PDA

View Full Version : Don't land on your Feet its too dangerous

soulfull
30-10-10, 06:36 PM
I know our Dr instructor always tell us if we take the horse away we should be on our feet :D However landing on your feet is extremely dangerous.

It can break you back or neck or cause a fractured skull, not too mention breaking ankles BADLY (like me) and knees etc

I had no idea how risky it was until I did mine and then trained as a first responder for the ambulance service

blond1
30-10-10, 06:40 PM
Snap. I've done the badly broken ankle too after landing on my feet - a few years ago now but it's still not 100%

Jesstickle
30-10-10, 06:45 PM
Me also! Snapped two ligaments in my knee, tore another, tore my miniscus and knocked a huge lump of cartilage off my femur. Four months unable to walk, nine unable to ride and two ops to fix it. Not worth it just to look smart!!

_MizElz_
30-10-10, 06:54 PM
My riding instructor fell off Ellie during a gridwork session; he landed on his feet as it was a straightforward fall......and snapped both bones in his leg :eek:

quirky
30-10-10, 06:57 PM
Friend of mine horse spooked and she landed on her feet, resulting in a compound fracture. Not nice!!

only_me
30-10-10, 07:01 PM
Its quite hard to choose the part of your body you land on in a fall :p

But agree - but then I think dismounting when your feet are very cold is dangerous too! resulted in a stress fracture of the foot for me :o

NeilM
30-10-10, 07:01 PM
Watch parachutist when they land. Only those with modern wing type shoots ever land on their feet, everyone else rolls.

Edit: Only-Me: Not difficult, you need to land on your back if you are falling on normal ground or in a school. That way you can dissipate the energy of the fall.

soulfull
30-10-10, 07:04 PM
Watch parachutist when they land. Only those with modern wing type shoots ever land on their feet, everyone else rolls.

Edit: Only-Me: Not difficult, you need to land on your back if you are falling on normal ground or in a school. That way you can dissipate the energy of the fall.

Exactly!! so long as you roll that's fine :D

Parachutes should be available for riding too. My friend has joked for years for me to pack it, every time I told her I was going for a hack on my last horse LOL

Jesstickle
30-10-10, 07:06 PM
True that I didn't mean to land on my feet but I did think on the way down ( one of those nothing falls that happens in slow mo) Ooo, I'm going to land on my feet. The lads will be well impressed ( lads as in lads and lasses not that I was show boating for the boys!) Now I know why my mother always told me to try and land flat out. Wise old mother ship!

soulfull
30-10-10, 07:10 PM
True that I didn't mean to land on my feet but I did think on the way down ( one of those nothing falls that happens in slow mo) Ooo, I'm going to land on my feet. The lads will be well impressed ( lads as in lads and lasses not that I was show boating for the boys!) Now I know why my mother always told me to try and land flat out. Wise old mother ship!

yep I have landed directly on my back several times even without my BP and the worst I got was a trip to the chiro and phsyio
Mine too was one of those nothing falls!!! but foot ended up facing the wrong way :eek:

only_me
30-10-10, 07:14 PM

Lol, I know, its more remembering to not land on your feet! Ive always fallen onto side of back/hip - instinct I guess (well, apart from when I fell off onto my head over a hedge :p)

My first thought is either to hold onto reins (whilst swearing normally :o) or to move away from horse if he fell too.
Second thought is to get up! :)

The break fall that you teach is really good - ive been practising at home to try and get muscle memory :)

Brontie
30-10-10, 07:16 PM
Stupid question here? But surely a 8 stone person, has the same weight dismounting, as when falling onto their feet?.. So how does it do more damage than dismounting? :)

Kokopelli
30-10-10, 07:22 PM
Actually don't land on your back when there is a jump in the way, done this by accident and it hurt a lot :p

soulfull
30-10-10, 07:27 PM
Stupid question here? But surely a 8 stone person, has the same weight dismounting, as when falling onto their feet?.. So how does it do more damage than dismounting? :)

Because you don't just jump off, usually slide down. Also there is the speed to consider and placing the feet correctly. Dismounting is nothing like landing on your feet in a fall

Brontie
30-10-10, 07:28 PM
Because you don't just jump off, usually slide down. Also there is the speed to consider and placing the feet correctly. Dismounting is nothing like landing on your feet in a fall

I guess it's obvious ive never had an unscheduled dismount? :P

Seahorse
30-10-10, 07:37 PM
and me!! fractured my tibial plateau and had to have it pinned and plated plus a bone graft from my pelvis as I had compressed the bone 2cm :(
A woman at my yard broke her back when she fell off and landed on her knees.

