wallykissmas
30-08-11, 09:10 AM
Finally, (well maybe not the only clippers but as many as I can recommend/review!) there is an Andis AGC. It is light, lovely to hold and operate. We've never had one in for repair or service with evidence of use on horses but previous posts on H&H show it is not unheard of. It is a dog clipper, the same as the 2 above are. It is quiet and powerful. It has a ball bearing on both ends of the armature meaning it stays cool for longer. I'm sure it is more powerful than the Liveryman harmony clippers and has a higher build quality. The clippers come in a single and twin speed version costing 110 and 125 respectively. Again, ask to get the standard blade supplied swapped out for a wide blade which may cost extra.

Hope that helps!

Shear Ease ... are these the make that you mention above

http://angliaclipperservices.com/store/upload/index.php?route=product/product&path=35_29&product_id=148

How would the withstand to doing 2 clips per year on a shetland and a horse, full body leving legs ?

Shear Ease
31-08-11, 03:19 AM
Shear Ease ... are these the make that you mention above

How would the withstand to doing 2 clips per year on a shetland and a horse, full body leving legs ?

Yes, that is the twin speed AGC mentioned. You will need a wide blade also.

A full body clip...? Hmmm, you would either have to give your horse a real good clean before hand or be patient! Maybe have a 2nd set of blades on standby. Its not the clipper, I'm sure the clipper is more than match for what you want I'm just not 100% sure that the blades could handle a full clip in 1 go though. I suspect they would get hot quickly and maybe blunt.

I WILL get back to you after I have spoken to one of my colleagues that is better placed to advice on what is essentially a dog blade. I would recommend the clipper/blades in a flash for most clips other than full body but I will check whether it is suitable for the occasional full clip or not - sorry! I'll reply no later than 10 today.

Eihter way, it IS possible to find that clipper for 125, postage included. If you wanted the wide blade it can be found for 132 postage included.

wallykissmas
31-08-11, 07:47 AM
Thanks shear ease, if those wouldn't work could you suggest some that would but not over 150 mark. I know you suggested asking a repairs person to make up a pair. Thanks for your advise.

Shear Ease
31-08-11, 09:32 AM
Thanks shear ease, if those wouldn't work could you suggest some that would but not over 150 mark. I know you suggested asking a repairs person to make up a pair. Thanks for your advise.

I have asked a colleague of mine and she suggested that it is possible to do so but it will be slow and the blades will need lubricating and cleaning often.

In order to keep your blades cool and to keeop them from going blunt quickly you would need to lubricate them lots. Unfortunately this is not the sort of use that Andis clippers will appreciate. They are prone to going kapoot with any liquid anywhere near them!

Your best option based on what you've said is a Moser Max 45 fitted with a wide blade. This CAN be found for 117 including postage. It is not as quiet as the andis and is slightly larger but it is the best option given your budget. Again, you may be able to find a firm who will build you a clipper from good quality second hand spares, but as far as new clippers are concerned

NOISYGIRL
31-08-11, 09:42 AM
Actually now thinking of these Wahl Artiko Mains Horse Clipper

These are ok if you're only doing a bib/trace/blanket clip, I found they struggled to to a full clip, make sure your horse is bathed and clean. They ARE very quiet and I managed to clip my friends horse with them who was normally very nervous but didn't mind these. They are supposed to do a full clip and if its only for your horse then should be suitable. I would say though that you should buy the best you can afford. I bought my set for 134 from ebay, Paddock paradise I think the company was called, very good customer service. I sold them on ebay for bout 100 then bought my current clippers on ebay which are Liveryman Arena for 99 bargain ! I was a bit dubious as to wether to believe the seller but when they came they still had the warranty and stuff so I was really pleased