PDA

View Full Version : What's the strangest thing your horse eats? Are they allowed chocolate for easter?

katherine1975
04-04-10, 11:09 AM
Just wondering whether horses eat chocolate, and is it bad for them? Silly Easter post! Also what other strange things does your horse like? As they like polos so much do they eat mint plants?

Shay
04-04-10, 11:13 AM
My lad loves mint plants - I discovered that by mistake when he got into a herb garden at Pony Camp!

I wouldn't give him chocolate; but I don't think it's poisonous for them - it is for dogs.

You could try Gingernut biscuits - just about everything on the yard goes nuts for them. (The horses I mean. I hadn't asked the staff!) Bannanas can be quite popular. As can a lick (or huge mouthful!) of small owner's ice cream. Mr Whippy type appears the most popular. Guiness out of the can. (Not the bottle - too risky..) Crisps.

Once you take a group of pony club kids on a picnic ride you'd be amazed at what the ponies will eat!

katie_and_toto
04-04-10, 11:14 AM
Not sure about chocolate, but my pony loves bananas! :p

T_K
04-04-10, 11:16 AM
My Haffie stole worcester sauce crisps from me yesterday! I gave her one to show her how horrible they were and how she didn't want to bother me - but she wanted more. I think she'll eat anything apart from sugar free polos or spearmint stuff!

My NF likes to pick at thorny branches - she also likes cheese sandwiches - as we found out when we were trying to load her once, I think this might be a forester thing! They have evolved to steal sandwiches!

I used to have a pony who loved mars bars and coke, he would drink the coke out of a can or bottle.

My mum's old horse once nicked a burger over someone's shoulder!!

loz9
04-04-10, 12:02 PM
you name it my cobx will eat it! shes the equine equivalent of a labrador!!
Just a short list of her likes:
Creme eggs, any type of biscuit, tea, crisps, ice cream, haribo, & her weirdest one yet....mustard sandwiches!!! There are plenty of others, but I wont bore you!
So far the only thing she wont eat is Lincoln crib stop to stop her eating the wood in her stable!

VioletStripe
04-04-10, 12:07 PM
My friend's welshie likes to eat pot noodles!! I wish I were joking!! But my old loan pony used to like polos like most other horses, he would get them as a treat on easter, as well as some horse friendly flapjack thingies my tack shop used to sell! xx

cloptonpartridge
04-04-10, 12:21 PM
Mine likes steak crisps, wotsits, lemonade,coke,dr pepper and other peoples ice cream. Be warned if you go near him whith dr pepper though you are not allowed to leave till he's had the lot:D

Shysmum
04-04-10, 12:25 PM
erm......my lad grew up living next to a busy footpath, and so far I've found he has a liking for chocolate, biscuits, crisps, sandwiches, tea, coffee, fizzy drinks (almost a stampede if a can's opened), you name it. I don't eat anything around him now - waste of all that healthy hooves !!! sm x

LindyLulu
04-04-10, 12:47 PM
My old NF used to love orange ice lollies, sandwiches, crisps, grapes and ryvita to name but a few!

criso
04-04-10, 12:50 PM
My friend's welshie likes to eat pot noodles!!

My TB would try and nick pot noodles too. He would happily eat all sorts of things that aren't good for him but I limit him to fruit and veg treats. Loves Bananas so I save the skins for him and celery is another fave.

ChristmasSparkles
04-04-10, 12:58 PM
My TB adores bacon butties :s yes bad Binky for letting him eat that etc etc....but he'll sniff it out from a mile away at shows and get mugged until he gets said butty! So I look like a pig and buy two butties at shows now. One for me and one for him....saves me having mine pinched or some poor innocent bystander getting theirs nicked in a sneaky fashion!! lmao

bitlessbill
04-04-10, 01:47 PM
Bill loves bananas, skin and all and never known him refuse anything edible.

tonitot
04-04-10, 02:12 PM
Ted loves dolly mixture :) Ethel doesnt really understand treats and spends a long time sniffing them, taking them and shaking her head around before finally spitting them out and then she looks for more! She does this with mints, apples, carrots ... and yet she absolutly loved her horse lyx lick I got for her .. strange pony :P

wizbit
04-04-10, 03:24 PM
Mine loves bananas including skins, yogurts and corona!! :O

Hannah123
04-04-10, 03:29 PM
My horses strangly love shreddies! :D(sure its not too good for them but eh well!)
I've fed my pony chocolate before and it hasnt done her any harm but i would only give it in moderation as its full of sugar!!! xx

Crazy Friesian
04-04-10, 03:29 PM
Chocolate is poisonous to ALL animals - including humans strangely. Though less toxic to humans due to the amount it would require us to eat - 22kg!

