PDA

View Full Version : Wintec v Thorowgood

Sags_Deer
08-10-08, 09:25 AM
Any preferences. Im after cheapy saddle to back a horse with and as much as im not keen on synthetic reckon this would be the best bet until said horse changes shape. Now i think Wintec are bit better quality but just curious to know what other peoples thoughts are on this. Thanks

ernikins
08-10-08, 09:27 AM
I would go with Wintec!

rabatsa
08-10-08, 09:29 AM
I prefer the wintec but then the thoroughgoods I have used have all been older models, rather hard and soon looked shabby.

CBAnglo
08-10-08, 09:32 AM
Depends on the horse's breed.

ElvisandTilly
08-10-08, 10:36 AM
I have one of each and to be honest I much prefer the Thorowgood T4.

Foxfolly
08-10-08, 10:42 AM
Wintec as they have the interchangeable gullet!!
Unless Thorowgoods do now too??!!

ElvisandTilly
08-10-08, 11:48 AM
Thorowgoods now have changeable gullets and fish inserts for fine adjustment to fit.

lachlanandmarcus
08-10-08, 03:16 PM
Thorowgoods 10000000% every time, fantastic adjustability, and I got mine to back my girlie and was going to replace it with 'proper leather one' but have never bothered as it fits her great, doesnt get ruined in the rain and doesnt slip even tho she has no withers (its a maxam cob with fish and it has a 4th breeching girth strap which really helps).

The only bad thing is the synthetic girth straps, very stiff and mine eventually started to crack under the strain of holding in Haflinger tummy, so had them replaced with leather ones, cheap and quick job.

Very comfy to ride in, cheap to buy even new and easy to sell cos of the adjustability. Very good fit for anything even vaguely cobby, wintecs too banana shaped for most solid types.

I do use a Wintec girth (the one with the airholes thats elasticated along the whole length) and thats very good.

Donkeymad
08-10-08, 08:22 PM
Wouldn't touch the Wintecs, Thorowgoods are brill http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hollycat
08-10-08, 09:36 PM
I have a wintec Isabell which I really liked. However, as has been said, it depends on the breed of horse, as with the wintec the changable head plate doesn't seem to be very big. For example, it was fitted to my last horse with an extra wide Wintec gullet - but he is a medium with most brands, and an extra small for WOW/Amerigo. How does that all figure?????

Ottinmeg
11-10-08, 07:51 PM
just bought a T4 for my cob, can't comment on it yet as it's still being made! thought saddlers would stock at least one 17.5 inch saddle as standard!