PDA

View Full Version : Why arnt over reach boots for the HIND legs invented?

TedwinkleJumper
08-09-10, 04:32 PM
Hello all, my new horse has recently started to stand on his right heel, yesterday is was tiny but today he stood on it again so it has skinned a bit more off his heel..
I cleaned it up and put a over reach boot on but was thinking that there must be over reach boots invented for the hind hoofs as so many people seem to have this problem...?
He has only done this since he has had new fetlock boots but i cant see how that would encourage him to stand on himself..
Any advice with how to deal with this welcome!
Thanks
:D

MissTyc
08-09-10, 04:36 PM
Well the clue is in the name!
however, would sausage "boots" be a solution for your problem?

Faracat
08-09-10, 04:36 PM
How about putting a sausage boot/fetlock ring on the hind leg with the cut?

http://www.intackshop.co.uk/images/Sausage%20Boot.jpg

MissMincePie&Brandy
08-09-10, 04:38 PM
Mine does that too! Try a sausage boot. That should help. The only problem is that they tend to rub my sensitive chap,.

I know what you mean, a nice soft pair of neoprene over reach boots would seem to be better. I tried a pair on his hind legs once, but he went absolutely nuts, so I took them off as soon as I was able to calm him down enough!

TedwinkleJumper
08-09-10, 04:42 PM
Yeah i think it would rub mine too, he is quite thin skinned.. Thanks :)

TedwinkleJumper
08-09-10, 04:44 PM
Well the clue is in the name!
however, would sausage "boots" be a solution for your problem?

I have seen high level dressage horses with back over reach boots on quite a few times now..
Its odd as he has only started to do it since he has had new fetlock boots on.. could that be something to do with it? :confused:

eatonbraynat
08-09-10, 04:46 PM
if they invented overreach boots for the hind legs how would they differ from the ones made for front legs???? They would look exactly the same!!!

keanmu
08-09-10, 04:47 PM
This question has made me laugh. I also use a sausage on my daughters shetland.

Dizzydancer
08-09-10, 04:51 PM
everyone i know who has a horse who kicks or stamps on their back feet including my own use over reach boots on the back feet aswell as the front. Never had an issue with them as long as ur horse is happy with you touching his feet shouldnt think he would be funny about it. However try without the fetlock boots maybe that is the reson hes doing it.

TedwinkleJumper
08-09-10, 04:54 PM
if they invented overreach boots for the hind legs how would they differ from the ones made for front legs???? They would look exactly the same!!!

No over reach boots i have fit the back hoofs..

MrsMozart
08-09-10, 04:56 PM
Don't the plain rubber ones fit?

I've used them all round to travel in before, but can't think what the fit was like... don't remember them being a problem.

TedwinkleJumper
08-09-10, 04:56 PM
everyone i know who has a horse who kicks or stamps on their back feet including my own use over reach boots on the back feet aswell as the front. Never had an issue with them as long as ur horse is happy with you touching his feet shouldnt think he would be funny about it. However try without the fetlock boots maybe that is the reson hes doing it.

http://www.dragonflysaddlery.co.uk/largeimages3/tri-zone%20fetlock%20boots.jpg These being the back boots... he has always worn fetlock boots with my but they have been slightly smaller..
Will try over reachers on the back too. Thanks! :)

HumBugsey
08-09-10, 04:58 PM
Team driving horses often have overreaches all round, well when you have 16 hooves moving at speed one is going to get stood on. I also used to work with a heavy horse who was turned out in overreaches on his hinds because he stood on them.

K27
08-09-10, 05:02 PM
When my horse has been newly shod I will put over reach boots on his hind feet as well as the fronts for when he's in the field and exercised, so he doesn't catch himself or stand on his shoes- as he is shod excessively long and wide at the heels especially in his hind feet.

I'd just put over reach boots on, or at least try them, you may well find you need to go up a size for the hind feet though.

RobinHood
08-09-10, 07:06 PM
Try a ring boot but not a sausage boot! A sausage boot is a fat leather ring that the horse wears in the stable to protect the elbow from the heel of the shoe when the horse lies down, definitely not suitable for riding in.

