PDA

View Full Version : Kennel Cough

BigRed
12-10-09, 11:30 AM
I took my 12 year old dog along to the vets with the new Puppy when she had her first vaccination. 7 days later my old dog has Kennel cough, she sounds very rough and so she went back to the vets and they gave us some anti-bio's and told me to give her cough medicine. Can anyone tell me how long this will last. It is 4 days now and she is no better at all. We are going back to the vets on Wednesday night. Luckily the puppy seems to be OK.

soloabe
12-10-09, 11:39 AM
Not sure what advice i can give other than get well soon hugs!
Also antibiotics don't work for kennel cough its a virus.

Scranny_Ann
12-10-09, 11:49 AM
It will last usually about a week but can last longer, our shoot had it last year, some dogs coughed for 3 days, others for 2 weeks. Benolyn is the best mixture to give them. The anti-biotics will help, i had them for 4 of my dogs, the ones that had it the worst. The other 4 seemed to have mild symptoms and got over it pretty quick.

Hope she gets better soon (((vibes))) for coughing pooch x

xxmariexx
12-10-09, 11:52 AM
hi ive four dogs and 3 went down with this in the summer, our fourth dog was a young pup who didnt get it surprisingly! our staffie was the one who got it first went to the vet, given antibiotic's, and said childs honey is the best, the other two terrier's we didnt bother taking to the vets, all the dogs got it where we lived and no one else took there's, the terrier's without going to the vets got over it a lot quicker with just honey, its not very nice and they were all really down but recovered fine! think all in all it was about 10 days untill they got much better! hope this helps!!

MurphysMinder
12-10-09, 12:26 PM
My youngster had KC this summer,not a bad case, vet checked her over but no treatment given. I put manuka honey in her water and also put some on her feed, she was over it very quickly. Benylin is supposed to be the best thing, and if you can get hold of some manuka honey (most supermarkets sell it but you need at least 10+) try giving her that too. Hope she is soon on the mend.

BigRed
12-10-09, 04:23 PM
Thanks everyone. I hope she gets better soon, I hate to see and hear her this poorly.

severnmiles
12-10-09, 08:38 PM
Anyone know why we don't vaccinate against kennel cough as we do the 7 in 1?

The vaccines are readily available.

Scranny_Ann
13-10-09, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know why we don't vaccinate against kennel cough as we do the 7 in 1?

The vaccines are readily available.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm having all of mine vaccinated again in the next couple of weeks, having heard its possibly down this way 'doing the rounds' again.

Embob1
13-10-09, 10:20 AM
I work at a dog kennels and no dog is allowed in without the kennel cough vaccination, although over the summer there was an outbreak of it in the kennels, with around 40 dogs in, obviously it was difficult to get rid of as dogs kept passing it on etc.
But boss said there are so many different strains of kennel cough, the vaccination doesn't protect against all of them so there is always a chance a dog can get it, even after having the vaccination.
Although, we always found that it is usually the older dogs that got it (even with the vac.) obviously their immune systems etc aren't as tough as they used to be to fight it.

tracey01, as for your dog, I hope she gets better soon, as I said above, we found it was always the older dogs, so chances are your pup probably won't get it http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Some dogs at the kennels showed signs of it one day, and not the next, others could be going for 2 weeks and showing no signs of getting better. It depends on every dog. Although, you may find your dog takes a little longer to get over it because of her age, just take it easy, maybe take off her collar if she's wearing one, and be careful if you put her on the lead, as obviously that will make her cough more.

I hope she gets better soon, there is some good advice up there, so I hope the ideas help http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

suzysparkle
14-10-09, 11:37 PM
The vaccination is a waste of time if you ask me. Years ago we had 2 labs, both vaccinated aganst it, both caught it in kennels.
We vaccinate all our huskies for everything but kennel cough. 8 years ago our one adult caught kennel cough but our second (then 12 weeks) did not. He had also had the homeopathic kennel cough nosode. All ours now get said nosode and have never had kennel cough. Read into that what you well. Our (normal) vet reckons homeopathic kennel cough nosode is the ONLY thing that's worth using.