I just try and not fall off now...

soulfull
30-10-10, 07:38 PM
I guess it's obvious ive never had an unscheduled dismount? :P

:D keep it that way :p

ElvisandTilly
30-10-10, 07:38 PM
I fell off jumping, knew I was going to do an unscheduled dismount so went to try and land on my feet. I landed on my right leg which took all my weight and I felt it snap.

If I had put both landing gear down it may have lessened the force through one leg.

Sat here, on week 11 since the fall, mending a broken ankle with plate, screws and pins in my tibia and damage to the cartilage surface which will mean traumatic arthritis will be my future :( and maybe fusion or ankle replacement.

I shall be going for lessons on how to roll once I am mended in the hope that I don't do anything like this again! :eek:

soulfull
30-10-10, 07:51 PM
I fell off jumping, knew I was going to do an unscheduled dismount so went to try and land on my feet. I landed on my right leg which took all my weight and I felt it snap.

If I had put both landing gear down it may have lessened the force through one leg.

Sat here, on week 11 since the fall, mending a broken ankle with plate, screws and pins in my tibia and damage to the cartilage surface which will mean traumatic arthritis will be my future :( and maybe fusion or ankle replacement.

I shall be going for lessons on how to roll once I am mended in the hope that I don't do anything like this again! :eek:

Ouch I landed on both feet but still broke my left ankle

Jesstickle
30-10-10, 07:52 PM
damage to the cartilage surface which will mean traumatic arthritis will be my future :( and maybe fusion or ankle replacement.

me too :( Thank god the NHS exists. I am truly truly thankful and grateful for the amazing job they did of fixing me up (and I hope the amazing job they will do when my knee needs replacing in the future) It's a long way off though so I try not to think about it!

Nari
30-10-10, 07:53 PM
Since I normally seem to be bucked off, often at speed, my main concern is getting clear of his great big ID feet that are pounding into the ground - compared to that how I fall pales into insignificance! Having said that I do seem to land on my back or side & roll &, touch wood, so far I've hobbled away from some potentially very nasty falls.

Jesstickle
30-10-10, 07:56 PM
Since I normally seem to be bucked off, often at speed, my main concern is getting clear of his great big ID feet that are pounding into the ground - compared to that how I fall pales into insignificance! Having said that I do seem to land on my back or side & roll &, touch wood, so far I've hobbled away from some potentially very nasty falls.

O I've been stepped on too when I've fallen off. Much the lesser of two evils!

Does anyone want to see the pictures. I have plenty as I'm a gruesome old mare!

ElvisandTilly
30-10-10, 08:06 PM
Ouch I landed on both feet but still broke my left ankle

I probably would have still broken it then. :( Just glad it wasn't my back or anything else. I then landed on my butt and banged the back of my head! You have given me lots of good advice already Soulfull like the supportive footwear etc. I just hope its a long time before I need to have the joint replaced.

Glad your enjoying your riding and all is going well. :D

ElvisandTilly
30-10-10, 08:10 PM
me too :( Thank god the NHS exists. I am truly truly thankful and grateful for the amazing job they did of fixing me up (and I hope the amazing job they will do when my knee needs replacing in the future) It's a long way off though so I try not to think about it!

The NHS has done a brill job of fixing me too. Heres to hoping that years and years pass before we need our bionic parts putting in!!

soulfull
30-10-10, 08:23 PM
I probably would have still broken it then. :( Just glad it wasn't my back or anything else. I then landed on my butt and banged the back of my head! You have given me lots of good advice already Soulfull like the supportive footwear etc. I just hope its a long time before I need to have the joint replaced.

Glad your enjoying your riding and all is going well. :D

Glad it was useful

I'm actually having a few bad days but that is probably because I have spent too much time at the yard and not done enough physio tut tut. Am intending to put that right tomorrow though

Mike007
30-10-10, 08:25 PM
The trick is to try and relax and sort of go with the flow ,and since that is energy ,it means you dissipate it over a longer period of time.Which is good!My ambition in a fall is to roll and bounce for as long as possible,and I have walked away from some pretty horrific falls.

mystiandsunny
30-10-10, 08:32 PM
The key is to keep moving, however you hit the ground - or all that energy goes through the bit of you that hit it first. I fell off far too much as a kid, so automatically always roll and roll then get up straight away (learned from friends behind me yelling "Mooooove, I can't stop!"). I did the same when catapulted off my scooter last year, and the policeman who attended the accident said he was amazed I hadn't broken any bones.