This is a sausage boot
http://www.dragonflysaddlery.co.uk/items/sausage_boot_T.jpg

OneInAMillion
08-09-10, 07:27 PM
When I used over reach boots on the back feet he would go mental and buck (he never bucks!) I have used pastern wraps instead and don't have a problem now...!

TedwinkleJumper
08-09-10, 07:32 PM
When I used over reach boots on the back feet he would go mental and buck (he never bucks!) I have used pastern wraps instead and don't have a problem now...!

A right, he has gone out with back over reach boot on over the cut and been long reined upto cantre without any fuss so i guess i will use some over reach, although there was some blood on the fetlock boot which was odd when the cut was on his heel.
Pastern wraps look like they wouldn't come low enough for were mine knocks
Thank!:D

deicinmerlyn
08-09-10, 08:42 PM
I put my TB out with over reach boots on all round. Never had a problem. (They are the same size as the front ones except I use neoprane on the front and rubber on the back)

He rubs easily but they have never rubbed him.

Mrs B
08-09-10, 08:52 PM
I have a similar problem. M has a dodgy right hind, which reaches under and across, especially in trot and he often clips his near hind at about coronary band height. He has had steroid injections into his sacro-illiac and hocks and back has been looked at, but it is now one of those problems that just IS and as such, has to be lived with. He is perfectly happy and not in pain, but it does cause scrape marks on his hind hooves.

I have tried a sausage boot, but the area of impact is below that (although it does improve it a bit as some blows bounce off). I have tried over-reach boots but they quickly get chunks taken out of them. I have tried the 'lock in' neoprene ones but he tends to stumble behind with these.

What DOES help (although designed for the forelegs) are Premier Equine's Combo Sports Boots. The only problem is they also shred with repeated impact from the opposite hoof, but I have modified mine by cutting up an old pair of rubber over-reach boots and sticking bits on the impact areas of the Combo Sports boots with Super-glue.

sidesaddlegirl
08-09-10, 09:03 PM
I just use normal rubber over reach boots with velcro on Hattie's hind legs for turnout as she has a tendency to step sideways onto the neighbouring hoof and pull off her shoe. I use the same size (medium) on all four legs, never had a problem.

TedwinkleJumper
08-09-10, 09:10 PM
I have a similar problem. M has a dodgy right hind, which reaches under and across, especially in trot and he often clips his near hind at about coronary band height. He has had steroid injections into his sacro-illiac and hocks and back has been looked at, but it is now one of those problems that just IS and as such, has to be lived with. He is perfectly happy and not in pain, but it does cause scrape marks on his hind hooves.

I have tried a sausage boot, but the area of impact is below that (although it does improve it a bit as some blows bounce off). I have tried over-reach boots but they quickly get chunks taken out of them. I have tried the 'lock in' neoprene ones but he tends to stumble behind with these.

What DOES help (although designed for the forelegs) are Premier Equine's Combo Sports Boots. The only problem is they also shred with repeated impact from the opposite hoof, but I have modified mine by cutting up an old pair of rubber over-reach boots and sticking bits on the impact areas of the Combo Sports boots with Super-glue.

Thankyou for that.
So your boots are now Premier Equine's Combo Super Sports Boots.?
Hybrid!

Mrs B
08-09-10, 09:21 PM
Thankyou for that.
So your boots are now Premier Equine's Combo Super Sports Boots.?
Hybrid!

Yes, but don't tell anyone until I patent my version....;)

TedwinkleJumper
08-09-10, 10:18 PM
Yes, but don't tell anyone until I patent my version....;)

Sounds like quite something! I have Combo boots from premier E aswell, with little over reach boots attatched but dont want them ruined for obvious reasons.... Masking tape and rubber boots i think!

kirstyl
08-09-10, 10:24 PM
I have seen high level dressage horses with back over reach boots on quite a few times now..
Its odd as he has only started to do it since he has had new fetlock boots on.. could that be something to do with it? :confused:

I recently had a WB dressage horse on loan. He came to me with a cut on the inside of one of his hind fetlocks that kept opening up every time I worked him. On the advice of my instructor I put neoprene overreach boots on behind to work him and once the cut had heeled, I was able to work him without. She did say that lots of top level dressage horses wear over reach boots behind so I felt I was in good company! We weren't any where near top level but hey, you can dream...!