PDA

View Full Version : Pramox - how long to wait before riding

SO1
19-06-08, 08:16 AM
Just wondered how long you have to wait before riding after giving them pramox - it would not be vigorous riding just a hack in walk - as my pony gets extremely bored and frustrated if he has to stay in his stable and I thought if I could take him for a long walk then that would stop him being so restless and might help relax him if he has to stay in whilst being wormed - he is not normally in as he doesn't like it.

scotsmare
19-06-08, 08:28 AM
He'll be fine to be ridden - you don't have to wait at all.

SO1
19-06-08, 08:33 AM
Fab - he is due to be wormed soon so that means I can take him out for a long relaxing walk instead of him being stuck in all day.

kanter
19-06-08, 09:10 AM
Why does he have to be in after being wormed?

SO1
19-06-08, 09:52 AM
Cos pramox kills earthworms and it says so on the packet!

kellyeaton
19-06-08, 12:20 PM
so if he does have worms it is best to stop in coz you can pick the poo up if he is out the worms and eggs will burrow in to the ground and when he grazes again he can pick them back up !

scotsmare
19-06-08, 12:22 PM
Exactly right babybells - no point in dumping them back in the paddocks to be eaten again!

merlinsquest
19-06-08, 08:27 PM
But arnt the worms dead when they are passed????

It was my understanding that you are advised to keep horses in as there can be damage to the flora/fauna of the grazing. But if you pick up the droppings for a couple of days then you could keep putting the horse out http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif