PDA

View Full Version : Best Suppliment for Feet

amymay
11-07-08, 08:41 AM
Sorry, I know that this has been done to death.

But what suppliments do people rate to imrove the feet?

Thumper has been on a feed balancer since I got him - but his feet have not improved. If anything I'd say they were worse actually.

He is shod every 5 weeks - so it's not a lack of hoof management as it were.

lachlanandmarcus
11-07-08, 08:45 AM
Mine is unshod and I fed her Farriers formula and chaff for her first 12 months of ridden work and then moved onto Dengie Healthy Hooves which is lovely stuff and lo cal too, its got garlic and mint and nuts and chaff and biotin for the hooves.

Her hooves are just as good as when on FF but its a lot cheaper and just one thing to feed. NB dont confuse it with Spillers Happy Hoof which is supposed to be similar but is really dry and sawdusty, not up to snuff at all!

CBAnglo
11-07-08, 09:33 AM
Depends on what you need? If it is to harden them, have heard black sunflower seeds are brilliant.

My two have very dry feet and I just use NAF hoof moist every time I see them i.e. about 4 times a week. For growth etc I use Len Reys which is really good but they no longer make it (I have hoarded every bottle I could find), cornucrescine or Megatek rebuilder.

tabithakat64
11-07-08, 09:59 AM
I used Farriers Formula with the little ginger one, and her feet went from nearly unshoeable (I don't think this is even a word) to strong healthy feet that could be shod every 7 weeks over a period of nine months.
Her feet were very easily chipped and she wasn't keeping shoes on for more than a couple of weeks at a time and the farrier was having to use the same nail holes as her feet weren't growing (despite being appropriately feed and on good grazing) which was causing splits.
I would recommend Farriers Formula to anyone whose horses have 'bad' feet, however ten years ago this was one of the only products on the market and there may be cheaper alternatives that work just as well theses days.

RachelB
11-07-08, 10:27 AM
I used bog-standard NAF biotin for my horse's awful feet last year, they improved no end and both vet and farrier were very impressed six months on. I've just started her on Forumula 4 Feet on a lot of recommendations (for ease of use as it's pelleted and she's not getting the chaff at the moment to put the NAF biotin in). The F4F is also a general purpose supplement so that could replace your boy's other supplement http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BBs
11-07-08, 10:35 AM
Over the years i think ive tried every hoof supplement.
Different products help different horses.
So like Farriers Formula really helped Berties feet but made no difference to Winstons.
I now use Equine America Hoof Supplement. Winstons feet have changed dramatically. Farrier who curses any horse I buy because they all have rubbish feet is completely shocked at the change in winstons feet.
His feet always look a bit ropey in the summer due to being turned out 24/7 but rarely loses a shoe, in fact his feet are growing fast and very hard.
He does have a few slits atm due to the weather and being turned out, but is going 6 wks and lasting. Were as before would only go 4-5 wks.

scotsmare
11-07-08, 10:41 AM
We use formula 4 feet - brilliant stuff, horsey been on it for just over a month now and you can already see the difference in the growth. We use in conjunction with cornucresine.

RachelFerd
11-07-08, 10:41 AM
kevin Bacon's hoof dressing has always been reccomended by my farrier. That's a topical application for dry hooves. Found it to be much more effect than NAF hoof moist personally.

We had a mare on farriers formula once - she did have better feet eventually, but I think it may have been the result of good shoeing, not the food http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Maesfen
11-07-08, 10:49 AM
Believe it or not, my farrier does notice a difference (for the good I might add! http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) when horses are fed Blue Chip. Don't know if that's what you're feeding though.

amymay
11-07-08, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Believe it or not, my farrier does notice a difference (for the good I might add! http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) when horses are fed Blue Chip. Don't know if that's what you're feeding though.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's Red Mills stud balancer Pat.

Maesfen
11-07-08, 11:07 AM
Never been able to try it, what's it like; on other hand, don't tell me then I won't know what I've missed!
Have you tried gelatine, that's supposed to be good or as someone else said, black sunflower seeds. Brewers Yeast was very good for my lot and their coats through the winter and farrier has never complained about their hoof quality; they've been mostly on Baileys Economy Mix, nothing special at all and BY is the only supplement I use.

carolineb
11-07-08, 11:11 AM
I always use Kevin Bacon's hoof dressing on my horse - usually when he comes in at night in the winter or before he goes back out in the summer. I also use it instead of hoof oil when he's hunting because it does the same job but is good for the hoof.

