PDA

View Full Version : poulticing a shoulder (also in veterinary)

wench
15-04-10, 08:31 PM
My horse has been kicked in the shoulder (as in right in the middle of his shoulder), and it now has a load of red gunk on the outside of it. I have given it a really good clean this evening, and tried to get rid of the gunk on the outside, and have got rid of some of it, but ideally want to try and get rid of all of it.

Has anyone got any idea how I could get some kind of poultice onto his shoulder so the gunk can try and soak and then hopefully it will come off, and then I will really be able to see whats going on.

The vet cant come out until Tuesday, so I am trying to do something about it myself. (I suspect by Tuesday it will be to far on healed to make it worthwhile for the vet to come out.)

ironhorse
15-04-10, 08:35 PM
I had to treat a horse with this sort of injury a few years ago. We used hot and cold fomentations - alternately applying hot and cold water via a cotton wool pad. We just did this a couple of times a day and then kept the wound as clean as possible in between. Not sure if this is still considered good practice, but it worked then!

GLEEK
15-04-10, 08:36 PM
Same kind of way as a hoof but masking tape to make the horse. Does leave sticky marks but it can wash off, (this is how i remember someone i know poulticing a back. You will no doubt have to use a lot of tape but it should be worth it. I wouldnt use the slver tape as it may rip the hair out unless you did it very gently when you take it off
Hope this helps