PDA

View Full Version : How many of you keep your horses out all the time?

Rouletterose
17-01-09, 09:11 PM
Just wondering? My two are having to live out now for a few months due to credit crunch and my bad back, they're not clipped and have brilliant fullneck, HW, extra deep rugs, loads of hay and feed, both warmbloods. But I'm sat here indoors miserable as sin listening to gale force winds and pouring rain and feeling sick hoping they're ok.
My best mate says I'm being a twit loads of horses are kept out(she keeps hers out and competes) and a lot of them are happier. What are your thoughts please? :

sea_view
17-01-09, 09:13 PM
I'm sure they will be grand, they sound wrapped up warm adn well fed, I presume that there is shelter - remember that is how horses are at their most natural outdoors - it is us humans that have made them into indoor pets!
X

Cahill
17-01-09, 09:13 PM
as long as their bodies are dry in the rugs they will be fine,maybe happier out imo.

Enfys
17-01-09, 09:27 PM
As above, don't worry, honestly, just keep them eating. I look at my temperature and feel a momentary twinge of guilt occasionally, but my bunch are fine although cold and snow is a lot better than wind, rain and mud I have to admit

Mulled Wine Moggy
17-01-09, 09:30 PM
They will be fine, these modern rugs are fabulous, the cover them up to their ears, they will be fine, honestly,dont worry http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
My girl lives out pretty much 365 days a year

LizzieJ
17-01-09, 09:30 PM
I keep mine out and they are definitely happier for it http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SO1
17-01-09, 09:39 PM
I keep my boy out as he refuses to stable - at first it was a bit of a pain as I wanted keep him in overnight but it has been a bit of a blessing as it is much cheaper and I don't have to muck out! He has a chaser clip and HW rug and when I turn him back out in the field he canters off to see his friends.

As long as they have enough to eat and there is some sheltered area you may find they prefer it to being in.

sueeltringham
17-01-09, 09:48 PM
Mine's lived out through the last 10 winters and is a welsh x tb with a tb type coat and only a medium weight rug. Providing plenty of hay/haylage 24/7 is the answer, I think. I've competed him from grass too. When I first got him he was stabled and only given turnour, but now living out he's a much happier, calmer horse. I'm sure yours will be fine!

Sue

Ranyhyn
17-01-09, 09:52 PM
My ISH lives out all year round and he's happy. Im sure your horses are fine - they wont wash away, my farrier always says!

spookypony
17-01-09, 10:05 PM
Mine's out, unclipped, no rug. He's a warm fuzzy furball! Even when it's cold and raining, he's in the middle of the field stuffing his face.

When I put him back out after riding today, he immediately rolled in the muddiest place in the field.

lilym
17-01-09, 10:34 PM
my D lives out all the time, although when my C is sold he will be on the main yard

samstar
17-01-09, 10:36 PM
my welshd x NF and dartmoor x tb both live out 24/7 365, and they live on top a very windy hill on the coast. http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

star
17-01-09, 11:05 PM
min are both out, one full clipped and rugged to the hilt, one unclipped with a MW turnout on. they have hay and some natural shelter. they'll be fine!

Rouletterose
17-01-09, 11:51 PM
To all of you and your responses a huge thankyou, I feel much better now, I was feeling guilty as hell.
I know a lot of people keep theirs out, I just had to hear it, your'e all brilliant, THANKS.

suzysparkle
18-01-09, 05:57 PM
My ISH lives out all year, and he's blanket clipped in winter. So long as they have rugs/shelter and plenty hay they are fine. All the Horses at my yard are out all the time.

badgerdog
18-01-09, 06:04 PM
My horses have lived out 24/7 for the past 5 years, without a field shelter and they have all preferred it (including a Warmblood and 7/8 TB)
I'm now down to only one horse (CobX) and she's out in only a rainsheet as she's extremely hardy and is a bit overweight.
As long as they have plenty to eat and have adaquate rugs on they'll be fine. http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Donkeymad
18-01-09, 06:56 PM
Ours are out all the time - even the donkeys! Warmest rug in use is a light medium weight.

Passtheshampoo
18-01-09, 11:48 PM
My two are out 24/7 365 days a year, one is rugged the other ID is unrugged and both looking extremely well on only grass and a mineral lick at the moment. Yes it's hard when you can hear the wind and rain battering outside and wonder if they're ok, but let's face it what would you prefer, your freedom to move and graze at will with your buddies or to be locked up in a small space for at least 12 hours a day?

CAYLA
19-01-09, 01:26 AM
My horse has lived out for the 18 years I have owned him, never rugged, has a thick wolly coat, has an open stable, he never goes in http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif he has haylage, and hard feed 1 x daily, I also had a hunter x, that lived out with him, I lost him b4 christmas, he used to be rugged, as he dropped weight rapidly, but they where never indoors, even though they had access.

Rouletterose
19-01-09, 10:17 AM
Once again thanks to everyone, you were all right, they were absolutely fine.

Cala, love your signature it's beautiful!!!
I have another friend whose horses live out with a huge shelter and none of them ever go in, even though it's plenty big enough and only 3 sided (so no fears of getting trapped).

I'm going to not worry anymore, they do look happier.