Jesstickle
30-10-10, 08:37 PM
even though no one asked for em......

My missing cartilage

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a450/jesstickle/P1010175.jpg

the staples which held me together

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a450/jesstickle/DSCF1199-1.jpg

o, and where I was stepped on

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a450/jesstickle/P1010176.jpg

icestationzebra
30-10-10, 08:59 PM
Agree. Thought I was smart landing on my feet XC schooling 2 years ago... leg broken in 3 places + a fracture. Cue Air Ambulance, doctors in A&E manually realigning my leg, horrendous op, 5 days in hospital, further op and 8 weeks non weight bearing. These days I always choose to land on my fat backside :D

NeilM
30-10-10, 09:04 PM
The break fall that you teach is really good - ive been practising at home to try and get muscle memory :)

Ooops sorry, I've sort of lost track of the HHO'ers who were there. Practice is good and plenty of it.

Brontie
30-10-10, 09:17 PM
What is this rolling manoeuvre you all speak of? :)

Mike007
30-10-10, 09:25 PM
Every fall has a horizontral and a vertical component. Never resist the horizontal component.The verticle component is the one that does the damage so try to slow it up,Its much easier to do than explain. Rolling is good.

only_me
30-10-10, 09:38 PM
lol, no, i wasnt there, was practising it from the reports on here :)

Mike007
30-10-10, 09:40 PM
http://www.digitalpicy.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewImage=109947 Photos !/10 sec apart on video it is just a blur, look where horse has put his feet!!:eek:Roll,if inellegant took all the sting out of this one.

ElvisandTilly
31-10-10, 01:52 PM
Soulfull - Hope your ankle feels better today for the rest and your physio exercises.

Jesstickle - Oh my that is a big chunk of cartilage!

Mike007 - That looks like a real serious accident! You are so lucky not to have broken anything. How close was your horses feet to you!

Quartz
31-10-10, 02:09 PM
I've always landed on my feet, always thought it looked rather smart! Now I have read all these I will be thinking about clinging on more tightly or not falling. Did land on my back once, when I was buckarooed from one end of the ring to the other and literally felt like I was flying when I went up into the the air and then landed flat on my back, luckily in a puddle so only hurt ego!!
So how do you roll when you fall, do you literally think of going into a ball before you reach the floor, and what part of your body do you want to take the impact?

Clodagh
31-10-10, 02:18 PM
My ankle is knackered from landing on my feet, I was having a row with my mare - and shes a 'Don't argue with me' type and she bucked me off so high I looked down at her back as she galloped off from under me, I went down on my feet without even bending a leg to avoid her.
Ouch!

Jesstickle
31-10-10, 07:38 PM
Jesstickle - Oh my that is a big chunk of cartilage!

Yep :) Knee replacement here I come!!

Jesstickle
31-10-10, 07:41 PM
http://www.digitalpicy.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewImage=109947 Photos !/10 sec apart on video it is just a blur, look where horse has put his feet!!:eek:Roll,if inellegant took all the sting out of this one.

Oh, and cripes! I'm glad that wasn't me. Knowing my luck I'd be dead from that one. I did my knee falling off from trot!

Dubsie
31-10-10, 08:23 PM
The trick is to try and relax and sort of go with the flow ,and since that is energy ,it means you dissipate it over a longer period of time.Which is good!My ambition in a fall is to roll and bounce for as long as possible,and I have walked away from some pretty horrific falls.

The last time I bounced and cured my sciatica. I remember thinking 'uh-oh I'm coming off - RELAX - don't want any broken bones' Bounced on bum, then back, then shoulders. Completely freed up the trapped nerve which had been very very uncomfortable.

gunnergundog
31-10-10, 08:32 PM
Yep! Landing on your feet on hard ground in July whilst eventing on the XC is bad news. Avulsion fractures in both ankles over ten years ago due to some t*t who had an airedale on a flexi lead but hadn't got the lead 'locked' so said dog lunged at my horse as I was passing. Now I have zero degrees plantarflexion, have to use USA custom made orthotics, can't walk bare foot and have developed my own style of lower leg position....but hey ho! I'm still alive, can still ride etc etc.:)

Nari
31-10-10, 08:37 PM
O I've been stepped on too when I've fallen off. Much the lesser of two evils!

Does anyone want to see the pictures. I have plenty as I'm a gruesome old mare!

