PDA

View Full Version : Bitches First Season

BigRed
18-03-10, 04:17 PM
I have a 9 month old Lurcher Puppy. She is a whippet/JRT, and is only a small dog. On 6th March she started her first season. So she is now on day 12. She is bleeding very erratically, she seems to pass the odd drop of watery blood and then amost a spurt/spray. I have had lots of bitches before and am used to them being in season but I have never seen one like this. She seems very well and not bothered by it. Her vulva is normally puffy, but by now I would have expected the bleeding phase to have finished and to see her going into the clear discharge phase.

I am not planning on puppies, but I don't want to have her spayed at such a young age. I really wanted to wait until she was at least a year old.

Any advice ?

MurphysMinder
18-03-10, 04:44 PM
First seasons are often very erratic. Also I have had many a bitch carry on bleeding for 3/4 weeks. I mated a bitch on 15th day who was absolute full on colour (had no choice but to go that day) and she produced a litter of 7.
I wouldn't worry too much as long as she is fit and well in herself, most vets like to spay mid way between seasons, so if you leave her until she is just about a year should be fine. Obviously if the discharge gets very heavy or she appears unwell speak to your vet.