PDA

View Full Version : Tilted head in foal?

kumala
16-04-08, 11:20 AM
I went to see some of my friend's foals yesterday and one that was born sunday holds it head at a slight angle? It gallops and bucks around the field and seems to have no problems but i just noticed that he held his head to one side slightly, Any ideas on what it could be or will this improve when he unfolds properly?

amandathepanda
16-04-08, 11:22 AM
Could just be the way he was folded before birth but if worried then def speak to a vet about him.

Penniless
16-04-08, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went to see some of my friend's foals yesterday and one that was born sunday holds it head at a slight angle? It gallops and bucks around the field and seems to have no problems but i just noticed that he held his head to one side slightly, Any ideas on what it could be or will this improve when he unfolds properly?

[/ QUOTE ] Please don't panic, but do get your vet out to see the foal as soon as you can. We've come across this before in our working lives and if it's what it sounds like, you need your vet now.

kerilli
16-04-08, 02:08 PM
yes, definitely get a vet, and then depending on what they say, perhaps a chiro etc.
if untreated it can cause a lot of problems later in life. my best-ever mare had a chronic problem with her atlas/axis joint, probably from being dropped on her head when foaled standing up. i think it's got to be treated a.s.a.p. for a good outcome.

kumala
16-04-08, 04:36 PM
I will tell her to get the vet thank you for replies, i did suggest she got the vet on gut instinct. What do you think it sounds like Penniless in your experience?

Penniless
16-04-08, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will tell her to get the vet thank you for replies, i did suggest she got the vet on gut instinct. What do you think it sounds like Penniless in your experience?

[/ QUOTE ] Please don't everyone start shouting saying I shouldn't be saying this, but we have experienced foals and yearlings with heads on the sides and they have all been brain damaged, thankfully none of those that we've bred ourselves or by our stallion have been, but those we've worked with. We're not saying that your particular one is, but if we see a youngster with its head to one side, this is immediately what springs to mind to us and we've been 100% correct with the diagnosis once the vet has checked. This doesn't mean that the horse needs putting down - although in a very bad case it would have to be, but if it is only a slight tilt, with time it can come good although they never seem to turn out as well as those without the problem. Please don't panic at this because as we said, we can't see in person what you're seeing, we're only going on what you're saying and what we know from experience ourselves. I hope it turns out to be nothing more than a stiff neck.

foxviewstud
18-04-08, 02:08 PM
i would def get checked, at the start of this moth a friends mare foaled to my stallion and had a lovely coloured filly, she had a slight tilt which got worse, she died the nxt day dont think it was just because of that but vet thinks she may have damaged her neck while being born.