It is to do with the metabolic rates of animals. I do believe there is no known antidote. Survival following an overdose of chocolate would very much depend on the condition of the animals liver, how much has been absorbed and how much the vet can flush through. Chocolate can build up in the liver so you would get a cumulative affect.. Not worth the risk in my honest opinion...

My horses eat most fruit including the skins of bananas, tea, biscuits....

mik
04-04-10, 03:35 PM
My welsh pony once ate roast beef and mustard sandwiches out of the picnic basket in our car boot at a pony club rally. My lad likes most of the above, but won't touch worming tablets, even when given by hand amidst extra strong mints, polos and apple bits. It's amazing, he can sense them a mile off, he will eat the duds (placebos), however....

Catcus
04-04-10, 06:39 PM
Chocolate is poisonous to ALL animals - including humans strangely. Though less toxic to humans due to the amount it would require us to eat - 22kg!

Lol that sounds like a challenge!

Mine eats anything, he's a complete gannet. Apart from oranges I've not found a single thing he won't eat (aside from bute :rolleyes:)... burgers, chips, pot noodles, mash, chocolate, crisps. He's terrible, he'll steal it right out your hands if you're not paying attention, hence knowing he'll eat all of the above!

ChristmasSparkles
04-04-10, 06:44 PM
Lol that sounds like a challenge!

LOL doesn't it XD you'd make it onto bizzare ER probably....

WelshMisfit
04-04-10, 06:50 PM
Magic will try almost anything. If he sees you eating anything he insists he has a taste as well. If he doesn't like it, (bananas, hates them!) he spits it out. His favourites are cheese and onion sandwiches, cherryade, salt and vinegar crisps and those sour fizzy sweets you can get. He goes mad for them! The only thing I can't get him to eat is wormer. He does the wall of death round the stable when it's time for worming. Crazy horse! http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/notallthere.gif

Toffee44
04-04-10, 08:03 PM
Oh god my horse is a dustbin. My boy eats anything hes offered. He was at our village fun run yesterday and lots of children lost sandwiches to my horse...He doesnt like guiness, which is odd coz hes irish but he does like pear cider.

I didnt know you can feed horses banana skins, I will try and give one in the skin now instead of finding old skins in my car, im a skank. Although my boy wont eat them but my very fussy mare will???????????????

smac
04-04-10, 08:17 PM
My cob who doesnt stop eating, wont eat anything "non-horsey" apples, carrots, polos and sometimes a little bit of bread is his limit. One of my Germans however loves food, espes bananas (and skin), oranges and watsits/ice buns you name it he will eat it. he likes chips but his favourite has got to be the homemade Jam tarts, he can spot the tin a mile off! Today he was given a mini caramel egg, he loved it!!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite
04-04-10, 08:20 PM
Mine adores Marmite sandwiches and will lick his lips for ages afterwards; also Gingernuts are good for bribery and corruption. He also scoffs down a banana if offered.

Ehm, might I sound a word of caution about horses eating stuff like worcester sauce crisps etc? I don't wanna sound stuffy but my old horse ate a bit of bread roll with barbeque sauce on it (which we think somebody had chucked in the field) and it gave him anaphylactic shock; his eyes, lips and nostrils swelled up so he was gasping for breath while we were waiting for the vet and it was awful. So I am just sounding a word of caution.

MochaDun
04-04-10, 08:24 PM
I don't let mine have anything 'human' ie, keep him just to what feed/forage horses are supposed to eat (though friend on yard will give him the occasional mint with my permission) but he did try and eat one of his own chestnuts once when it fell off as I was grooming him! He seemed to be quite enjoying it but eventually spat it out as I don't think he could break it up with his teeth - it was huge! He loves willow, bramble and hazel leaves, cow parsley, nettles and thistles but guess those are fairly natural.