My farrier suggested last week that I started using Kevin Bacon hoof formula to get his feet growing but obviously I can't tell the difference quite yet!!

amymay
11-07-08, 11:11 AM
Mmm intersting. You've mentioned brewers yeast to me before as well.

The Redmills feed is actually great stuff - all the horses here are on it and they look wonderful.

little_pink_piggies
11-07-08, 11:23 AM
Seaweed! (MUCH cheaper than most supplements!)

And if they've got absolutely appauling feet then newmarket hoof supplements good stuff!

Theresa_F
11-07-08, 11:28 AM
My boys have never had such tough feet since I fed BSS. It did take about 8 months to really show. My farrier groans when trimming and has to make sure he has his sharpest tools.

Cairo has been barefoot for nearly five years, but did have to have at least fronts on in the summer and sometimes a full set for two months. Since the BSS have been fed, his feet have not cracked or split for the past two years which is just as well, as we could never get hind shoes on him now due to old joints.

Chancer has never been shoed and his feet are now like iron.

Seems to encourage growth as well as toughness and gives a lovely coat. I feed a coffee mug twice a day and they love crunching them up.

Tia originally recommended them and there is plenty of info on the internet.

When really dry, I also use Boots aqueous cream as a very effective and cheap way of moisutrising them.

angieandstar
11-07-08, 11:38 AM
i use net tex summer hoof and winter hoof - the winter hoof is especially good stays on for ages and stops the feet getting waterlogged

Damnation
11-07-08, 11:47 AM
Limestone is amazing for hardening feet up. My TB was on it over winter and her feet improved significantly. I also know someone who bought a TB and his feet were so soft he couldn't even be walked on concrete and had to be barefoot for 2 months before his feet could hold a shoe. He was fed on Biotin (it does take a while to get into their system properly but I do notice a difference if the horse isn't being fed it) and my friend also used Hoof and Heal hoofoil about twice a week and then down to once a week, its a hoof oil that gets absorbed into the foot. It moisturises and hardens their feet. The farrier noticed a huge differance. Don't use it too much though as it does have advers affects if over used.
Hope this helps http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tabithakat64
11-07-08, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My boys have never had such tough feet since I fed BSS.

[/ QUOTE ] What's BSS?

KatB
11-07-08, 01:26 PM
Topspec feed balancer. http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Theresa_F
11-07-08, 02:51 PM
BSS - black sunflower seeds - get them in the bird food section. Also said to enhance blacks and greys colour.

S_N
11-07-08, 03:27 PM
Well I cannot tell you how all of mine's feet have improved in the last 6-9 months, since adding Brewers Yeast (feet, digestion and flies) and Black Sunflower Seeds (feet, coat & general well being). Hector's coat is to die for (though he has been on Karon Oil too, but now weaned off that) and B's coat is like a mirror and I rarely ever brush her tbth! The farrier on Monday said that her feet had improved dramtically since he first saw her in Feb (when I moved yards). Berry (24) also looks awesome and he is only on Hi Fi Lite and Black Sunflower Seeds and only shod infront, as he is out with H.

S_N
11-07-08, 03:48 PM
Forgot to add that I have fed gelatine in the past. I discovered this at JLC's as one of the stallions (not there now) was on it due to really awful feet! It seemed to do the trick for him, so I tried it with Topper and it helped him too!

alimb1
11-07-08, 08:49 PM
I feed farriers formula, my horse was losing shoes all the time, haven't lost 1 at all this year and feet look fab!

Haniki
11-07-08, 09:17 PM
I like Farriers Formula too (except the price....). I tried Formula 4 Feet for several months but didn't find it as good. I also like Kevin Bacon's hoof dressing. I've got 2 TB's with poor feet, well they are if I don't feed FF.

mazziek
12-07-08, 09:13 PM
hi,
i tried pro feet and farriers formula, only thing that works, which came farrier recommended in NAF biotin, two scoops a day, my highland x crumbly feet now in excellent condition.

hellybelly6
13-07-08, 03:06 PM
Hi
I have used Farriers, formula 4 feet and bluechip lami-lite

All have worked brilliantly on Jake's (clydesdale x highland) feet.

Holloa
14-07-08, 09:56 PM
Another vote for Farriers Formula!

Zoobie
15-07-08, 05:35 PM
I used farriers formula didn't work but am now using Better 4 hooves which is great also use Kevin Bacon Hoof dressing and a specially made up homeopathic remedy