PDA

View Full Version : what girths do you use on your horse?

am3l1a
09-12-10, 01:00 PM
basically, just wanted to know what GP girths you use and what i should stay away from? i know one- sided elastic girths arn't supposed to be good, but what are your thoughts on both sided elastic girths and non-elastic girths? thank you!

kazhar
09-12-10, 01:06 PM
I use the wintec elastic girth which has elastic inside, but in the middle, if you get what I mean. My horse was very girthy when I got him so couldnt girth up too tightly an he is fine now with this girth. I also tried the aerborn humane girth which was good for doing a girth up slowly but if one of the buckles ever broke, it would then let the other one go loose which just made me feel unsafe.

Ella19
09-12-10, 01:06 PM
I have a synthetic aerbourne girth, it's the only type that doesn't rub my grey. I would have prefered a girth with no elastic as you can't over tighten it as easily but that was near impossible to find. So i've settled for one with elastic at both ends and just take care with tightening. Elastic at one end only can cause a pull effect on the saddle on one side only and either tip the saddle or pull the weight across the horses back which in turn could end up with problems.

am3l1a
09-12-10, 01:11 PM
yhh see that worries me about elasticated girths! i dont want to do it up too tight! is there a different rule when tightening an elasticated girth? should you leave it looser or tighter than a non elasticated one? it just worries me!

Pipkin
09-12-10, 01:21 PM
I`ve got a GFS shaped gel girth, its got built in elastic.

Gilbey
09-12-10, 01:40 PM
We always use an atherstone shaped leather girth with elastic at one end on all our horses. They are all sizes from coblets to giant warmbloods, TB to shires! We can honestly say that we have NEVER had a problem with them and will continue to use. I just do the girth up as usual neither too tight or too loose! I do find them fab for my welsh coblet who tends to blow himself out.

ISHmad
09-12-10, 04:55 PM
We use the Stubben cord ones normally. Non elasticated and the horses seem really comfortable in them.

KatB
09-12-10, 05:01 PM
For GP saddles, Stubben cord girths are the nicest out there IMHO :) I use wintec and Thorowgood girths, but thats because I have to use a dressage girth (single flapped saddle) Would NEVER use a girth with elastic on one side.

kerilli
09-12-10, 05:14 PM
the wintec ones with a bit of give/elastic the whole way through are good.
the stubben cord ones, ditto.
Kay Humphries does webbing ones which are soft, non-stretch, quite thin (good under the flap, no bulk) and not expensive. I have a couple of these and really rate them.
for jumping - leather padded stud guard girth with elastic in the middle.

ofcourseyoucan
09-12-10, 05:19 PM
a good quality shaped leather one! i have both single and double elastic ones .. dont have a problem with either. you would have to pull the stretch excessively to girth too tight IMO.

am3l1a
09-12-10, 06:38 PM
a good quality shaped leather one! i have both single and double elastic ones .. dont have a problem with either. you would have to pull the stretch excessively to girth too tight IMO.

do you have any recommendations for a good quality double elasticated girths ..??

ofcourseyoucan
09-12-10, 06:41 PM
go to your saddler and ask him for an english atherstone girth with either one or both ends elasticated. he will be able to getyou one. i think you could pull a double ended one too tight if you pulled hard enough and not used to that bit of give!. i always work on the principle that i can get my hand in behind the girth. it also helps if your saddle is a good fit!

am3l1a
09-12-10, 06:53 PM
yhh thats what i thought, but then i've also read that one sided elastic girths are uneven pressure on the horse? so you just change which side the elastic is on each time you ride?

Solstar
09-12-10, 07:48 PM
I use the Pro Choice girths on my horses- elasticated at both ends, removable backing that is easy to wash and non-slip.

Britestar
09-12-10, 08:34 PM
I
Important to remember that, if you do have a single ended elastic girth, make sure you put the elastic on the off side of your saddle. At least that way you are less likely to over tighten. Everyone always forgets that.

kerilli
09-12-10, 09:17 PM
yhh thats what i thought, but then i've also read that one sided elastic girths are uneven pressure on the horse? so you just change which side the elastic is on each time you ride?

that doesn't really solve the problem. when the horse breathes really deeply, and/or when he jumps a (big, i guess) fence, he'll expand his chest and only the elastic side will give, so the tree of the saddle will be pulled against the spinous processes, sort of "jack-knife". could lead to soreness as well as horse diving to 1 side in midair etc.
i was told this by a top saddler.

CMMB
10-12-10, 03:43 PM
Just bought a GP flexigirth girth for our witherless Welsh D cross. Saddle always used to slip, but this is rock solid even when not done up tightly. Alright it looks a bit like a car seat belt but horse seems to like it - the give bit is in the middle over the sternum.

TallyHo123
10-12-10, 03:49 PM
I have a wintec one with elastic through it, a shaped GFS one which all the horses I have had seem very comfortable especially horses a bit 'touchy' and a thoroughgood one which came with my gelding - he's happy in it.

dibbin
10-12-10, 08:28 PM
I use the Cottage Craft parallel airflow girth, and always have. Never had a problem with one.

andraste
10-12-10, 08:33 PM
do you have any recommendations for a good quality double elasticated girths ..??

I use one of these and really like it. :)
http://www.shiresequestrian.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=913&cat=701&page=1

Andrea83
08-01-11, 06:30 PM
I use the Caldene padded atherstone girth (http://www.equestrianoutfitters.co.uk/caldene-padded-atherstone-girth.html)which I love - but if that's out of your budget Cottage craft do an atherstone girth which is cheaper, can find it at Equestrian Outfitters (http://www.equestrianoutfitters.co.uk/cottage-craft-leather-atherstone-girth.html) :)

charlie76
09-01-11, 01:21 PM
I have just bought a wintec Cair dressage girth, it set me back 123!! However, he was becoming very girthy ( after being frightened by the massage pad), I have only used the new girth and he was 100% better already.

Swizzle
23-01-11, 11:47 AM
To avoid 'overtightening' elastic girths whether two sides elactic or just one, choose a girth with triple layer elastic. These are much harder for the rider to pull up but they still allow the horse a little 'breathing space'

onemoretime
23-01-11, 06:48 PM
the wintec ones with a bit of give/elastic the whole way through are good.
the stubben cord ones, ditto.
Kay Humphries does webbing ones which are soft, non-stretch, quite thin (good under the flap, no bulk) and not expensive. I have a couple of these and really rate them.
for jumping - leather padded stud guard girth with elastic in the middle.

Hi Kerilli I have just been following this thread and wondered if a wintec girth with elastic through which you recommend, in dressage style would suit my mare. She is inclined to push the saddle over to the right, I do put a damp chamois under the saddle which helps a great deal with this. I would value your opinion on these girths. At present I have a leather 3 fold dressage girth on her which I had made by my saddler. Mare wears a Bates Caprilli saddle which is checked regularly by the saddler and fits her well, she is quite short in the back.