Toffee44
04-04-10, 08:31 PM
My mare loves picking the purple flowers off thistles. She does it on hacks too.

FanyDuChamp
04-04-10, 08:54 PM
Captain loves ginger biscuits, flat tango and salted crisps, but by far his favourite is Kendal Mint cake, he loves it!

Fany eats anything,but loves parsnips and polos.

IsabelleJ
05-04-10, 12:30 AM
Sidney will eat ANYTHING!

Except... coffee cake? Someone had a slice they didn't want, and I thought he would eat it... but he looked at me in disgust and spat it out!

I once left some apples in a carrier bag near him... I came back to find that he had chewed the apples to mush THROUGH the bag! Odd horse, thank God he didn't try to eat them bag and all!

OH's Section A is fed anything you could possibly think of (not my idea!) The one thing I have seen her turn down is... pink wafer biscuits! OH feels the same about them too.

Isabelle

spookypony
05-04-10, 01:27 AM
The only thing the Spooky Pony has turned down so far is bananas. He's eaten (not often by my agency, I hasten to add) many of the odd things people have mentioned, but also prawn crackers and gummi candies, and appeared to enjoy sucking the juice out of orange slices. I don't tend to give him anything but a bit of fruit or veg when catching and turning out, but the second my back is turned, it appears that someone is stuffing something down his greedy gullet (big brown eyes, soft inquisitive nose, etc etc...).. Oh well, at least it's helped turn him from a fearful, nervous-around-people pony into a gently-searching-people's-pockets pony!

Scheherezade
05-04-10, 01:30 AM

It is to do with the metabolic rates of animals. I do believe there is no known antidote. Survival following an overdose of chocolate would very much depend on the condition of the animals liver, how much has been absorbed and how much the vet can flush through. Chocolate can build up in the liver so you would get a cumulative affect.. Not worth the risk in my honest opinion...

My horses eat most fruit including the skins of bananas, tea, biscuits....

Really? My dog once broke into a friends dining room and devoured about 15 easter eggs, plus the gift lindt bunnies, choc bars in the boxes etc. She was fine - mum just didn't give her dinner or breakfast. other dog also ate both layers of a milk tray box once aswell. Both fine with no problems.

Sleepeeze_dad
05-04-10, 06:43 AM
Really? My dog once broke into a friends dining room and devoured about 15 easter eggs, plus the gift lindt bunnies, choc bars in the boxes etc. She was fine - mum just didn't give her dinner or breakfast. other dog also ate both layers of a milk tray box once aswell. Both fine with no problems.

You were very lucky. The poisonous component to chocolate is Theobromine. Very dark (bitter and or cooking) chocolate has up to 100 times more in it than white chocolate - so if you're really determined to give your four legged friends a fix then go for the white.

If you're still not believing this, have a read...

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM

http://www.hillspet.co.uk/Dog/Adult/Health-and-Wellbeing/Is-chocolate-poisonous-to-dogs.aspx?sc_lang=en-GB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning

It appears it works its way out after about 20 hours so it is not a cumulative poison, like lead.

Rhody (beige boy in my sig) once scoffed 2 kilos of "dog" chocolate after actually unsdrewing the lid on the plastic jar they were in. He was very ill after. I count my lucky stars half of them were white as we would probably have come home to an ex-dog. So don't belive the labelling when products say they are "pet safe". Everything in moderation - however dogs and horses given the chance have no concept of the word :)

BTW I feel somehow cheated... my boy only has carrots, apples, herbal treats and polo mints. He hates everything else. Spits it out and looks at me so accusingly. I have a pie and chips man. " like pies and I like chips and I like pie and chips.". You know where you stand with a horse like that :)

Cocoa
06-04-10, 01:51 PM
Sorry guys, another quick word of warning...potatoes are also poisonous to horses so watch how many crisps etc they eat!