While I'm not argueing that that's a nasty bruise it's nothing like the damage my lad would do if he were to land on me, he's given me worse bruises than that from a glancing blow.

Jesstickle
04-11-10, 08:34 PM
While I'm not argueing that that's a nasty bruise it's nothing like the damage my lad would do if he were to land on me, he's given me worse bruises than that from a glancing blow.

Really? Blimey he has big feet :) This was it five minutes after it happened. It got much blacker as time progressed! Plus it was so swollen out the side I couldn't do my trousers up. I don't have pictures of that though as this happened on the Monday and on the Wednesday I did my knee. Rubbish week that was! I reckon the handy layer of blubber I carry must have protected me!! I knew I had it for a reason. Hehe

MrsMozart
04-11-10, 08:52 PM
I wasn't well.

I kneew I was coming off, so thought "I won't get hurt thistime, I'll land on my feet!".

One broken back later (compression at L2).

Given that I went flying across the arena surface, damn good job I had my BP on or it would have been so much worse.

Sleepeeze_dad
05-11-10, 11:07 AM
I have no idea how you lot have the drive to get back on a horse after that lot. Hats off to you...

Hate to be a smarty bum but I have always rolled when I come off... gets me away from the horse and stops me messing up my knees. Learnt it when I used to ski like a madman, hence the weak knees especially the left one.

However I never did learn to keep my left elbow in. It's a right mess :P

Half-Halt
05-11-10, 11:11 AM
I've never had a choice on how i was going to land...it was always on my arse :D

RunToEarth
05-11-10, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure the OP realises that it is dangerous whichever way you fall off, it can lead to any number of injuries or possibly worse, and it could be debated that even getting on the horse to begin with is extremely dangerous- it is that calculated (or not) gamble that every rider decides to take.
from personal experience, I would advise everyone not to land on your face, especially not when the fixed peak is going to snap downwards and break your nose, to accompany the knocked out teeth and broken cheek bone, one of my least favourite falls to date.
But then again, no one intends to fall off (most of the time) and if we had a choice it would propably be into a soft bit landing on your bottom- sadly, we rarely land where and how we would like.

MrsMozart
05-11-10, 12:21 PM
Landed on my bum once, on the road. Back in the days when I had no bum padding to speak of. Felt like my spine was coming out of the top of my head :eek::rolleyes:.

Had an interview later that day - couldn't concentrate as too busy watching the pretty butterflies and light beams flying around the light bulb :D. I did apologise and tell her I thought I might be slightly concussed :rolleyes::eek::D

Horsetan
05-11-10, 03:04 PM
Watch parachutist when they land. Only those with modern wing type shoots ever land on their feet, everyone else rolls......

Alternatively, fall like a jump jockey. Works for me.

kerilli
05-11-10, 04:04 PM
the trouble is, most of us don't have time to decide which bit to land on. I've landed on my feet quite a few times with no injuries at all, but twice i've done it and damaged my right knee badly. I won't try to land on my feet, I'll attempt to tuck and roll if I get a spare nanosecond to think about it...

MrsMozart
05-11-10, 04:14 PM
I actually remember thinking "I'm coming off. I'm not going to get hurt this time - I have hold of her mane, I'll land on my feet and stay upright."

I was ill at the time and with hindsight should have been tucked up in bed.

I was also at the top of the arc over a jump, only about two feet, but given that she had over jumped and then there was the height of her body on top of that, high enough up not to make my cunning plan a cunning plan in any way, shape or form :eek::(

When younger I used to get dumped quite a lot (riding horses with a sense of the athletic), and never got hurt (slight concussion once), other than bruises.

kirstie
05-11-10, 04:16 PM
Last time I fell off I thought I was landing on my feet... I landed on my back and broke it. Sometimes things happen so fast.

LaurenM
05-11-10, 04:19 PM
I usually end up on my side/back and always wear a body protector. I couldn't imagine the pain of breaking a bone and wouldn't ever want to :(

carolineb
05-11-10, 04:42 PM
The last 2 bad falls I've had hurt a lot!!

One got totally jumped off and landed on my bum on hard floor. Thought I'd broken my back and couldn't get up for about 20 mins. THink I would have broken both ankles if I landed standing up because the school floor was so totally unforgiving.

Next got bucked off, landed on my bum yet broke my leg!! How does that work?

I was being really weedy at our first vale meet hunting last week thinking how do I roll if I think I'm going to fall off. Might have to practise!!