We have a horse on the yard that doesnt even look at what you are feeding him he just sees an outstretched hand and begins the vacuum cleaner like suction to make sure it cant get away! His favourite game is apple-bobbing so at least he has relatively healthy tastes!

ChristmasSparkles
06-04-10, 01:53 PM
Sorry guys, another quick word of warning...potatoes are also poisonous to horses so watch how many crisps etc they eat!

We have a horse on the yard that doesnt even look at what you are feeding him he just sees an outstretched hand and begins the vacuum cleaner like suction to make sure it cant get away! His favourite game is apple-bobbing so at least he has relatively healthy tastes!

It's raw potatoes that are poisonous, as they contain arsenic :)

marinitagsd
06-04-10, 01:55 PM
Mine love digestive biscuits and a cup of tea! ha ha
x

Puppy
06-04-10, 02:01 PM
QR - I really can't understand why anyone would let their horse eat human food. Fizzy drinks, burgers, chocolate bars are all colic waiting to happen :( :(

Cavblacks
06-04-10, 02:06 PM
Except... coffee cake? Someone had a slice they didn't want, and I thought he would eat it... but he looked at me in disgust and spat it out!

I would do the same if fed this!

ironhorse
06-04-10, 02:11 PM
My mare goes mad for coffee.. will lick it off your hands if you spill any! Wouldn't let her have more than a teaspoon full tho...she's neurotic enough without caffeine!
She adores thistles and will bite them down to the root if you graze her in hand...shame she doesn't like docks, there's masses in her field.

Spudlet
06-04-10, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=Catcus;8451420]Lol that sounds like a challenge!

QUOTE]

You took the words right out of my, errm, fingers:D

Isn't chocolate a banned substance for racehorses? I think I read that once in a Dick Francis book:D

My friend once had to stop someone feeding KFC-style chicken to one of the London RDA horses, she thought that was really a step too far...:eek::D

criso
06-04-10, 02:19 PM
Isn't chocolate a banned substance for racehorses? I think I read that once in a Dick Francis book:D

Think so, so is caffeine so no tea or coffee or cola either

RunToEarth
06-04-10, 02:20 PM
I don't feed my horses anything like that, they are happy with fruit, mints and horse treats as a treat and I would never entertain the idea of giving my horses any kind of chocolate or biscuit, although Bertha did once steal a cheese and pickle sandwich from me when I was about 12.
My coloured boy picked up the habit of picking up a bottle with his teeth and drinking it, which is handy when he is stood on the lorry after a show to give him some water, although I was mortified when he picked up my lucozade bottle off of the wall last year and gulped the lot!

SpecialContract
06-04-10, 02:21 PM
QR - I really can't understand why anyone would let their horse eat human food. Fizzy drinks, burgers, chocolate bars are all colic waiting to happen :( :(

Sometimes you can't stop them! My mare has caught me unawares a few times out at shows when I've been eating a burger or a piece of cake, and suddenly her muzzle is attached to the other end of it.

She once whipped a tuna sandwich out of a friends hand and scoffed the lot. That is probably the strangest thing she's ever eaten.

criso
06-04-10, 02:25 PM
Sometimes you can't stop them! My mare has caught me unawares a few times out at shows when I've been eating a burger or a piece of cake, and suddenly her muzzle is attached to the other end of it.

And it's amazing how their necks seem capable of extending when there is something potentially edible around.
I've come back to find that a bag that I though was out of reach is now safely in his stable and being gone through at leisure.
One time he got my purse and I never did find all the pound coins that were in it so there is a good chance they got eaten.

RunToEarth
06-04-10, 02:26 PM

Completely agree, still cannot get over how many people say they feed their horses chocolate and biscuits, there just isn't any need when there are so many fantastic treats out there and they get so much more goodness from fruit treats.

Archie73
06-04-10, 02:39 PM
Cocoa....are you sure its just raw potatoes....if so you have just made my boys day. a few mcoys salt and viniger crisps would send me up quite far in my boys estimation! he also likes grapes, melon, mango and bananas but he always gets upset when i take the skin back, i shall leave him to it seeing as other posters think its ok;-)

criso
06-04-10, 02:49 PM
With Banana skins
They did some research a while back on bananas providing protection against ulcers (think it was the atlanta olympics) and the best bit is the bit right by the skin on very ripe bananas.

But if the fruit has been treated with pesticides then they will accumulate in the skin. I'm OK as I get one of those organic boxes delivered so Frankie gets leftovers from that. Though not potatoes, was told years ago not to feed and never questioned it.

lillith
06-04-10, 03:36 PM
A mare I used to loan would have anything you were eating straight off you, made picnic rides more complicated, I ended up eating on her back to keep my munchies safe.

However the oddest thing she liked was....wormer. Seriously not just the flavoured ones either, she would lick it right off your hands. I tried to give it to her in the syringe first and she did a funny rolly eye thing the gobbed it all straight back into my hands then licked it off. After that I just fed it to her off my hands (gave a little more than rd for her weight in case any got lost.)

JenHunt
06-04-10, 03:53 PM

not of itself... but it contains caffeine and theobromine which are both banned stimulants.

(get me with the geekishness!) :o

lozz_jess_bhabbi
06-04-10, 04:03 PM
my boy like to drink them capr sun things out the straw it's so funny haha he also likes try eat blonde hair haha :L x

Prince33Sp4rkle
06-04-10, 04:24 PM
grapes! he wont eat apples or carrots, but loves grapes!

Kat
06-04-10, 05:04 PM
It's raw potatoes that are poisonous, as they contain arsenic :)

I hope that isn't true, I love raw potato!!! I always have a slice or two raw when I'm peeling and chopping them!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

ChristmasSparkles
06-04-10, 05:42 PM
I hope that isn't true, I love raw potato!!! I always have a slice or two raw when I'm peeling and chopping them!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I might be wrong tbf...just one of themthings you get told and never remmber if it was serious or not when you were told it! LOL.

Something to do with if you have the little green sprouts on them starting or something, they produce arsenic/solanin [sp?] substances?!

Theresa_F
06-04-10, 05:49 PM
I think Farra the clydesdale has the widest range of tastes out of all the horses we have had. She was seen enjoying tuna and mayo sarnies, with raspberry yoghurt, a fairy cake, half a kit kat, all washed down with fanta orange - she was sharing my niece's lunch box.

Naughty Stinky has been known to steal her cheese and ham sarnies and his treat at shows is to share a can of pepsi max or diet coke with lime - but not the cherry one. He holds the can in his mouth and swigs away.

Mum's Exmoor enjoyed corn beef and pickled onion sarnies (yuk).

Touch wood, mine have a very varied diet (they get all the bread and fruit/veggies scraps from home) and I have yet to have a horse colic.

glitterfuzz
06-04-10, 05:56 PM
I dont feed my horse human food. He doesnt get horse treats either as it just encourages bad behaviour. If hes good he gets a pat. I def dont feed him eater eggs!! Why would you feed a horse an easter egg!?

My old mare, however, once stole a prawn mayonaise sandwich!

Donkeymad
06-04-10, 06:45 PM
The majority of horses are not so sensitive that a little human food/drink will harm them. Whilst I would never advocate giving regularly or in large amounts, there really is little harm in the occasional small amount of human feeedstuffs.

It is correct that raw potatoes should never be fed, and raw green and/or sprouting potaoes should not be eaten by humans or animals.
I think tomatoes are bad for horses too (and gets bombarded with people whose horses eat tommies!)

abercrombie&titch
06-04-10, 07:22 PM
My old cob used to love to share my lunch... cheese and coleslaw butties went down well, (although any cheese butty would do!), and strawberry yoghurt.... and peaches (although he did used to spit out the stone!!!):)

MegaBeast
06-04-10, 07:39 PM
my mare has developed a taste for cabbage, I leave a whole one in a hook over manger for her over night, keeps her entertained for a while! As well parsnips, apples, carrots, herbal munchies.

She won't eat mints, bananas or oranges though. Have never tried grapes...

I do a know a horse that once cadged a piece of chicken tikka off me, and ate it!!! But rejected the offer of seconds :)

batty100
06-04-10, 10:11 PM
My old tb would only load if I stood at the top of the ramp and unpeeled a Cadburys Creme Egg - anything else wouldn't work!